Forums

Topic: Playstation 4 Backloggery and most wanted!

Posts 561 to 580 of 699

mookysam

@Th3solution It's not as batsh*t bonkers as Automata, that's for sure! Automata is the better, more polished product, but I really quite liked Replicant. The story is the main draw and has some surprisingly emotional moments, packing a heavy punch in places. The main quest is really quite short, but to see everything requires three (four if you don't make a save before the final dungeon in route C) partial playthroughs. Thankfully runs two and three resume from the original midway point, so it isn't quite as much as it sounds. While they aren't as varied as Nier Automata's multiple routes, each new run inserts additional scenes that reveal more of the story, gradually shifting the players perception. Things the players assumes in route A are suddenly not all that clear cut even by the end of route B.

In terms of negatives, many of the side quests are mediocre, to the point where the game even jokes about it, but these can for the most part be comfortably ignored. That said, some later side quests do add to the richness of the world, with valuable snippets of dialogue here and there. Enemies are rather visually and mechanically repetitive, which is a shame, as although the combat system has been radically improved, the enemies don't really match it. There's also a lot of to-and-froing across the map. Thankfully Nier moves as fast as the wind, and there's a rather cute boar mount available in some areas. Later in the game a fast-travel-of sorts is unlocked, too.

I didn't play the original Nier myself, but based on what I've seen and read, the combat system has been drastically overhauled to be closer to an Automata-ish hack-and-slash, and the localisation has been spruced up. The latter point is quite important in terms of what it means for the two supporting characters and representation in gaming, as I believe it was wrong for the original release to cut it out. The original Nier was an ugly mess, so the visual improvements are very welcome, and while the original score was highly acclaimed, it too has been remastered to sound quite a bit punchier. In all it's a nice package and I'd recommend fans of Automata check it out.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@mookysam Wow, thanks a bunch for the excellent extended impressions! Perfect.

I think I’ll like the game, but I do remember that, like you say, reviews remarked that the side quests are pretty poor. I had heard the enemy variance was subpar as well. When the game was announced, I was initially excited about Replicant, but then lost a little of the anticipation when the reviews came out as middling. So I kinda forgot about the game for a while — and then when there was some recent talk about Nier Automata on the forums it woke up my interest in the franchise and I kept my eyes open for a sale and grabbed it. I was also encouraged by Dustin on Sacred Symbols citing it as probably his personal GOTY, although he was very careful not to recommend it universally to everyone. Your impressions seem to gel with that idea that it’s a flawed game but one that fans of Automata should really enjoy.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

mookysam

@Th3solution You're welcome, although now I really hope you like it. 🤣 Looking forward to reading your thoughts. It's still quite a unique title, and I really appreciated the care put into the remaster, given the sloppy efforts other companies have released this year.

Black Lives Matter

Th3solution

I’ve been trying to organize my thoughts and plans and figured I ought to update…

>>>>Previous Plans —

PS5
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - done and platinum!
Demon’s Souls - Not done yet, but edging closer and closer, making consistent progress.

PS4
Rime - done and platinum!
13 Sentinels - nope.

The Last of Us 2 - nope.

Vita
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - nope.

>>>>>>>Previously Planned Purchases -

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - not yet

Hades - not yet

Gran Turismo 7 - not yet

🔅🔅🔅🔅🔅🔅🔅

>>>>>>New Short-term Plan —

PS5
Demon’s Souls - I’m going to be sad to see this end, and would be tempted to restart with another build after I finish it, but the backlog looms. First task is to properly finish the game and see the ending though. Maybe within the next week…? Won’t be long now.
Dirt 5 - I’m halfway through the game, and although the repetitive nature of the game is now on full display, taking a drip-feed approach to playing just a handful of races intermittently has kept it fun enough to stay with it. I’ll probably end up trying for the platinum.
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Embarrassed to say I still have this in the backlog. I keep meaning to boot it up but something else keeps pushing it down. It might be time.
The Pathless - I’m keeping this on deck for the next month or so, as I think it will be a good change of pace indie style game to throw in the mix somewhere.

PS4
Mass Effect - I anticipate this will be my main game soon. Depending on how it goes, I might just abandon all other well-developed plans and just play the sequels too.
Resident Evil 4 - I’ve been deliberating which zombie game to play next and I’m leaning toward experiencing the next installment of the RE series, so switching out TLoU2 for this.

Vita
MGS2: Sons of Liberty - I almost didn’t put this in my plans again, since I have been negligent toward my Vita, but there’s an off-chance I’ll get some portable time over the next month or so.

>>>>>>Next Planned Purchases —

GT7 - depending on reviews and whether I feel compelled for more racing
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection - I want to replay these games at the highest fidelity available

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

It's been a hot minute since my last update!

Previous backlog:
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (3DS) - Finished
Call of Duty: Black Ops (360) - Finished
Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) - Finished
Kingdom Hearts III (PS4) - Finished

Previous upcoming purchases:
Grandia (Vita) - Not purchased
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (Vita) - Not purchased
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (PS4) - Not purchased
Oninaki (PS4) - Not purchased

Current backlog:
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4)
Forza Motorsport 6 (Xbox One)
No More Heroes (Wii)

Upcoming purchases:
Tons of 3DS and Wii U digital games

I have such a hard time buying planned games because I constantly change my mind. Which is why I'm only going to write a broad statement this time for 3DS and Wii U titles since there are a lot I want to buy on the eShops but I'm not sure if I want to buy exactly everything.

In terms of backlog, it took some time to get through KH3 and Shadow of the Colossus but I finally managed to play through all these games! I expect little difficulty with most of the current three titles as I'm already almost done with Diablo 3 (on the final act now) and I'm halfway through Forza Motorsport 6's career mode (which is probably my favourite racing sim of all time). However, I'm having so much trouble getting through No More Heroes. I haven't been this unmotivated to play a game in a very long time. The issues with it are 1) you are forced to do boring side missions in order to unlock the story missions, and 2) the story missions get progressively worse over time as there are boss fights with massive difficulty spikes and the levels become shorter and repetitive. I'm basically halfway through the game but it's taking me much longer than expected to get through it because it's so unrewarding. I can only do a few side missions and one story level each day before I'm completely drained. I still want to get through it since it's been in my backlog for over a decade.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

themcnoisy

@LtSarge I personally would avoid Odin sphere. On paper it sounds like my cup of tea but it gets tedious really quickly. Some of the mechanics have not aged well.

I can see why it was well regarded over on the PS2 when long games were restricted to 3d RPGs, but now with the plethora of long games to waste time. It doesn't stack up.

@Th3solution the mass effect remake was my GOTY sol. The first one is good, the second is a masterclass. The third is actually better than I recall. I think the ending might be different as well

Currently playing:

Ghost of Tsushima: Finish the campaign
Chess Ultra: get into the 1500s where I belong
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania: Complete world 4

To buy:

Gran Turismo 7

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

GodofCapcom

Here's mine, in "order"

Horizon Forbidden West
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7

Street Fighter 5
Far Cry 4
Dishonored 2
Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Control
Crash N Sane Trilogy
Hades
Yakuza Like a Dragon

Ninja Gaiden 1
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Assassin Creed 2
Assassin Creed Brotherhood
Assassin Creed Revelations
Assassin Creed 3
Assassin Creed 4

Ni no Kuni: WoWW
GTA: San Andreas
Days Gone
Shadow of War
Shadow of The Tomb Raider
L.A. Noire
Devil May Cry 4
Diablo 3
Jak 1
Jak 2
Jak 3
Jak X
XCOM 2

Assassin Creed Origins
Assassin Creed Odyssey
Assassin Creed Valhalla

I want to buy Dragons Dogma if there's a sequel in the making (pretty sure there is one)

Edited on by GodofCapcom

GodofCapcom

CJD87

Not very exciting, but will throw my hat into the ring nonetheless!

Purchased, pending delivery:

• Elden Ring (PS5), pre-ordered from Base.com and hoping/praying for early delivery on release day!

Purchased, in backlog:

• SIFU (PS5), downloaded off the hype regarding it being a 'difficult' game. Having beaten Returnal and DeS last year, I feel like another challenge could be on the cards!
  • Pokemon Arceus (Switch), brought recently.... not had a chance to boot up yet due to another Switch game consuming me!

Currently playing:

• Ghost Tsushima Director's Cut (PS5), loving this game. Played through and platinumed the base game on 'hard' difficulty, then ramped up to 'lethal' for Iki Island! Lethal is a solid challenge, and some of the duels in particular are quite rough! Beautiful game, and I think Iki is perhaps the most remarkable DLC I have ever come accross. The story really fleshes out Jin, who I perceived as a bit stoic in the base game. Iki also has some (brilliantly) campy 'horror' vibes... reminds me a bit of Resi 4 in places, which is meant as a compliment! But basically just great.
  • Salt and Sanctuary (Switch), this game is a MUST for anyone looking to kill a week or so before Elden Ring drops. Basically a 2D Dark Souls, with really great mechanics and a rich build/skill-tree system. Was cheap on e-shop and I took a punt based on recommendations... can't put it down!

The plan:

• Polish off the final Iki trophies on GoT (just collectibles) and then perhaps delve into NG+... but realistically I think I might quit Ghost after getting all the Iki trophies and then move onto SIFU instead.
  • Idea is to hopefully finish SIFU prior to Elden Ring arriving, depending of course on my resilience to tackle the challenge!
  • Continue with S&S on Switch when I am travelling with work, which is fairly frequent.

(nb. Horizon is exciting me also... BUT I never played Zero Dawn, and also I think it would be foolish to think I could/would enjoy 'double dipping' alongside Elden Ring. Will hopefully pick up in a sale. I generally like to have just 1 PS5 game running at a time, with 1 Switch game on the side)

Edited on by CJD87

CJD87

Th3solution

@themcnoisy Looking forward to it. If it has the Noisy seal of approval, it should be awesome. I played ME2 and 3 back on PS3, so will be happy to start at the beginning this time.

Thrillho

@RevGaming I bloody love XCOM2.

The War of the Chosen DLC is absolutely top notch too and expands on the base game so much. Great if you’ve not played before, even better if you have!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thanks for resurrecting this topic, buddy! Had forgotten all about it (evidently, as my last update was back in August) but you're right, it's a useful resource when things get cluttered.

Liking your new plan, too. It'll be great to see how you get along with Miles Morales, either before or after Mass Effect consumes all your gaming time for several months (my advice? Go for before). I also hope that the Gran Turismo 7 reviews support a purchase, and that it isn't arriving too soon after your struggle with DIRT 5. And yeah, having rediscovered my own Vita lately, here's to some handheld time! The Vita version of MGS2 is pretty solid, if you'll pardon the pun.

@LtSarge Congratulations on the clean sweep of your previous backlog, and yeah, don't blame you for wanting to hunt down any remaining games of interest on those eShops. Something tells me you're not gonna be alone in suddenly discovering a bunch of hidden gems over the next twelve months!

@RevGaming That's one heck of a list you've got there! You're gonna have a blast!

@CJD87 Real glad you're enjoying Iki Island so much, in Ghost of Tsushima. The more I think back over how gorgeous and immersive it was, the more I'm convinced I just played it at the wrong time, and ended up being unfairly grumpy towards it. Am gonna pencil in a replay someday, use some of the trophies I skipped as an excuse to go back and reassess my opinion. Have fun finishing it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

GodofCapcom

@Thrillho I don't play many Strategy games, so this should be a nice change of pace.

GodofCapcom

Ralizah

Let's review:

Ralizah wrote:

For the next few months, I plan to:

Finish Shin Megami Tensei V DONE!
Finish The Great Ace Attorney 2 Not yet
Play and finish Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 DONE!
Log at least twenty more hours into Monster Hunter Stories 2 Not yet
Log at least twenty hours into Pokemon Shining Pearl Yep

I also plan to purchase:
Pokemon Legends: Arceus (NS) at the end of January 2022. Yep

Not too bad.

Since then, I've also played and beaten:

• Intelligent Qube
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Mega Man Powered Up
  • Spyro the Dragon (via the Reignited Trilogy)

I plan to do the following by April 18th (my birthday; seemed as good a goal date as any):

• Finish The World Ends With You on NDS
  • Finish Pokemon Legends: Arceus on NS
  • Finish The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve on NS
  • Start, play, and beat Persona 5 Strikers on PS4

Planned Purchases thru April 18th:

• Either Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 OR Triangle Strategy on NS
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land on NS
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp on NS

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Previous Backlog:
Ace Combat 5: Squadron Leader (yep; saw its credits, at least)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (also yep, and got its platinum)
Headhunter: Redemption (alas, this got delayed)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (abandoned halfway through; I intend to return)

This is why I shouldn't set myself a specific schedule (he says without a hint of irony, right before he sets himself another schedule). Apparently I was in the mood to check out certain things back in August, but that mood must've shifted shortly after posting, because those incomplete goals aren't the result of anything external, like a lack of free gaming time.

Quite the opposite, in fact. I've completed thirty-six games since then.

Current Backlog:
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (PS4)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PSone)
Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PS Vita)

Upcoming Purchases:
Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe (PS4)
Star Trek: Resurgence (PS5)

My previous purchases included Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut and Sonic Colours Ultimate, both of which got themselves bought and played in short order.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@themcnoisy Have you played the Leifthrasir version of Odin Sphere? I really enjoyed the new combat and felt the game shone on the Vita.

mookysam wrote:

Currently Playing:

• Tales of Arise [PS5] - Haven't got back into it.
  • Metroid Dread [Switch] - A completion, yay!
  • Shin Megami Tensei V [Switch] - Put this to the side while I play Arceus.

Backlog:

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Not started
  • Pokémon Shining Pearl - Not started
  • Ys: Memories of Celceta - Not started
  • Ratchet & Clank: Nexus - Not started

Things to buy:

• Pokémon Legends: Arceus - Purchased and currently playing, albeit slowly

I didn't really stick to my plans much, but am going more with the flow now and playing what I feel like in any given moment rather than being too rigid. Playing a mixture of old favourites and backlog games is a good idea and has struck a nice balance. I haven't been well recently so haven't been gaming too much, but my main focus has been on my 3DS backlog.

That said...

Currently playing:

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey Atlantis Episode 3 DLC (PS5)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All (3DS)

Things I might play next:

• Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Nexus (PS3)
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds DLC (PS4)
  • Halo Reach (Xbox One)
  • Chrono Trigger (DS)

Things to Buy:

• Kirby and the Forgotten Land (maybe)

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter

CJD87

@RogerRoger Your comments on Ghost are quite interesting!

Whilst I have really enjoyed my time with it, I can 'objectively' step back and see why it wouldn't necessarily click for everyone.

In all honesty, I tried to start it several times... and just couldn't 'click' with it. Eventually I said I would force myself through Act1 and see how I felt about continuing. So glad I did, as the plot/game/mechanics really begin to open up within Act2 - not to mention some of the character developments are great (less so Jin the protagonist, but he really does shine in the Iki expansion!)

The thing that really changed it up for me was cranking the difficulty from Medium - - > Hard pretty much as soon as I started. I actually wish I played on Lethal for the 'base game', although I did do all of Iki on lethal. This added element of difficulty is 'do-able', but really makes you concentrate and plan your attacks properly... ensuring you use all the tools at your disposal.

Customisation and build awareness also are much more needed on hard/lethal, and all of a sudden you feel like you're actually playing a rich game!

Playing base and Iki back-to-back was interesting for me though, as I actually enjoyed Iki a lot more than the base game! The plot is wild, and the Iki antagonist is pretty preposterous in the best way (very 'Resident Evil' at times ha)

Let me know if you ever revisit? I cleaned up all the Iki trophies yesterday, have the plat on base game and now might dabble in NG+ and/or the online legends mode before Elden Ring next week.

Or indulge masochistic tendencies and (attempt to) tackle SIFU ha

CJD87

LtSarge

@themcnoisy Cheers for the heads-up! I'll have to look up some gameplay videos of Odin Sphere and see if it appeals to me or not. I mostly wanted this game because of how highly people speak of it, but perhaps it's not something that I'd like.

@RogerRoger Thanks! I've actually already bought tons of games on Wii U and 3DS these past few days, so that's one thing that I'm able to check off as finished in my next update!

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@CJD87 That's real interesting, that Tsushima only really clicked with you once you increased the difficulty a couple of notches. I think it's great when a game can appeal to all skill levels, as I'm somebody who usually shies away from a challenge, and I started Tsushima on Normal before knocking it down to Easy a couple hours later. We seem to have had similar experiences for opposite reasons, as I enjoyed it to start with, then struggled to find any motivation to continue, took a long break from it, then returned at the start of Act 2 and finally "got" it enough to complete both the core game and Iki Island together, in an unbroken run. You loved the challenge, whereas I came to appreciate the of it, and how you could make the game all flash and atmosphere without needing to break a sweat.

Big respect for sticking around and earning its platinum, as well as all the Iki Island trophies, and for doing it all on such high difficulty settings! Did you try the online stuff, by any chance? I didn't (not usually a big online gamer) but am tempted to at least see what they're all about at some point.

@LtSarge Yeah, not that I'm accusing you of having done this, but I always try to include something I'm currently playing, or nearly finished with, so that I've got a guaranteed victory next time I update!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@mookysam yes bro. I got up to around halfway through the second character and left it there. It's still in my collection funnily enough.

@CJD87 exactly mate, you need to make every outfit a different build. That's not explained at all in game and you have to flick on a button in the settings. Way better. I finished on hard as well and took me over 50 hours.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

CJD87

@RogerRoger Thanks for sharing your take on GoT - as you say, very interesting how the same game can cater to two different 'approaches' to playstyle (difficulty vs story).

This is exactly why I sit on the fence a bit, when it comes to the ongoing discourse regarding 'difficulty modes'.

For games like GoT, wide-sweeping and story-driven open world adventures, I am 100% in favour of multiple difficulties to ensure that enjoyment of the game is made feasible to as wide a demographic as possible. If I had not been able to dial up to hard/lethal, I would have for sure dropped it in Act1. Likely, I assume same for yourself - if a more story-focussed difficulty had not been available, you may have dropped as well?

However, saying that I do think there are anomolies to this rule... SIFU being a recent example where I think the difficulty level (and vision of the devs) should be maintained. Whereas GoT has so much to be enjoyed, and so many facets outside of 'challenge', I feel that SIFU is essentially a game that is all about overcoming difficulty. Having kicked off SIFU now (and getting my *ss kicked majorly!) I would argue that there would be precious little left to enjoy if it was made easier.

I haven't dabbled in the online mode for GoT at all, but I have heard amazing things about it...! Basically the next week I am killing time for Elden Ring, so if SIFU starts to REALLY p*ss me off (and I fail to git gud) then I'll prob jump into Ghost online.

How did you find Iki Island measured up against the base game btw?

CJD87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic