Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 281 to 300 of 603

themcnoisy

@BlaBlaBla: I tried the up and Down mission were you blow up tanks and armoured units on a set of 2 paths. The extreme version is easier than the normal mission once you get a rocket launcher.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

usb

@mcnoisy I agree the game does have faults but what they have achieved is really good. There are so many good little touches to the game. Like having the zoo its not an essential part but its great how you can fulton animals and then go visit them. Beating up staff members and they thank you for it. The variety of companions are good each having a good skill set for different missions. Chapter 2 could have been done better I think it just needed more work. I also like the fact that you can not start a new game without deleting your old save file. What you do in the game really is final.

Have you tried the online gameplay? I tried it a few times

@elodin the puppy and the dog who he grows up to be is tough saying that he had to be evacuated a few times during some of my missions due to getting shot too much. I even shot him by accident once when he ran infront of my gun.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

themcnoisy

@dryrain: I've fallen out with D Dog like 50 times, he always gets in the way. I've blown him up, kicked him, hit him with stun bullets, locked him in rooms and lost him down mountains.

Last time on tonight. One last trophy. I cant get online I constantly need another update. So wont bother. One last hurrah.

usb

The game is getting 3 more maps for the online section of the game should be good. They will probably be paid download but there is an announcement next week.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Mega-Gazz

Just playing this game now. I'm on mission 29 or 30 IIRC. Its fun, but formulaic. I found Dishonored to be a better stealth-action game, tbh.

Anyhow, Question: Is it worth doing all the stuff after the game ends?

Mega-Gazz

Rudy_Manchego

@Mega-Gazz Can't help but agree. Once you get the end of the first part, you just play it all over and I never really bothered beyond that point. I really liked MGSV but my main issue with repetition was that you had loads of really cool options to do missions but really I found that just working on one style worked in 99% of situations. For me it was long distance sniping and using quiet as much as possible. Rarely did the missions force you out of the box (unless you are going for all optional mission objectives or getting S Rank).

I think it was bordering on instance classic if it wasn't for its story and repetetive flaws.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Rudy_Manchego you don't need to do the repeated missions to get to the ending. Just the new ones which show up. They are there as filler thats for sure but can be avoided. It's a pity you skipped them as bar the crazy tank battle defense level I found it to be challenging but fair.

themcnoisy

@dryrain hey dryrain just noticed this thread and was reminissing about times I agreed with you. Sorry for being a jerk a few months back, I didn't agree with you but that said I went too far, It was about games companies and the second hand market, Sorry bro and apologies for acting like a fool back then.

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy I know I know - I started playing the repeat missions, but couldn't face going up against that big metal b*st*rd again. I got pretty burnt out on it, I played it solidly for nearly 3 months, put in a lot of hours. I have kept it on my HDD just in case I ever go back and finish it. I probably will as I hate not finishing games. Excuses excuses!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

themcnoisy

@Rudy_Manchego it's worth it. Don't play the repeat missions just do the new ones. I can't remember how many but there's only 8 or 9 missions in chapter 2 you have to beat to progress the story.

johncalmc

@Rudy_Manchego Yup. My biggest problem with it - aside from the story being rotten - was that there's about fifteen hours of content stretched out for like a hundred hours. You just do the same thing repeatedly. All the missions are basically the same, some of them are identical, most of them are filler. The gameplay is amazing, but they must have spent so much time perfecting that that they never managed to construct an actual game around it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy I will get back to it, I will add it to my List of 2017 things to do (alongside starting and finishing Bloodborne, finishing Persona 4 and plat'ing Bioshock Infinite).

@johncalmc I completely agree, I mentioned it earlier but the gameplay gave you a million ways to do things but, at the same time, repeated the same missions which you can easily complete using just one play style.

I think these issues with the game are to do with the budget overruns and Konami/Kojima fall out. I still think it is a great game and that the gameplay and environment are truly amazing. It is clear that's where the money went and then they were forced to get it out as soon as possible.

johncalmc

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, I think it's a situation where Konami ran out of money/patience with the project and the team was forced meet a deadline. Personally, I think it's one of the most overrated games of the generation, and it only got the strong reviews that it did because it was reviewed under Konami bootcamp conditions which are specifically designed to boost review scores by controlling how the reviewers play the game. It's a fantastic gameplay system, but the story is a shambles, the mission structure is repetitive and boring, and the open world is lifeless and dull. It ain't finished.

johncalmc

Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@johncalmc my thoughts exactly and i'm sure the Konami working conditions had something to do with it but honestly i think Kojima was a bit full of himself with this one too, his name appears all over the place as if he can't let people forget it's his game, i'm surprised it wasn't tattooed onto Snakes face

but as for the game it does feel unfinished and while everyone is saying the open world was fantastic i think it hurt the game more than it helped because as you said it felt empty and dull, i think a more condensed world like in Past MGS games would have served the story better, not that the story was actually that good, it pales in comparison to past games hell Revengence had a better one and all it's story did was give you an excuse to hack things up

but whether or not that was due to Kojima or Konami we will never know

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

johncalmc

@FullbringIchigo Totes. The open world killed it for me. Among other things. It's lifeless. If it was that gameplay thrown into something like MGS 3 it would have been one of the greatest of all time. As it is I think it's one of the most overrated.

johncalmc

Twitter:

themcnoisy

@johncalmc @FullbringIchigo do you guys seriously believe that? After playing mass effect Andromeda MGS the phantom pain is a master piece in comparison. The maps are maybe a touch bigger than they should be especially near the start with snakes running speed a bit on the slow side. But later on in the game you can helidrop within a few hundred meters of a location and you can level up your speed, horse etc. Its later on in the game that it all gels together.

The side ops are filler in the same manner as side stories in Yakuza or the markers in GTA, and albeit a lot of mechanics are reused such as subdue the missing soldier or take out heavy Armour they are there for people who want to elongate their stay in the game world more than simply going through the story. Its not realistic at all, but I don't think that was the plan of Kojimas anyway.

The story is good, maybe not upto the standards of MGS 3, but it's still better than the average game. Taking subjects like implanted diseases, child soldiers and civil war and fitting them together into a relatively coherent story. I'm a huge MGS 3 fan and noticed loads of Easter eggs and nods to that game which kept me eager to see the game through. If you don't have an affinity to MGS 3 then I can understand why the story would come across as half baked.

The duplicated harder versioned story levels don't need to be completed to progress the story. Chapter 2 is obviously a jumble at times, clearly bits have been cut and some story threads are left hanging which is a massive shame, but the conclusion of MGS 5 does wrap the story of quiet and snake off sufficiently in my opinion. The whole duplicated levels saga has been blown way out of proportion. I can't recall exactly how many duplicated levels there are, maybe 8 out of 50?

The huge negatives no one seems to have mentioned is the stupid chore of building your base and getting enough materials. That is the problem with the phantom pain. It would be fine If there was say triple or quadruple the contents of each container, but as is, it's one huge grind fest to get the best facilities to unlock the better gear. That's why most people don't have a great experience with mgs5. It's not until you have all the gadgets, vehicles and percs at your disposal that the game goes to another level. By the end I was a free flowing silent killing machine, but hardly anyone will ever get to that point.

Mega-Gazz

@themcnoisy @johncalmc @FullbringIchigo I have to agree that it is way overrated. I also agree that the mission design is repetitive... and there is a distinct lack of boss fights compared to older MGS games. You fight the same metal gear twice, and there are basically no other bosses.

Also, as has been stated, they adopted some of the worst aspects of open world games... transit, lifeless countryside, re-visiting areas, so much freedom that things end up ironically being the same, filler content, etc. At least there are no towers to climb.

Also the checkpoint system is very fun-killing.

This is also obviously ignoring quiet. The only significant woman in the game doesn't talk, does whatever you say because she loves you, is practically naked for a totally dumb reason and cavorts around in water occasionally. Kojima is a sexist perv. Sorry.

Mega-Gazz

Rudy_Manchego

@Mega-Gazz Completely agree on the use of Quiet. My wife just rolled her eyes when she saw her in the chopper with Snake which is a shame because I used her on most of my missions. Her character just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm more with @themcnoisy on this game is that at its best, MGSV is an absolute classic but at its worst, it is a repetetive grind fest. You have to grind to get the best out of the game which makes it less fun. If things hadn't gone south and they hadn't started working on his random zombie spin off, Konami could really have followed up MGSV and used the same systems/engines and refined the experience into a smaller, more focused title. I'd happily play another game with the core gameplay mechanics.

Edited on by Rudy_Manchego

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.