Video: Will David Hayter Star in PS4's Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain After All?

Posted by Ben Potter

Solid theory

Metal Gear Solid overlord Hideo Kojima loves a good ruse – and we reckon that he’s up to his old tricks again. David Hayter, otherwise known as the voice of Solid Snake and Big Boss, may have been rather publicly ‘replaced’ by 24 star Kiefer Sutherland in his familiar role, but is this just another Phantom Pain-esque troll from a developer that loves nothing more than seeing his fans squirm?

We explore the possibility in the video below, but we’d love to hear your opinion in the comments section. Are we being taken for a ride yet again? Have Hideo and Hayter been colluding over some form of secret plot twist for years? Watch the clip, air your thoughts – and don’t forget to like the video and subscribe to our YouTube channel for much, much more.

[via youtube.com]

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I rekon that the phantom pain is going to lead to a remake of Metal Gear (perhaps released as Metal Gear Solid VI) and that they need Big Boss to have a different voice to Snake hence changing it for MGSV so people can get used to it

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

As you say Ben, literally anything is possible with Kojima at the helm. I'm happy to just sit back and enjoy what will undoubtedly be a ridiculous ride.

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

I never really liked Hayter. Kiefer is so much better than him. Hayter is good for comics or PS1 graphics. But in cinematics of modern standarts... it's not his cup of coffee. But Koji will definetly use him somewhere, just for kicks. So, I think there is no any plot behind Kiefer and Hayter, Koji just wants to make good drama, that's it.

ToOGoodOfAPlaya

ToOGoodOfAPlaya said:

Hayter IS Solid Snake.
Kiefer makes a good Big Boss as its good to hear a different voice for a different character.
If Solid is somewhere in MGSV then I hope its ol' Dave.

Swiket

Swiket said:

If Chico really does become Quiet then I'm going to quit the Internet.

adf86

adf86 said:

Great vid, would love more theory videos in future. Regardless of the criticism Hideo Kolima gets, I think speculation and theories behind his games & characters is really fun. I'd rather we were talking about things like this then whether or not game has downgraded graphics.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@FullbringIchigo word. Only way it makes any sense. Although Big Boss' voice has been firmly established as Hayter in MGS3, PO, and PW (even the HD versions) so I'm still wary of a Decoy Octopus-like situation. There's incontinuity regardless :(

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

I reckon both Solid Snake and Big Boss are going to appear in the game in some form.
That's why.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Hayter plays him in the PS4 version, Sutherland in the PS3, Xbox360 and X1 versions.

Or did I read the title wrong? ;-)

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

When the events of The Phantom Pain takes place, Solid Snake is still young so I doubt Hayter will voice him if he does show up.

I am hoping that at the end of The Phantom Pain, we'll hear a conversation between Solid Snake (voiced by Hayter) and Big Boss (voice by Sutherland) with the latter instructing the former to infiltrate Outer Heaven. The would bring the story to a full circle.