Forums

Topic: God of War OT

Posts 781 to 800 of 807

MaulTsir

20 hours in now. Honestly I probably should be alot further into the story than I am but I just keep getting distracted by the side quests, there's so much more to do than in GOW(2018). I've just left Vanahiem for the first time so yeah! After a few busy weeks I'm hoping to finally get some decent gaming time in this weekend and make a real dent in the story.

MaulTsir

Jimmer-jammer

@MaulTsir I didn’t think I was going all that slowly through it and still ended up putting in about 80 hours when all’s said and done! It’s a big game. Hope you get that time to really get sucked in. It’s a ride!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Thrillho

I finished the main story a couple of nights ago. Really enjoyed it overall and am getting stuck into the post-game stuff for the plat.

Ending thoughts:
Damn if some of the build up with Faye didn’t make me a bit teary. That said, the actual finale felt a bit anticlimactic to me? It kind of felt like you didn’t really see much of the scale of invading Asgard for such a momentous thing and then the Thor and Odin fights felt kind of easy. And also, what was the deal with the second shrine that Kratos looked at after Atreus left?

I only replayed the first game a few months ago and I wonder if that made a difference to how I felt about the game but I still really enjoyed it and some of the changes to the combat were subtle but I liked them, such as levelling up skills by using them.

The new realms were cool and the cast were just fantastic.

Last night I finally beat Gna in Muspelheim which was quite the fight! And that reminds me, what a pain it was in Muspelheim to have to keep beating the “basic” fights to unlock the extra central ones..

I’ve still got plenty to do yet but it really is a fantastic game!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Thrillho

Bloody hell, I think I’ve finally managed to make that post with the stuff spoilered! Apologies to anyone confused my post constantly appearing and disappearing!

From the ending though;

It was the line “The culmination of love is grief, and yet we love despite the inevitable. We open our hearts to it... To grieve deeply is to have loved fully.” that absolutely got me 🥺

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

The script and performances in this game were just fantastic, weren’t they? “To grieve deeply is to have loved fully.” That really encapsulates what the entire saga has been about. It’s so well supported, from Kratos to Freya to Sindri…from there, the capacity to change and its ripple effects to others, gives purpose to the pain. I think this ties into that shrine, though I’m not too sure. Perhaps Kratos is seeing the impact of his change of heart in broader ways than he may have initially considered. You know, the tertiary ways our words, actions and influence ripple out beyond what we intended. These mortals worshipping him instead of cursing him might be a positive reinforcement of those changes for him, in a moment of possible uncertainty, what with Atreus leaving the nest. Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed it, and gotten something out of it!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

LieutenantFatman

The game does do a wonderful job of getting so much of its wisdom across to the audience.

Major story spoilers:

I thought they did a really impressive job with Odin as well, with the writing and voice acting. There are so many warnings not to trust him and so much evidence of the terrible things he's done and yet you can't help but think maybe his role in all of this has maybe been exaggerated, as he seems so reasonable on first meeting him. Clearly a master of manipulation and deception.

So many characters have a right of passage that changes their point of view, for better or for worse. All except Odin it seems, whose obsession was too much of a barrier for him to be able to change. At least he was honest at the end for once.

LieutenantFatman

MaulTsir

Continuing on with the story, I've made some decent progress this weekend I went to Asgard with Atreus and claimed the wall, met Heimdall, who is actually more of an arse than Thor! Going to Asgard for the first time and avoiding all spoilers I just didn't even know what I had in my mind of how I thought this version of Asgard was going to look like but standing high on the wall and looking around was truly amazing.

I still managed to get distracted with the side quests especially in midgard, there was so much to do there but I really enjoyed it, beat my first Berserker, I'm guessing they are this games version of the Valkryies. I'm now reunited with Kratos after Atreus or Lokis mishap with Garm!

I'm just really enjoying the game and it's been a while where I've played a game with out actually wanting to rush through to the end because I've got so many games to play!

Edited on by MaulTsir

MaulTsir

MaulTsir

Played more last night

I'm back in Vanahiem a second time now. Spent a lot of time in Alfhiem completing alot of side content, it's just fun! I've also noticed that I've got alot of odins ravens more generically this game than the last I have 36 where as last time I had about 15 by the end of the game and used a guide to find the rest.

Edited on by MaulTsir

MaulTsir

Thrillho

@MaulTsir I’d missed only a few ravens by the end of Ragnarok. I don’t know if they were easily placed, the sound cue was more obvious, or if I was just more on it!

The map is also well designed so it’s easy to find what you’ve missed too.

Thrillho

MaulTsir

@Thrillho the map is alot better and the fast travel which was my only real issue with the first game is also alot improved in this game.

I do think you have a point though with the ravens, mabye I was just more attuned to looking for them, the noise also helped.

Finished the story last night. Fantastic this game has delivered for me in every possible way.

If anything I felt the fight with Thor and Odin was a little anticlimactic and that the last section when getting to Asgard was a little rushed, I would of like to have seen abit more of Thor and Thrud, if anyone was going to be able to turn Thor against Odin I think Thrud would of done it. I did enjoy the fight with Thor though and it was pretty epic seeing Kratos grab hold of the hammer, atleast we now know Kratos would be worthy of fighitng Captian America.

I will finish up the remaining side quest and get the plat before I move on. Its been a ride!

MaulTsir

Thrillho

@MaulTsir I had similar feelings to you at the end.

Some new areas unlock after finishing the game too with some being from the seeds you get to open new fast travel point. I didn’t find it immediately clear how to use them but if you go to the door in the realm house, select a realm, and then you can unlock the new fast travel point from there.

Thrillho

ScarletSpidey

Can anyone help me please? I'm on the post-game and currently in The crater. There's an Undiscovered bit, across a big ravine, just north of Eastern Plains Mystic Gateway. How do I get to it?! I've been trying for like an hour and just can't see how to cross it.

ScarletSpidey

Octane

@ScarletSpidey Explore The Jungle first, southwest in the crater. It'll make sense later.

Octane

Thrillho

@ScarletSpidey That area can be pretty unintuitive and that area in the bottom corner is key. I somehow managed to miss it several times until I saw that was the way to go on a guide. Good luck!

Thrillho

R1spam

I just wrapped this up tonight, wow, just wow! Some of the best performances and characters in any game ive played, solid combat that with better enemy variety improved upon the 2018 game. Right up there with the last of us as my favourite sony 1st party games. Richard Schiff as Odin steals every scene he is in, its an absolute monster of a performance. Its interesting that so many people enjoyed 2018 more. I really liked it but something about the relationship of Kratos and Atreus, the tension in wanting your child to find their own way but balancing it against knowing what's best for them hit me like an absolute brick in Ragnarok. I know there are moments of this game that are going to stick with me for a very long time.

Edited on by R1spam

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

Thrillho

@R1spam it’s always good to hear someone else enjoyed the game! Have you bothered with all of the end game stuff as well?

I said before that I found the Odin voice a little weird as the accent felt out of keeping with everything else in the game, even if the voice acting itself was really good otherwise.

Thrillho

R1spam

@Thrillho I haven't yet, but I think I might go have a look for this new Valkryie queen and maybe hunt another Dragon to craft that Dragon armour (I have 2 out of three bits). I unlocked muselpheim arena but never engaged with it but will check that out too. Just had a look back at some of the comments about I thought that last relief of people worshipping Kratos was a call back to Odin querying whether he was even a real god, whether anyone had ever worshipped them and acknowledging how much he had changed, as old Kratos at ragnarok would have destroyed everyone to get to Odin, rather than save some of the innocents and secure their escape .

Edited on by R1spam

XBOX: Placebo G

Thrillho

@R1spam Muspelheim isn’t too bad I thought. A couple of challenges are tricky but it’s a pain having to repeat them to unlock the last set of challenges.

The beserkers weren’t too bad at the end game once you’re fully levelled up; a couple I struggled with earlier in the game gave me no problem. The final one is a toughie though, as is the other one you mention!

The third dragon is a clever one though and I’d never have found it without a guide!

It’s also worth revisiting Niflheim at some point too…

Thrillho

Bundersvessel

Installed GOW 2018 on the PS5 this afternoon and jumped back in on my previous save rather than starting from scratch (I’d only played for 11hrs or so). I had just acquired the light of Alfheim or some such underground in almost pitch darkness, it took me the longest time to figure out where and what I was doing. I’m back above ground now and moving gently forward 👍

I decided on moving the game in before starting Horizon FW because I have a little list I want to put to bed of “Jet Engine Games” which became unplayable on my PS4 Pro so much so I had to give them up, GOW being particularly loud even with headphones. The other two are Days Gone and Shenmue 3, which I’ll hopefully get to throughout the rest of the year.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic