Skylanders Swap Force Goes Mix and Match Mad This Autumn

Switching things up

Guess what? The toys are back in town. Activision has announced that it will release a new iteration of Skylanders this autumn, with development headed up by Vicarious Visions. According to the publisher, the change in personnel will give series creator Toys for Bob time to come up with the next big thing. With the significantly more appealing Disney Infinity lurking, that might be for the best.

The game itself, dubbed Skylanders Swap Force, will launch alongside 16 new figurines with interchangeable parts. The hook is that you’ll be able to mix and match characters to unlock new abilities, which does sound pretty fun. The enhanced characters will be joined by 16 regular toys, a further 16 fan-favourite stars, and eight LightCore playthings. You better start saving your pocket money if you want them all.

The title will supposedly boast enhanced visuals on PlayStation 3, which will bring “the game’s detailed characters and rich environments to life”. The whole adventure will take place on the mysterious Cloudbreak Islands, the home to a “mystical volcano that erupts every 100 years to replenish the magic in Skylands”. We’re sure that you’re all deeply invested in the series’ lore.

You’ll need a new Portal of Power to play the game, which is unfortunate if you've already got one. As with previous releases, a Starter Pack will be made available featuring the required peripheral, in addition to two Swap Force characters and one regular Skylander. Sadly, no pricing has been announced just yet, but we expect it to cost around $74.99.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wow, a NEW portal of power? Are they freakin' kidding? I already own 3.

As much as my 8 year old loves this - and my wife and I her having some fun playing at night after the kids are asleep - I think we're all done with Skylanders.

My biggest gripe - the medal/trophy/award in game - not a Sony Trophy - for having all 8 Giants characters, but 1 of them - Ninjini - doesn't even have a release date yet and the game has been out for 4 months. And 2 of the Giants just released last week and are very difficult to find. So they advertise a game with 8 giants but only sell 5.

Screw them.

I'd love to find out what all of the fuss is about with these games, but I'm put off by the prohibitive prices of the figures. And, to be honest, I don't have anywhere to keep a pile of figures that don't really do anything.

Not for me, I guess.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@get2sammyb - Well if you find yourself over a mates flat and he has a pile of them laying around it is a fun little multiplayer for a bit. Definetly aimed at kids who like collecting toys and multiplayer.

My wife has a case full of 2" Star Wars action figures and I have a bunch of Marvel super heroes - and even a Klingon - so we aren't opposed to collecting toys. Though I hope Nintendo doesn't make a Pokemon game w/ 800 toys to collect after X + Y come out.

Savino

Savino said:

My problem with those games are my 5 and 2 years old kids!
Or they will lose it, or they will break it, or they will make something unimaginable (specially the younger) with the toys!!!
And here in Brazil they cost about 3 times their nominal price!

licenced

licenced said:

If they want to stop us moving on to the Disney offering they need to either find a way to make the new figures work with the existing portal or make it cheaper. There's no way I'll be spending £50-60 for yet another 'starter pack' given the steep cost of the characters - they need to make the most of the existing buy-in their customers have, not push them away.