Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year 2024

Posts 1 to 20 of 51

Th3solution

We’re still in the opening days of the new year and it’s time for each of us to establish some new goals and resolutions for 2024.

Remember, setting goals and making resolutions is a method for organizing and structuring your aspirations and maximizing your accomplishments. And it’s an important step in self-discovery.

We all have well-intentioned plans, but if you don’t write it down, it’s just a hope and a prayer. Without documenting your goals, it’s like playing an open world RPG without a map and quest log.

Accountability, people. Hold yourselves accountable! 😄

I’m being a tad facetious here, this is a leisure activity after all. But still — Feel free to share yours and come back here every few months to update your progress through the year!

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

I’ll start us off.

I’ve put some thought into it over the last week after seeing what worked or didn’t work last year. Here’s my new resolutions.

Gaming Resolutions for 2024

1. Play GOTY candidate titles from previous years that I missed.

• Play 3 from 2023
    This would include choosing from: Baldur’s Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dead Space Remake, Cocoon, Lies of P, Alan Wake 2, Street Fighter 6
  • Play 2 from 2022
    This would include choosing from: God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, A Plague Tale Requiem, Trails from Zero, Cult of the Lamb, Sifu, Sonic Frontiers, Tunic, The Last of Us Part 1, COD Modern Warfare 2
  • Play 1 from 2021
    This would include choosing from: Hades, Resident Evil Villiage, Hitman 3, Psychonauts 2, It Takes Two, Guilty Gear Strive, Life is Strange True Colors, Nier Replicant, Deathloop

I recently reviewed previous GOTY lists from Push Square and realized that I had forgotten how praised certain games were at the time. So the short list from each year comes straight from the Push Square’s own end-of-year/round up GOTY lists, with a few select additions sprinkled in that I pulled from The Game Awards nominees too. I like having the flexibility to have lists to choose from based on my mood.

Last year I focused on being sure to play some new releases. I did well there, but neglected the older games as a result. So this year I want to focus some efforts on going back to those I’ve missed during their heyday.

2. Achieve 5 platinum trophies

In 2023 I had a slow platinum year with only 3, so I hope to stretch myself a little more. I don’t trophy hunt nearly as obsessively as I did in the past due to worsening time limitations, but I want to hear that ‘chime’ more often.

3. Do something multiplayer

Self explanatory. This continues to be a blind spot in my gaming.

4. Play at least 3 remasters or remakes

This should be easy at the rate these are coming out. But I think this will be the easiest way for me to experience the classics.

5. Retry 2 games that I gave up on

As we’ve discussed on the forums before, timing is an important aspect of whether a game clicks for you. Sometimes it’s just the wrong period of time for a game and going back to it later through new eyes makes all the difference.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

I mentioned in the chit-chat thread that I sat down and counted my backlog games this week, which turned out to be 717 titles. So I decided that my primary resolution for this year is going to be about reducing that amount drastically.

1. Finish 50 backlog games, but it's okay to give up on certain titles

I formulated above resolution as such because there might be games in my backlog that I won't like and will therefore give up on. I also think 50 is a doable number as one year is a long time and there will be times when I play short games as well as long games like RPGs. It's worth mentioning that I've already finished two games this year and I'm on my way to finishing two more and we're just entering the second week of this year. So I'm confident that I'll reach this goal.

I actually wanted to set the goal to 100 games, but I figured finishing on average two games per week just isn't feasible for me.

2. Only buy new releases that I really want to play

I mentioned in the PS4 backlog/most wanted thread that I want to buy Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Persona 3 Reload and the new Granblue game next. But given my focus on reducing my backlog this year, it'd be best to only buy new games that I really want to play. So between those three titles, I'll only get Persona 3 Reload, which is the game that I really want to play. Same with other games releasing this year, such as Metal Gear Solid 3 and Silent Hill 2 remakes. In the case of Silent Hill 2, the remake might even encourage me to play the first Silent Hill in my backlog before I tackle the second one.

3. Finish enough backlog games to be able to put away at least one system

This is the one I'm most unsure about as I tend to play whatever I'm in the mood for. But I really want to put away more of my systems. The problem is that I still have games to play on them. Granted, if I can finish enough games that are only playable on that system, then I'll be able to at least put away the system and play the rest on a newer one. For example, I have several original Xbox titles that are only playable on that system, such as The Simpsons Hit & Run and the second as well as third Prince of Persia games. So if I can finish all of them, then I can put away my original Xbox and I'll consider this resolution achieved.

All in all, my focus this year is going to be about cleaning out as much as possible.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ravix

Play some motherf***ing games, motherf***ers. That's my resolution 😁

I just game when I can and then if I actually feel like it, and play whatever I'm currently in the mood for or feel like buying to try, and as I don't give a flying fig about trophies or completion rates I can just enjoy games like that. Story done? Game done. Bye 😁😁😁

Usually this amounts to playing a couple of the big games i've missed out on from previous years, per year. Buying whatever games are living up to the hype on release day-ish, if it is a game I like the look of anyway. Which is usually like 2 or 3 of the big games that year. And then replaying some Witcher 3, KCD or stuff like that, games that are endlessly charming and engaging and full of RPG goodness.

And then urgh, FC24 type trash.

Maybe my resolution could be to say "No!" more when people want to play Fifa 🤔 that's a good one, actually.

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

nitram2k11

Buy less games at release and make a dent in my backlog of over 100 PS5 titles and 200 PS4 titles.

nitram2k11

PSN: nitram2k11

LN78

Mine's easy - after the "Alan Wake 2" debacle, I'm never buying a digital exclusive game at full price ever again. Lesson learned.

LN78

kyleforrester87

Gee, I never follow through on these so erm.. finally clear Tomb Raider 3, via the remaster, I guess.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

BookhouseBoy

@LN78 I unfortunately bought into the hype and regretted it massively. Bought it on sale as well.

BookhouseBoy

johncalmc

I did a so-so job with my 2023 resolutions so I expect that I'll do better this time around. I also have less pressing issues this time around. Like last year I played Final Fantasy XIV from start to finish which really stopped me from playing a lot of stuff, and I played loads of Yakuza. In 2022, I beat 74 games. In 2023, it was only 45 I think, and that was largely down to FFXIV and Yakuza.

So, this year...

1. Finally platinum every Yakuza game - I have to finish the platinum for Yakuza 5 and then do 6 and then I'm done. I already did Gaiden and 7 when they came out. I suppose I'll do 8 when it comes out too. Then it's done. No more Yakuza platinums.

2. Finally platinum Persona 4 Golden - Like the Yakuza one, this was on my list last year but like the Yakuza one I've made good progress in this. I'm on new game plus and I've got the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy so I think this is totally doable.

3. Play at least 5 old birthday/christmas games - Every year I get games for my birthday and christmas and there's always some that get left behind and I never get to. I've got loads still in plastic. Alien Isolation, Mafia Trilogy, Tactics Ogre, three different Call of Duty games, Outriders, Scarlet Nexus, and loads more. Stuff I've forgotten I even own. This year I want to make a dent in them.

4. Play Fable - My girlfriend wants me to play Fable because I've never played Fable. I said I will. Will I? Who knows. It's on this list now so it feels more official. Now I feel like I kinda have to. We'll see.

5. Platinum some old Final Fantasy games - I put this on the list last year and now I'm confidant(ish) that I'll do it this year. I'm not going to say all of them. But I would like to get the Pixel Remaster and at least get through three of the games, or something. That's got to be doable.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

I didn't do too horribly last year considering I only spent half of it playing games lol

I could list a few minor goals that I could definitely achieve, but what's the fun in that? I'll make another nigh impossible list for me and see how close I can get.

1) Resist the siren song of alluring sales and new releases as much as possible. I'm sure I'll still grab new games, but I'd very much like it to be heavily lopsided in favor of backlogged games played this year.

2) Play through my PS4 backlog so I can retire the console. Plat at least five of them. For context, that is:

• 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  • Bloodborne
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Remaster
  • Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Maneater
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Game of the Year Edition
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Sakura Wars
  • Siren
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Final Bar Line
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Trials of Mana
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Yakuza 0

3) Start, play through, and beat Monster Hunter World + the Iceborne expansion.

4) Play ten games or more on my Steam Deck.

5) 100% run of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 + the Future Redeemed expansion once my Noah and Mio amiibo come in.

6) Play through the XC1: Future Connected expansion for Xenoblade DE.

7) Beat my unfinished 2023 Switch backlog. That is:

• Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Master Detective Archives: Rain Code
  • Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
  • Pikmin 4
  • Super Mario RPG

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah An ambitious set of goals! That’s 34 games across 3 consoles, if my math is correct.

Of the 15 PS4 games you list, I have played 10 of them. A couple of them I never completed, but it’s a quality bunch there. Of those 10, there’s only a couple that have what I would call “easy” platinums — Ghost of Tsushima, and Marvel’s Spider-Man. 13 Sentinels is also fairly easy to platinum, I think, but I never made it to the end. I’ve also heard Maneater is an easy platinum, but I couldn’t stick with the game for more than a few hours. So there’s a potential 4 of your 5. Hopefully the other games on the list have achievable platinums.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Following up on that great advice from @Th3solution regarding your list's platinumability (yeah, that's a word, I make up words now) I'll add that Uncharted: The Lost Legacy has a very pleasant and attainable platinum, so that could be your fifth. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition can be similarly zen, but only if you're prepared to do some quick and dirty boosting in a couple of active-but-empty multiplayer modes. If you're stuck meeting your target and that becomes your last resort, let me know, as I'd be happy to help.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

kyleforrester87 wrote:

Gee, I never follow through on these so erm.. finally clear Tomb Raider 3, via the remaster, I guess.

Hey, get your own damn resolution!

1) Complete all three games in Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
This one's a partial holdover from last year, but it's also expanded because it ain't just TR3 that I've never properly completed; it's all of 'em. Always figured that I didn't need to properly experience the first game, thanks to Anniversary, and only ever got halfway through the second. I've been playing these classics since I was a teenager, but not properly, and it's long overdue.

2) Don't buy Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown or Star Wars: Outlaws at launch
Not just because big games aren't really finished on release anyway, but also because ick, Ubisoft. I'll grab used copies somewhere down the line.

3) Finish what I've got before adding anything major
My backlog has gotten to the point where adding to it actively bothers me, so every time I'm tempted to make a purchase, I'll instead start (or re-start and play properly) Headhunter: Redemption, Spy Fiction, Naruto Shippiden: Kizuna Drive, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, inFAMOUS: Second Son (and its expandalone, First Light), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2, Sniper Elite 4, Forspoken, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Kao the Kangaroo, RoboCop: Rogue City, Snowrunner, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Star Trek: Legacy, XIII, or the Deus Ex series. Note to future self: this isn't me saying that I'll play and complete all of these in the next twelve months!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@Th3solution It helps that MHW will be one of my Steam Deck games, and that I'm already mostly through two others on my Deck that are carry-overs from last year.

Still, I don't expect I'll hit my numbers. Would be pretty awesome if I did, though.

Yeah, my current candidate list for potential platinuming is:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut
Gravity Rush 2
Maneater
Marvel's Spider-Man: Game of the Year Edition
Sakura Wars
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Final Bar Line
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Almost all of those seem to be fairly easy on the platting front. Theatrhythm will take some time, but I got it specifically so I'd keep playing for the platinum, because I knew I wouldn't stay motivated without the allure of trophies (otherwise, would've picked it up on Switch!). Thankfully, every trophy in the list sounded pretty achievable.

But yeah, even if I don't hit all my goals, that's still a lot of pretty incredible games to dig into.

@RogerRoger Thank you for the offer on Tomb Raider. If I had PS+, I'd probably take you up on it. But with their prices now... eh. I'll just plat the single-player ones.

It's good to hear the Uncharted platinum isn't too bad. Only a few of the trophies sounded annoying (how hard is crushing difficulty?). Still, I might ask for advice on a few.

RogerRoger wrote:

3) Finish what I've got before adding anything major
My backlog has gotten to the point where adding to it actively bothers me, so every time I'm tempted to make a purchase, I'll instead start (or re-start and play properly) ... The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

YES

It's an incredible spinoff with one of the most satisfying narratives in the series. And since the second trilogy is PS-bound, and probably also the next mainline entry, you'll still have plenty more AA content to dig into in the future as well.

Th3solution

@Ralizah Here’s hoping you can do it! A lot of the more prolific users here can finish 34 games a year with one hand tied behind their back. For me, I usually can’t get more than about 20 done per year. Given I’m planning to start Baldur’s Gate 3 in earnest (reports of 150+ hours for a detailed playthrough are not uncommon) that’s probably 3 months of the year gone already 😅.

But my goal #5) “Retry 2 games that I gave up on” might end up including games from your list as I see at least 4 that I never completed - 13 Sentinels, Maneater, Yakuza 0, and Gravity Rush 2. Of those 13 Sentinels and GR2 are games I actually enjoyed a lot but just got distracted, so need to go back.

Edited on by Th3solution

Ralizah

@Th3solution Oh, I've seen the body counts on here! I'm not able to no-life games like some are, though.

Doesn't help that I'll be playing a number of very long games. And XC3 + Future Redeemed 100% is easily hundreds of hours of playtime on its own! Although, having already finished the base game, I'm less concerned about getting to that mark by the end of the year.

I was so excited for GR2, and then Persona 5 and BotW swept in and distracted me utterly. Now that I've platted both versions of the first game, I'm excited to get back to the sequel.

Rudy_Manchego

Yo Yo yo and Yo.

Couldn't resist adding my two cents and it's something I've reflected on a fair bit. I need to be OK with not doing side content if I'm not enjoying it. I don't necessarily 100% all games but I feel obliged to do all side quests if they are presented. Realised when playing FF16 and currently Jedi Survivor that if the side content is not engaging, I'm going to enjoy the game less and play even less time playing it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Tjuz

Okay, let's give this a shot. Maybe this'll help motivate me throughout the year!

1) Finish ten games

I'm sure this seems like a very low bar to many of you, but as someone who ended the last few years with an amount of finished games I can count on one hand... this seems almost ambitious! I love gaming, but too often do I just not click or just not give any game more than an hour or two at most. Time to make some change there and actually get to the finish line on ten I'll hopefully enjoy.

2) Try at least two games from a genre I don't usually play

I'm not a very experimental gamer, which might be a large reason as to why I am in a yearlong drought. I'll watch and love any genre of TV or film, but when it comes to gaming I tend to stick way too much to what I know (narrative-focused adventures). I was shocked how much of a great time I had with a roguelike/lite(?) in Hades when I spent a good chunk of time on it last year despite swearing this genre isn't for me. Time to open up to a surprise once again! I currently have my eye on Street Fighter 6[/] already.

3) Be more active on PushSquare

I think this one in particular would help motivate me with my goals a lot. I thrive on discussion and am an endless chatterbox about anything I enjoy doing. If I make more of an effort to want to discuss games I've been meaning to try out, it might in turn give me all the more reason to actually do so. As a sub-goal, I'll say write three reviews about the games I play. I already contributed TV reviews to a Dutch site for a while and love to write out and process my thoughts that way, so why not?

4) Play one long game

Some of my best gaming experiences come from playing very long games. Think stuff like the [i]Mass Effect trilogy, Red Dead Redemption 2 or Divinity: Original Sin. Yet at the same time any game promising a multiple-dozen hour adventure is an immediate turn-off to me. It almost makes it feel instantly unachievable with how I've played games over the last few years. Time to change that and commit to one! Who knows, it might just join my personal hall of fame.

5) Don't stress the completionist urge

Too often have I let the feeling of needing to explore every nook and cranny make gaming feel like a chore. It's why I hate engaging with open worlds in games, but the problem remains with even more linear experiences. No more of that! If I don't finish every mission there is or use every mechanic, so be it.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

XandertheWise

only one gaming "resolution" i have this year is to finally get around to get myself a Playstation 5 for the stupid FInal Fantasy VII Remakes and FInal Fantasy XVI

XandertheWise

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yeah honestly, GR2 is such a stellar game and really large open world with impressive verticality. In retrospect, there’s just nothing quite like it and the series hardly ever gets the recognition it really deserves. I think the uniquely quirky Japanese flavor of the characters and nonsense language make for a turn-off for Western players, but the traversal and combat is just so interesting.

It made me curious what it was that pulled me away and based on my trophy list all I can tell is that Shadow of the Colossus Remake came out right in the middle of my playthrough and I dropped GR2 to play that. I also appear to have been playing FEZ at the same time. Within a couple months I started Bloodborne and I think that was the nail in the coffin for my time with Kat. I think I also got a little overwhelmed at the size of the maps and how big the game is compared to GR1.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic