Forums

Topic: PS Vita Slim - my impressions!

Posts 1 to 1 of 1

Scollurio

Finally I got my PS Vita Slim and as a happy long-time user of the original model, I want to share my experience. This time, it will be brief as there are plenty of reviews of the new hardware out there for you to read. I'll focus on the key-subject about this upgrade. The screen. Before talking about the screen though, let me just say that the Vita Slim, in my experience, beats the original model in every way. It's lighter, more comfy to hold and even though it's made from predominantly plastic and gone is the aluminium border of the original, it never appears to be cheap, it still makes the 3DS look like a toy. Also the 3G is gone, no one needed it anyways, and you can charge and load your Vita with movies and songs with a convenient micro-usb cable (or any micro usb cable). Lovely. There's also a really minimalistic cradle for the Vita too, so you can use it as a second screen and watch documentaries while working (thats how I do it). The buttons somewhat feel more comfy even though that can be subjective as nothing much has been changed. The shoulder buttons seem to be more responsive, at least on my unit.

So, now to the screen. It's really easy to sum it up. It's still a gorgeous screen of the same resolution. It's still awesome and in normal gameplay I never ever missed the OLED. Sure the OLED is more vibrant, sometimes to a point where it's unrealistic and too much for me, the LCD has a slightly softer hue but it's just as sharp, no compromises. There is just two drawbacks the LCD has compared to the OLED and both might be forgivable depending on how you use your Vita:

- viewing angle: The angle is lots better on the OLED. It still requires quite an awkward tilt to get wrong colours and a dulled-out effect on the LCD but if you - like I do it - use your Vita in Bed to watch movies with your girlfriend the viewer on the "passenger seat" might suffer some less image quality at certain angles. For you alone playing it's of no difference.

- black levels: Well during gameplay I never noticed this to be a problem but watching my newly discovered favourite show PENNY DREADFUL with it's many many dark scenes and locations, it's obvious that the shades of black at the end of the scale just become some mixed "really dark grey" on the LCD, especially when watching in a dark environment and having the Vita on brightest setting. On the OLED black is black, almost as black as the frame of the device itself. That benefit, unfortunately is gone. It's still not dealbreaking for me (I'll stick with the Slim but will also keep another original model originally packed in my cupboard, just to be future-proof in the Vita-department, hehe) but it definitely is noticable.

I hope this brought some clarification about the screens. Those comparison pictures of the two screens showing the OLED to be much brighter, don't say much, as you won't notice this as long as you only use your Slim and not an original one next to it for comparison. It's only in those 2 areas I mentioned where you will notice a slightly worse result.

Summing it up, I'd say all in all the OLED is about 15-20%  (if I had to put a number on it) better than the LCD but it's nowhere near that the LCD is GARBAGE like so many reviews state.
I engineered an image in photoshop, with a scene from Penny Dreadful to show you exactly what I mean....

vitascreencomparison.jpg

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.