Forums

Topic: PlayStation Plus | OT |

Posts 601 to 620 of 751

nessisonett

@Voltan Oh wait, I’m an idiot, I already played Guardians. I really cannot read 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

It seems like about half of the list are old PS+ offerings and I already have them in my backlog anyways. Nothing yet that will cause me to upgrade. Only a few have I considered buying eventually like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Child of Light, and AC Valhalla. But I wouldn’t be playing any of those yet until I make some headway into my existing backlog.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WaterKirby_64

It would be super awesome for both Midnight Club: Street Racing and Midnight Club II for the PS2 to be on PS Plus Premium

WaterKirby_64

PSN: WaterKirby1964

sorteddan

I have subscribed to plus for years and have a substantial list of games I've added to library but never gotten around to. If I let the subscription run out but then re join at a later date, will I still have access to the games I've previously added or will it count as a separate account with no games? Anybody done this and know the answer?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

RogerRoger

@sorteddan As I currently understand it, PS Plus games are claimed against your PSN account, not your active subscription. That means that, so long as you're still using the same PSN account upon your return, you should still see everything you've ever claimed listed in your Library.

However, given all the changes being made to the service at the moment, I wouldn't even trust confirmation of this from Sony themselves. Not until the dust has settled, at any rate.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nomither6

@RogerRoger those games get locked if your plus subscription expires .

didn’t used to be like that back in day , you could sub and then un-sub and keep playing the free month games

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

Voltan

@nomither6 Was it? I thought it was always a "as long as you're subscribed" thing and I've been subbed since PS3 days.
Anyway, @sorteddan you definitely keep all the games in your library. The thing you might lose is your cloud saves - if you unsubscribe for more than 6 months.

Edit: Also, my understanding is that with the additional games in Extra and Premium tiers, it works more like PS Now - you can play them while they're on the list.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

RogerRoger

@nomither6 Yeah, sorry, I didn't explain myself very clearly up there. PS Plus games are claimed against your PSN account, but they still require an active PS Plus subscription to play.

My poorly-worded point was that, because they're associated with a PSN I.D. and not just the temporary subscription, they'll still be there when an old subscriber returns, provided they do so using the same PSN account. They should never "time out" of your Library, but they will need to connect online and check for an active subscription before they'll play.

And yes, as @Voltan rightly says, cloud saves get deleted after six months of PS Plus inactivity.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

I know that PS Plus is getting a massive shake up so these reviews might get lost in the discussion but my sub runs out next week so I thought I'd play a few more games from my PS Plus backlog and write a few thoughts. It's been a while so not sure how these reviews will turn out!

Uncanny Valley (PS4/Vita - played on Vita) - This game feels very similar to another PS Plus game that I briefly played, I think it was called Claire: Extended Cut. Except this one is much shorter (a couple hours or so), I played it on the train to and from work.

I mean yeah, you just do stuff in this game and the story just happens. It's a 2D game that plays over a few in-game days, you are forced to progress in the story because your character will fall asleep if you keep playing for too long after the day ends.

You play as a a new security guard at some sort of facility where there are currently hardly any other workers. I couldn't really work out if it was abandoned or if everyone was on break for some reason. It's supposed to be kind of creepy, I'd say the vibe is kind of Eraserhead like but not nearly as good. Similar to Eraserhead, the soundscape consists of like industrial machinery type sounds but it is played through what sounds like a retro game console sound chip.

I didn't really know what was going on throughout my playthrough. I just kept plodding along. I tried to do a few of what seemed like objectives but failed within the time limit. The game is supposed to be played multiple times, which I won't be doing but I suppose you could take notes during each playthrough so you don't need to do as many tasks (especially tasks related to finding information) to reach an objective on your next playthrough.

There is apparently a few different endings to this game. Spoiler and content warning but my playthrough ended when another character tied me up, cut my arms and legs off and cauterised the wounds so I was just a limbless torso. I have got no idea why, I guess she was just a bit of a weirdo. I suppose it was a cool scene though. Rating = S for short but I can't say I really cared about it while I was playing it

Element4l (PS Vita) - I was quite excited to play this game for some reason. Not sure why, I think I thought it was something that it wasn't. You play as Air and then you get the ability to change into Ice, Fire and Rock. You are just a ball of whatever matter you are. You change forms by pressing a different face button for each form. Ice slides, rock falls and is also quite heavy, air floats and pressing the air button will float you a bit higher and fire will shoot you forward a little but will explode if you touch anything.

You have to keep swapping between forms to progress, it can be a bit twitchy to make certain moves. Fire to go forward, Rock to bounce, Ice to slide, Air to float. I mean it's OK. If I had more time and interest then maybe I would continue with it but some bits are so tricky to manipulate that I don't think I'd have the patience to keep going. I have stopped my playthrough on level 2 or 3 or something. Rating = S for satisfied that I played it but I don't think it's worth my time to continue.

Type:Rider (PS4/Vita - played on PS4) - The icon for this game looks super generic and I had absolutely no idea what it was about. I am gutted that I didn't find out sooner because when I looked it up, I found out it was a platformer themed around the history of fonts and typefaces! Immediately I decided to upgrade my playthrough to the PS4 and I wasn't disappointed.

In this game you play as a colon, the punctuation character, not the large intestine. The colon sort of controls like a bouncy bicycle with no frame. There are roughly 8 worlds and all except one consist of 4 sections or levels). In each world (except one) you have the choice to collect 26 letters, a hard to find ampersand and 6 asterisks. The letters and ampersand are just for fun/OCD/bragging rights but each asterisk will prompt you to read a text entry.

This is where it gets interesting, each entry is in a loosely chronological order and details some of the history of writing, printing and typing, all the way from the pictorial languages of ancient history up to modern computer fonts.

I feel like a learned a lot in this game. I really had no idea that the creators of fonts were so well regarded in their respective eras. I'm still not really sure how somebody gets paid for being a font maker, especially since it transitioned from handmade printings to mechanical printings to the digital realm but it seems like a really cool job.

So that's the topic of the game, gameplay-wise it is a serviceable platformer. It's pretty straightforward and there are a couple of tricky bits including a mine cart section through the Clarendon (wild west style font) level. I mean, what platformer would be complete without a mine cart section! 😃.

It's such a weird one, I don't know how many people used to "play" on a PC when they were a kid. Not just the likes of Sim City, Command and Conquer and GTA but also MS Paint and MS Word. I used to have loads of fun messing around with fonts, clip arts and word arts etc. I really can't believe all of those fonts have such a deep history behind them, some going back hundreds of years!

Honestly, if you either have this in your PS Plus backlog or see it on sale for a quid then I can't recommend it enough. Especially if you have any passing curiosity about the story of that long list of fonts on MS Word or even as in my case, not realising I had a curiosity about them until this game gave me the story of them!

Rating = : to honour the protagonist. Best game I have played this week. Pretty damn cool!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Wow, that Uncanny Valley game sounds weird as heck?! Very unsettling and confusing and not at all satisfying. Don't blame you for not really caring about it during your playthrough. At least Element4l had a core premise and point to it, even if it lacked finesse in its execution; I think I'd respect that and wanna stick with it more as a result, rather than have sheer morbid curiosity carry me through to a limbless fate. I'm glad Type:Rider turned out to be such a pleasant surprise, and ended up rescuing your experimental trilogy at the end there. It sounds utterly delightful, so I'll definitely check that one out at some point, I reckon! Thanks for sharing!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers bud and cheers for reading!😃

I should probably clarify that I didn't care much about UV because I already didn't before I played it. I just chose it out of the mix of remaining Plus games because it had a HLTB time of 1.5hrs. I knew it was supposed to be played multiple times but that sort of game doesn't really appeal to me. It needs to be a blimmin good game for me to play it more than once, no matter how short it is!

I should also say that Element4l actually played pretty well but I didn't have the time or will power to learn and commit it's mechanics to muscle memory unfortunately. I think I thought it was going to be more of a slightly interactive "experience" than a full fledged twitch reflex game. It does pace those twitch moments out at least but yeah, just couldn't bring myself to carry on with it. A game where you have to die and repeat sections multiple times needs to blimmin good for me to play those sections again! (Intentional repeat of wording there.) I think also, in games that do have that sort of gameplay, they normally give you a good amount of time to get used to the play style. There might be a difficulty spike once you are already quite invested in the game but at least it's preceded by a fair learning curve. I think Element4l, while it does have a short tutorial, does throw you in the deep end a bit.

I thought I'd clarify because I wrote those reviews quite quickly when I had some downtime at work so I might have not been too clear in my thoughts on the games. Plus I didn't care much about the first two games in the end 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

sorteddan

@ralphdibny
I have been intrigued by Type Rider when I'd seen it on sale and scanned some reviews in the past. Good to see how much you enjoyed it and may push me to purchase at some point. Like you I had similar phases of mucking around on word processors or DTPs and also can, on occasion, be in the mood for learning obscure facts.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Type:Rider sounds like such a hilariously niche game but your review certainly makes it sound like it’s quite a decent game too.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

Thanks for reading peeps! 😃

@sorteddan it's only a few hours long so I'd say wait for a decent sale on it. I completed it over two evenings. There's also a speed run option in the game which I didn't bother with. I believe it includes both the PS4 and Vita versions, at least the Plus version did.

@Thrillho it certainly is niche! I do have a bias because I love platformers but I tend to only love either the classics, revivals of classics or games that have a seriously unique selling point or gimmick. In terms of original IPs that I've loved and that came out in the last 10-20 years or so, VVVVVV and Ori and the Blind Forest are the only 2D platformers I've truly loved. VVVVVV for its anti-gravity gimmick, soundtrack and just general world and atmosphere. Ori for its strangely rhythmic but still tough Donkey Kong-esque gameplay. I think I loved Type:Rider because it's USP was the educational aspect to it. The music is pretty good in it as well. The platforming wasn't mega hard or necessarily unique but the atmosphere and look of the game was very appealing and in keeping with its educational theme.

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Have you tried Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair? Quite an old school feeling platformer with lots of replay ability and some clever level design.

The titular lair is also fiendish but well done.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho nah not yet. I do own it and the first one on Switch but unfortunately, like most games I actually own, they are still in the backlog because I am so beholden to playing games on both subscription services before the games leave in the case of game pass or before my sub ends in the case of PS Plus lol. I am sort of looking forward to being sub-free at some point though!

See ya!

HallowMoonshadow

Just thought I'd ask @get2sammyb as I'm mighty curious but with the whole PS Plus revamp will you be doing reviews (& re-reviews of course) for certain games that appear on the service?

Shadow Hearts for example (if it is part of the service from that trademark) as it's never been re-released before to my knowledge and was obviously out way before Push was a thing.

I'm sure Ramsey wouldn't mind another JRPG to play and write about either

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@HallowMoonshadow That does sound like a good idea. Nintendo Life review all the games that come on the Switch Online service as well. Although I’m pretty sure they have a larger staff!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic