Forums

Topic: Looking into getting a PS3

Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Tasuki

Ok I finally thought about it long and hard and when I finally move into my new place I am getting a PS3 as a housewarming gift for myself.  My question is I have had really bad luck with the slim model PS2 compared to the original model.  I have been through 4 slim PS2s.  So I am wondering if anyone has any advice as to which model of the PS3 is the most reliable and overall just the best choice.  Yeah I wouldn't mind an original with the ability to play disc PS one and PS2 games but I still have a PS2 so that isn't a problem with me.  Should I buy a new one or go refurbished or what? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Splat

I would say if your going to do it then get a new one. I own a 160 GB Slim and a 500 GB Super Slim and would recommend either. Other than looks there is no real difference whatsoever.

The Super Slim is a good amount smaller but has the top loader which some people hate. I don't really have a problem with it myself. I feel the Super Slim is quieter but that might just be that it's not as old as my Slim model.

I highly recommend getting a 500 GB model especially if you are a PS+ member. The space really can go pretty fast.

Edited on by Splat

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Victor_Meldrew

I've had the original ps3 for about five plus years and never had an issue and with it. I can't really say about any other models...

Victor_Meldrew

Tasuki

@Splat:  Yeah I dont mind how the disc loads but you bring up a good point on the HD space.  I do plan on getting the PS+ free games cause to be honest I think in the end it will save me money cause alot of those games like Tomb Raider and Borderlands I had to buy for my Xbox when if I had a PS3 I could have got for free.  I do have a PS+ membership cause of my PS4 so yeah that HD space is important.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

turtlelink

I have a 120GB Slim one. I got it for around $300, but it's probably cheaper now. Hell you could probably get one with 160+ for less than that by now.  Its been working fine for the past 4 years lol. If you do get one though Tasuki, be sure to add me

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

KidRyan

I'd definitely recommend buying the 320 GB Slim or 500 GB Super Slim...and if you don't mind messing with your PS3's insides, I've heard it's rather easy to swap out the PS3's HDD with a 1 TB Internal HDD.

(I think the new HDD has to be a 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD or something)

I've never had the chance to do that myself though, since I can't be bothered to back-up my saves/game data and figure out how to restore them on the newer HDD.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

Madd_Hatter401

I have the newest slim model and have put many many hours on it and it works great, also very quite.. I also had the original from day one and it's running to this day.. I gave it to my buddy he uses it often.

Madd_hatter401 Proud owner of: PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Xbox one, Xbox 360, 3DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy advance, Sega, and Sega Nomad.

PSN: Madd_hatter401 | Twitter:

SethPuddle

I bought a slim at a pawn America for $70 dollars. perfect working condition, looked brand new as well. i'd say go to a professional pawn shop. they refurbish the console completely and usually give you a nice warranty just in case.

SethPuddle

PSN: Sunny_Shores

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.