Hands On: Skylanders: Swap Force Looks and Sounds the Part on PS4

Posted by Andy Robertson

Next generation treatment

As we get closer to the release of Skylanders: Swap Force, we’ve obtained better access to the game. Having played through some snatched sections at Gamescom, it was good to be able to take the time to fully investigate the available levels at this year's Eurogamer Expo.

Played here on the PlayStation 4, you can see why this latest version of Skylanders continues to attract interest from outside its traditional family audience. The visuals and audio really add polish to the experience, promising a surprisingly attractive adventure.

Perhaps the biggest question mark here is how many special edition characters there will be. After Disney pushed the retail envelope with its foil pack collectible upgrade tokens for Disney Infinity, we hope that Activision isn't tempted to bleed the family market too hard.

In truth, we've already spotted a bunch of different store exclusives for both Walmart and Toys R Us, and we recently caught a glimpse of some seasonal specials: Kick Off Countdown (maybe for June), Springtime Trigger Happy (likely for April), Jade Fire Kraken (possibly for Summer), Enchanted Star Strike (looking like a Halloween fig for next year), and Jolly Bumble Blast (likely for this Christmas).

Then, of course, there is the Skylanders Dark Starter Pack available at certain retail stores, which is not currently confirmed for the PS4. Unlike some special editions, though, this actually promises quite good value, with the increased price boasting not only limited edition characters, but also a wider selection to get you started. Let's hope that it's announced for Sony's next generation system soon.

What do you think of Skylanders: Swap Force's presentation on PS4? Are you planning to purchase the impending sequel? Let us know in the comments section below.

redd214

redd214 said:

I recently played Skylanders for the first time at one of my son's friends houses. Wow, such awesome gameplay we were both hooked instantly. I had never even thought to be interested in this series but the gameplay is rock solid, the toys are of good enough quality that my kids may actually pay with them even outside the game, and Nothing beats couch co-op with the boys!! This had taken the place of knack as my number 3 launch game. Can't wait!!

andyrob_24_7

andyrob_24_7 said:

@redd214 it's the physical play that makes the real difference in terms of value I think. Knack is also a great game too though, but for very different reasons.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Im surprised they even made a PS4 edition, its a family game and I dont see a ton of families buying a PS4 yet due to price and availability.
So, any real difference between PS3 and PS4 editions? These games have always looked pretty good for what they are and even the PS3 version looks much improved from last year.

That said, it might still outsell the Wii U ed.?

@rjejr I don't know. I can picture a scenario where 'Dad' wants the console for Killzone, but Timmy wants it for Skylanders, too. Obviously PS3, 360, Wii, etc are going to remain the dominant platforms for this, but I think it'll do ok.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I may just buy this for my niece and nephew, I might even play solo if I have enough fun with it.

-CraZed-

-CraZed- said:

@rjejr I have Skylanders on PS3 for the whole family and we are getting a PS4 so this might get me to get more Skylander stuff. I really wanted to jump on the Disney Infinity bandwagon but since we are going next gen and getting rid of the PS3 and there is no next gen version of Infinity this makes Skylanders all the more attractive to us. That is as long as the current figures work with next gen games...

rjejr

rjejr said:

@-CraZed- Never occurred to me that Disney Infinity wouldn't have next gen versions aside from Wii U, that will certainly help Skylanders for new system purchasers.

I'm pretty sure figures will work on any system or portal, but the old portals won't work w/ the new games. We already have 3 portals so it looks like we'll have 4. We're getting this on the Wii U though, I like seeing info on the Gamepad screen.