Forums

Topic: Persona 5

Posts 581 to 600 of 640

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The ending song for P5 is great! There’s a whole bit where Lyn hits a high note while the percussion kicks in which is a proper chefs kiss moment 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeeeeeeeah... I don't like Lyn's vocals at all @nessisonett

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy To be perfectly honest, I really dislike every battle track in Persona 5. But for me, the music all around Tokyo totally makes up for it.

Kidfried

I'm at what I expect to be halfway through the game now. I have no idea whether that's true.

But for now a short ranking of the Confidants so far:

1. Back-alley Doctor
2. Makoto
3. Morgana
4. Hifumi
5. Ichiko
6. Ann
7. Man of the people
8. Prosecutor
9. Ryuji
10. Takuto
11. Prison Master
12. Kasumi
13. Weapons dealer
14. Twin Wardens
15. Goro
16. Fortune Teller
17. Sojiro
18 Yuuki
19. Sadayo
21. Yusuke (really dislike him

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

Some stats:
Level 38
Beaten four palaces
Maxed two social stats!
Favorite location: Yongen-Jaya
Current persona: Lachesis
Tired of repetitive music: not at all, I love the music so much still (though my partner has grown really tired of it)

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Really nice thoughts there. You probably are around half way, but I can’t speak to the extra Royal content which adds a fair amount of content at the end, so it’s possible you’re a little shy of the halfway mark. And it depends on if you’re going to spend time in the late game fishing for the guardian, ranking and maxing your level in Mementos, doing all the targets in Mementos, fusing all the personas, getting the Strength persona maxed, etc.

As far as your confidant ranking, I actually agree with a lot of your top 10. Takemi ftw! I’d actually move Morgana and Ryuji down a bit and move Sojiro way up into the top 10. I didn’t care for him at first, but he ends up with a fantastic arc in the latter half, imo. I don’t actively dislike Yusuke, although his story was one of my least favorite. I’m not sure I’d put him at the very bottom, but in the lower half. Part of it is I’m not sure how realistic the idea of plagiarizing art is, since I’m not an artist, but it does seem a little unusual as a plot device.

Yuuki would probably be my bottom one; he’s just pretty annoying all across the board, both with the in-game dialogue and texts, as well as his side story. I would also move up Kawakami. It’s a strange relationship, to be sure, but something about her I found mildly endearing, despite the creepiness of it all. I’d have her in the middle somewhere.

Obviously I have no opinion of the Royal specific confidants, outside of the YouTube footage I watched after I completed the game. Kasumi seems kinda middling to me too. There are still a couple key confidants you’ve yet to encounter and so I’m curious what you think of them. One of them I liked, one I didn’t, although it was a case of awful voice acting ruining it for me in that individual.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

johncalmc

I finished Strikers and it was okay. Pretty good. That's fine. I missed social links. The story felt like a retread of 5. But I loved having the band back together.

I'm fuming at the trophy list though. It's one of those annoying ones where the trophy list is easy and then they have one obnoxious grindy one that takes like a billion hours to get. Canny.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

@Th3solution After playing some more, and spending time with Sojiro after reading your post, I must agree I was wrong about him. Probably top 10 material.

I like the confidants that are kinda all over the place, but Kawakami was too much. The switching between maid and teacher was just too much. The fact that she will still happily massage you after everything that happened and she "coming to her senses" was just stretching too far. Who would do such a thing, only someone very lonely and desperate. I love weird characters, but couldn't get into this.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Regarding Kawakami, I can definitely agree that it’s a strange and awkward exchange that is difficult to really invest any emotional tie, despite the game giving her an empathetic background story. In fact, it’s a little bit of a double standard the way the game treats her relationship and then vilifies Kamoshida. Obviously there is the large issue of consent that separates the two, but realistically Kawakami should be under fire as well. But taking all that clear narrative dissonance out of the picture, her perks are among the most useful in the game, whereby you get a lot of extra time when she calls teachers out of the class for you and then does the massage after a palace or mementos visit so you can spend some time on social links or character traits afterwards. Having her maxed was key to my being able to get all the confidants. So I guess the actual gameplay benefits is what made her confidant a worthwhile investment.

And its great that you warmed up to Sojiro, because his relationship feels among the most ‘real’ in the game to me.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Yea, his story felt real, and also unique. I haven't seen the theme of foster parentship done this well in video games (I know nothing of the subject btw).

The Temperance powers are definitely some of the best, but I didn't base my list on powers at all. Like you said, even within the strange world of Persona it just wasn't really believable for me.

Kidfried

Ralizah

RE Kawakami: It did always strike me as weird that you essentially have a slave who will jump on a dime to massage you for free. Not that I'm complaining: it's wonderful being able to go out at night.

Also, skipping class to read is really nice.

In terms of perks, Kawakami is definitely Best Girl.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

I don’t know what it’s like in Japan but the teacher giving you extracurricular massages is all a bit noncey.

mookysam

Well that's Persona 5 Royal completed. It only took me four months! It's very, very long and not as well paced as Persona 3 or 4, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

As for the Confidants: Kawakami is a creep. The way she keeps calling the main character "master" is gross. The woman should be ashamed of herself! Her final perk is very useful, although I didn't make much use of it as I didn't max her confidant until the third semester. I still find Mishima annoying and wished there was an option to slap him. My favourite original confidants are Futaba and Sojiro.

Royal confidant (well, an expansion of a confidant from the original game): Akechi is great. I hated him in the first game, but despite being quite insane and something of a psychopath, he's great. I love the English vocal performance when he drops all pretence of being the Detective Prince.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

MaulTsir

So I've took the plunge over the bank holiday weekend and started Persona 5, I've had massive doubts about the game since well Forever but seen as it's on ps plus collection I thought I'd give it a go. I am going to do something I don't usually and play 2 games at once, mainly because this game takes along time by the sounds of it and also so I don't get burnt out, if I just have a few sessions at a time I may enjoy it alot better although at some point it may end up being my main game 🤣

Anyway I'm about 10 hours in and I've got to say I'm enjoying it alot more than I thought I would, I was put off by all the videos I'd seen because the artwork during battles didn't appeal to me with the writing all over the place and the amount of text chat I'd heard a couple of people say it's all way to long and alot of it is just nonsense but from what I've played so far I'm a little bit hooked. Hopefully I can stick with it and make it all the way through.

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@MaulTsir Yeah, I got to where I just skimmed the text messages and even some of the main dialogue since chances are you’ll be reading or hearing it all again later anyways. 😅
But outside of that the story is actually good, so hopefully you continue to find enjoyment in it.

MaulTsir

@Th3solution yeah I've played a few more hours I barely feel like I'm scratching the surface as of yet and there hasn't been to much combat either but some of the conversations seem a but pointless as on they have nothing to do with the story just although I feel there's an over arching plot point that it's eventually all pointing too, I'm still enjoying it though and feel like I want to keep playing.

In honesty I never really fancied it but with it being on ps plus collection and the way nearly everyone raves about it I felt like I can't loose anything but time by giving it a go, I think it was your comments along with a few others that got my interest in it more active I've noticed we seem to have similar gaming interests and thoughts (trying to make that sound the least stalking I can) 🤣

MaulTsir

Kidfried

@MaulTsir Having played a looot of JRPG's, I'm kind of used of them being verbose to the point of repeating everything around ten times. Always felt like those game's writers, and Persona is no different, could use some basic lessons in writing.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@MaulTsir It makes me glad to see that my comments may have swayed you to give it a try! Although I often feel nervous when I praise or recommend a game because ultimately it may fall flat with someone else and then I feel a twinge of guilt for wasting a person’s time. 😅
But so long as you go in with eyes wide open to Persona 5’s quirks and shortcomings, then you can’t go wrong by at least trying it.

And I will say, and I apologize if I’m repeating what I may have said prior somewhere, that a person could probably go through the game much quicker than I did. At 130 hours for my playthrough, I think I’m at the far end of the spectrum for time to get to the end. It’s probably possible to get the main content done in 90-100 hours if you forego some of the superfluous side activities and social sim stuff. For me that was the most enjoyable part and so I made a conscious effort to level up every confidant and trait. Certainly a lot of that is optional.

I forget if you mentioned any prior experience with the franchise, either the other Persona games or the related SMT games. Have you ever played any of those? If not then the learning curve is probably pretty steep. Not that the turn based elemental weakness reliant combat is anything unique to JRPG’s, but it’s done in a way in the SMT games that if you don’t take advantage of utilizing weaknesses and strengths in your attacks and strategy then it can make for frustrating dungeon crawling. The buffs and debuffs are also more important to utilize than in other games, imo. But if you’ve played other Persona games then you’ll likely have fallen right back into a groove since the core combat philosophy is pretty consistent across the series, in my experience.

Really curious to see how you get along with it! Got a favorite character or confidant yet?

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

@Th3solution I'm going down the same route as you with this game. Playing it for 20 hours, beating a palace, and then taking a short break from the game again. I'll probably continue again in June!

Kidfried

Th3solution

It should have been called “Persona 5: Evergreen” because it sat in my backlog all year long. 😛

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.