Call of Duty: Ghosts Will Sport Dedicated Servers on PS4

Current generation counterpart getting some love, too

Microsoft’s famous moneyhats are being spent in strange places these days. Alright, maybe we’re being a teensy bit unfair assuming that the Redmond-based manufacturer is responsible for Infinity Ward’s caginess regarding dedicated server support in the non-Xbox versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts, but what other explanation could there be?

Let’s recap: earlier in the year, the developer confirmed that its impending first-person shooter would feature superior connectivity on the Xbox One. That prompted many to assume that the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game would shun dedicated servers in favour of the traditional peer-to-peer setup that’s been common in previous releases.

But that’s not the case, as executive producer Mark Rubin revealed overnight that all systems will sport the same improved infrastructure. “Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next-gen, and PC,” he said. Asked if that included the PS4 and PS3, the lead added: “I can't call out other platforms by name, but one might assume that from what I wrote.” Yes, then.

It’s such a strange way to confirm a key improvement to a multiformat game, and there are clearly some behind-the-scenes contracts making the announcement as ambiguous as possible. Still, we suppose that it’s good to know that the PlayStation versions of the impending sequel will support dedicated servers – even if getting to this point has felt like squeezing blood out of a stone.

[via twitlonger.com, twitter.com, vg247.com]

Related Games

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Bu bu bu but the cloudz!? lol I wonder if they're using Microsofts cloud for all those dedicated servers ;) After how the past few have ended up online its no wonder they going dedicated for the next one, although Im sure CoD started out with dedicated servers on Ps3 in the first place before they dropped it for P2P.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@MadchesterManc I still find it strange that people continue to talk about the Xbones cloud and dedicated servers, but conveniently forget that Sony owns Gaikai and will have games running on dedicated servers.

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

That BF pressure! I think they just saw extra revenue i.e BF3 rent a sever.
Remember this is Activision after all.

@Lelouch
Untitled

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@Lelouch Ive come across a lot of that on other gaming websites. The usual thing ya come across is 'Gaikai is too small to compete with Microsoft's Azure and wont be able to do all the things Azure can'. Xbone fanboys still firmly beleive that dedicated servers are a new thing for consoles, even though I always point out that I was playing on dedicated servers on BF2 for the Ps2 all those years ago lol

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@MadchesterManc I think Gaikai's Guiness World Record of 50M+ gamers per month would beg to differ. And then there's the fact that Sony had a few games on PS3 that ran on dedicated servers, while Microsoft opted for P2P most of the time.

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

@Lelouch
Lets see
Untitled
=
Untitled

In my country I pay 10 000 yen a month and I'm playing via my cell
damn 3rd world country :(

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@Lelouch You and me buddy:D I love japan... Currently trying to learn japanese but i have a really hard time... Kanji is difficult

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Sanquine I haven't even started yet, but once I do I'll most likely use Rosetta Stone since I've heard such good things about it.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@Sanquine Ive been using books that focus on learning Japanese using Romaji but it deosn't seem to work too well so you're probably on the right track! keep at it :) Im thinking of switching over to Kanji myself. Sentance structure & simple conversations are easy to get used to with Romaji but thats about it lol

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@Lelouch This, this, this so much. It makes me laugh that they (fans) think its a game changer for MS and Xbox One, when the exact same technology is on PS4.

What a second? What happened to that special unprecedented relationship?

DeHorror1975

DeHorror1975 said:

The xbone announcement initially for dedicated servers and no one else is just another reason I cant stand how the manner in which microsoft conducts business. Micro pays others for exclusive games, while Sony makes their exclusives themselves. I'm not saying Sony doesnt do it, but its the exception and not the rule. Even quantic dream says that Sony just gives them so much freedom to do what they want, they dont want to make their games for anyone else.