Forums

Topic: PlayStation Plus | OT |

Posts 621 to 640 of 751

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny It was gracious of you to go back and clarify those points on Friday, buddy, but I'd still say your initial reviews sounded fair, even with the additional context you provided. As you rightly say, any game that demands repetition, for whatever reason, needs to justify that request. If you weren't prepared to start over, or keep trying, regardless of circumstance then I reckon criticism is valid.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Seeing as we're really kinda only talking about the new plus service now I figured I'd move our chat over to here Rog πŸ˜„

RogerRoger wrote:

HallowMoonshadow Well, I did have a plan, but only the first Syphon Filter has appeared on the nascent service thusfar, so I'm hoping the sequels get added in short order, perhaps as part of the American or European launch. Otherwise it'll be less of a plan and more of an afternoon's distraction!

Yeah I did notice that. I'm sure the sequels will be added in due time.

Did look rather good though to my eyes (The footage for all the games looks good enough to me honestly I don't see most of the problems some have with the presentation). Trophies'll be a nice bonus to add some replayability to it πŸ˜„

RogerRoger wrote:

I'm sure you will be able to download Abe's Oddysee, or I hope you will, at least. Whenever I've pulled the trigger on a PS Store bundle before, it's counted the separate games in my Library.

It's been so long I honestly don't remember. Hopefully. Save sates will be a godsend for Abe's Oddysee (And I totally can't spell the word Odyssey properly thanks to unique spelling of it here )

... I do think some of the uproar of them using the PAL/50Hz versions is a teensy bit ridiculous myself when most of the people on here have no doubt only ever played the PAL versions of those games so won't typically* notice a difference compared to our US friends (who most certainly will) but I do hope they do add the NTSC/60Hz versions for them.

*(I know modern tvs only typically do 60Hz so there's trouble there with how it displays. Not to mention I'm only seeing second-hand footage so I can't fully experience it for myself... but I digress)

It'd also probably be a bit of a nightmare for them to impliment the 50Hz/60Hz versions thanks to it being tied to the PSN store compared to Switch's online subscription service being it's own separate entity where it can freely do that... At least I'd assume so.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@HallowMoonshadow Neat an' tidy, I approve!

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, the whole presentation thing has been blown out of all proportion. I'm gonna be more than a little disappointed if everybody's pointless insistence on 60fps leads to that ghosting fudge being applied as a universal constant across the entire range, because that I can notice, and it looks hideous. If that's the case, I might have to keep my collection on my PS3. I'm currently playing Tomb Raider Chronicles on there, and it looks stunning because I've turned off all of the console's fancy boosting, stretching and smoothing nonsense. It just runs how it's always done, how it's supposed to.

But hey, that's just me. You're right to note that there'll be regional discrepancy, and I do hope that each region gets the versions they're used to, so that it looks right in their eyes. That's actually where tying the service to the PS Store might pay off, now that you mention it.

When I replied the other day, I used Google to double-check your spelling of "Oddysee" because my brain, in its ignorance regarding the Oddworld games, immediately flagged it as a typo!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Just seen that Stray comes to PS Plus Extra day one, which is great news!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@JohnnyShoulder The game looks really good and it being included in extra is just the icing on the cake πŸ˜€

render

JohnnyShoulder

@render Feels like a good game tomplay after Elden Ring. Hopefully I will have finished by the time it is out! 🀣

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger wrote:

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, the whole presentation thing has been blown out of all proportion. I'm gonna be more than a little disappointed if everybody's pointless insistence on 60fps leads to that ghosting fudge being applied as a universal constant across the entire range, because that I can notice, and it looks hideous.

Yeah the ghosting effect that was added was the only thing I really noticed too.

I wouldn't say it's pointless (Though I understand what you mean Rog) as there are clear advantages to NTSC when the PAL versions weren't optimised correctly for the region but PAL PS1 games do typically have a better resolution.

I'm not sure about Ape Escape 1 but Ape Escape 2 on PS2 has an entirely different dub in PAL regions compared to america.

The UK one actually uses Japanese names so for example the main character is called Hikaru instead of being called Jimmy in the US version.

So if Ape Escape 1 has something similar maybe that's why they're the PAL region one as it's also the more accurate localisation? πŸ˜„

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Elodin

@JohnnyShoulder @render I was shocked that Stray will be day 1 psextra. I thought they mentioned no exclusives will be day 1. I'm glad they backtracked on it. Like you said Johnny, Stray will be a good palette cleanser between great games. Plus you play a cat. That in itself will be fun.

Elodin

HallowMoonshadow

Pretty sure they said only first party titles won't be there day 1 @Elodin. Everything else is fair game though πŸ˜„

Voltan

@HallowMoonshadow @Elodin Yep - even more specifically - they said it wouldn't work for them to put every 1st party game on the service. That doesn't even mean none of them will be there (I could see some of the unannounced live service games launching on the extra tier while not being free for essential subscribers).
I think it was a popular assumption that many indies would launch on PS Plus Extra in the future so this wasn't a big surprise to me (especially since the date leaked a while ago and seemed in line with the "mid-month ps plus refresh").

Voltan

trev666

as a uk PS1 player PAL versions were terrible sometimes with black borders and slower game play

trev666

Milktastrophe

Since July 19 is the third Tuesday of the month, that's probably when Extra/Premium will update. I hope that also means we'll learn what the update will be the Wednesday before instead of the day before like PS Now was doing.

1st Tuesday = essential monthly games
3rd Tuesday = extra/premium update

Milktastrophe

RogerRoger

@HallowMoonshadow My use of the word "pointless" back there was indeed inelegant, and I appreciate that you knew what I really meant. This is why I frequently knock out chunky paragraphs, because when I try and condense my thoughts, I pick the wrong words and come across all harsh and snappy!

Wow, that Ape Escape 2 situation makes for a fascinating case! Perhaps you're right, perhaps this'll be an issue that's decided on a game-by-game basis. Heck, if Sony are anything like me, they'll be wanting to get the awkward ones sorted first, so that it'll be relatively smooth sailing after launch. After all, new services are allowed to have rough starts. It's the mistakes months or years later that folks'll crucify you for!

Making It So Since 1987

Elodin

Anyone that had psnow for awhile know if either ps2 Champions of Norrath games was on it in the past? I'm really hoping they will be on premium. One of my all time favorite ps2 games.

Elodin

nessisonett

@Elodin Nope, only PS2 games were the ones that got specific PS4 ports. So the Star Wars games, Dark Cloud etc. Which is exactly what this new service is doing too.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Elodin

@nessisonett i never looked to deeply at that. Thats too bad. So many great games.

Elodin

Milktastrophe

Rollerdrome is suspected of launching onto PS+ Extra. The release date is the 3rd Tuesday of August at the time when the store updates the new PS+ Extra games.

Milktastrophe

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic