Forums

Topic: Another Definitive Best Game of All Time Megapoll (Quarter finals)

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 1,030

QualityGeezer

The soundtrack alone is unbelievable, I'm sorry it's nothing against you personally mate but this is quite simply the greatest game ever

QualityGeezer

LN78

@QualityGeezer I'm sure it has a better chance of winning the survey than "MGS3" does. I don't think it will beat "Bloodborne" or "The Last of Us" though.

LN78

QualityGeezer

@LN78 MGS3 should not be here imo, and bloodborne is a culture classic but should be no where near top 10

QualityGeezer

QualityGeezer

My top 4 would have been witcher 3
Mass effect 2
FF7
The last of us

QualityGeezer

Kidfried

@QualityGeezer It's funny you mention the soundtrack, because while The Witcher 3 has many qualities, I think most would agree that MGS3's main theme is enormously iconic and memorable, and it's James Bond-y soundtrack adds buckets of flavour.

Anyway, I love your fighting spirit for The Witcher. Keep on trucking!

Kidfried

Th3solution

My two cents — The Witcher 3 is overrated.
(With all due respect to those who feel otherwise)

Granted, I didn’t make it past the opening 10 hrs or so before I succumbed to icon-chasing overload. But I also didn’t really like Geralt. I know it’s sacrilege to say. I’m willing to admit that maybe I just wasn’t in the right mindset at the time. I’ve always meant to go back to it, and maybe I will some day. The DLC always gets the highest praise, but you have to wade through a hundred hours of the base game to get there.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KAIRU

@Th3solution Join the club. Bloodborne is by far the superior game compared to The Witcher 3.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

Blackmagehobbit

@QualityGeezer I agree, the soundtrack of The Witcher 3 is amazing, mainly in Skellige and it is one of the best of all time.

Among these finalists I must defent the Bloodborne soundtrack though, that is so beautiful, haunting and heavy at the same time. Just hear the Casgoine theme it is unbelievable.

Blackmagehobbit

Bundersvessel

Battle 1
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2, 2005)
Battle 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2, 2004)

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

QualityGeezer

Sorry if my earlier comments offended anyone, I just get really passionate when it comes to the witcher 3. I waited since the end of disc 1 in FF7 for something to blow my mind and the witcher did that for me. Perhaps I'm set in my ways but it's never been bettered for me

QualityGeezer

QualityGeezer

On a separate note where did final fantasy 14 place because the story in that is epic

QualityGeezer

KAIRU

@QualityGeezer I finished the game and both DLC's.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

Th3solution

QualityGeezer wrote:

@Th3solution @KAIRU no offence if you didn't get past 10 hours you've missed out and can't judge

That’s fair. And I fully respect your opinion and mostly I’m just being playful with this whole thing, tongue fully in-cheek.
So I admit I can’t fully judge the game but it begs the question, how long does one need to play a game they aren’t enjoying before one can say they didn’t like the game? 10 hours seems a reasonable investment. (Actually I don’t remember how many hours I played exactly. It may have been more or less than that). It reminds me of how a lot of people made fun of Final Fantasy XIII — “Just stick with it. It’s gets really good at hour 40!” 😂

I assume by 50 hours in, Geralt‘s raspy voice and deadpan delivery gets less annoying, and his mechanical attitude feels more authentic, and the screens full of 100 map markers and question marks are less anxiety provoking, and the dodgy controls are more intuitive. And I also suspect when/if I play the PS5 version I’ll be much more pleased with the smoother performance (maybe Roach will control less like he’s a robot) and I’ll probably actually really like it. But can a game be in my top 10 of all-time if I got bored of it in the opening 10 hours? I don’t know.

I don’t want to dump on what is clearly a classic, but I just feel like my minority opinion should be aired.

Honestly, a lot of it boils down to when we play these games. By the time I tried Witcher 3, I’d played a few of the imitators who built on what the Witcher 3 was doing. It was less innovative feeling to me playing it in 2019 than it would probably have been in 2015.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution Geralt’s persona and demeanour actually made him stand out more for me rather than being another copy and paste Nolan North type lead. It also fits with his story that it’s not a life he really wants to be leading but it’s what he is and what he’s good at.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@TabulaRasa @Thrillho
Ironically, Geralt is up against another gruff and jaded hero, Big Boss/Snake. Also a guy with ‘a very particular set of skills he’s acquired over a long career’ who has understated machismo that society doesn’t understand or appreciate, other men fear, and yet all the women in his life swoon over. The two characters actually are similar in some ways, right down to the raspiness of their voice acting and the ‘Devil may care’ attitude toward other people. (For my money, Joel, Arthur Morgan, and Kratos all did the ‘old grumpy guy’ schtick better than Snake and Geralt though, if we’re keeping score.)

Otherwise W3 and MGS3 are, of course, very different. From a setting standpoint and gameplay. Honestly I prefer fantasy settings usually over modern day espionage, but in this case I’m going with Kojima and Snake. I reserve the right to do a 180 when I play W3 again. I have had a game click better on a second or third attempt before.

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

QUARTER FINALS #2 RESULTS
This was an incredibly tense round, and it's very weird to realize there's only four games and two weeks left until we know the final winner. I loved to see many votes and even some discussion. Even crazier is that we're now left with four games, one from each of the previous eras of PlayStation. I couldn't have made the semi finals sweeter even if I had tried.

Untitled

Battle 1
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2, 2005) (21 votes)
Winner: Final Fantasy VII (PS1, 1998) (31 votes)

Battle 2
Winner: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2, 2004) (28 votes)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, 2015) (26 votes)

UntitledUntitled

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic