Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 661 to 680 of 4,472

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Wow - winner!

Have you seen the Batman TAS 'Honest Trailer' yet? it's pretty spot on!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I know, right?!

I did, and I found myself laughing and nodding along. Although it also reminded me of how long it's been since I've watched it, as I couldn't remember half the clips.

I don't think I've ever seen when it was briefly rebranded to "The New Adventures of Batman & Robin" either, but that season is in the box too, as well as remasters of Mask of the Phantasm and Batman & Mr. Freeze - Sub-Zero (the former of which I've seen many a time, but the latter I haven't).

Will obviously leave some thoughts once I get underway.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo regarding the past weekend's Doctor Who episode - I quite liked it; even though it was pretty typically Chibnal - the 'countdown clock' MacGuffin wasn't too overplayed. JW is still entertaining, Yaz and whateverhisnameis are still completely overshadowed in all respects by everyone else on screen and the TARDIS is still effectively awol.
The Doctor even almost did two thirds of the episode without her magic wand! (The Sonic Screwdriver is the bane of most of new Doctor Who).

In other TV stuffs; the new series of Black Lightning is great so far, The Good Place feels like they're running out of ideas and Sabrina is really rather good!

Also, apologies to any and all for late replies - had half term off work and I'm normally just one here skiving

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I had a US DVD set for a long time and also a few rips - it was often in heavy rotation. It really is a great show. I envy your lack of recent watching! (that's a terrible sentence, sorry).

Sub Zero is much overlooked - not quite as good as Phantasm, but no Batman films are really.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON That's okay, I got what your words had the meaning of.

Yeah, I think PAL / Region 2 only got a complete DVD collection a couple years back, right around the time the rumours of a Blu-Ray remaster started to circulate, so I held firm. I don't think the DVD set includes the films, but they do include the rebranded final season. Keep seeing them cheap in HMV, probably even cheaper now that there's been this new HD remaster.

I love Mr. Freeze so will likely add a couple points to Sub-Zero just because it's all about him.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger It wasn't just a rebrand -there was a slightly more WB cartoonish style to everything, not as much detail - it always reminded me of Freakazoid in that sense.

I'm hoping that Superman TAS and JLU get the same treatment, but I'm not holding my breath.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON No, unfortunately I can't see that happening any time soon, either. Justice League (2001-2004) is available on Amazon Prime and holds up well (watched a few episodes recently), so well that I wasn't sure whether it was an HD remaster or not, but it'll be a good few years and lots of analysis of the Bat's performance before a decision is made to even start the process.

But you never know. Providing that WB and DC can keep the momentum going for the standalone movies, a greater interest in folks like Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the rest of the gang might make Justice League and Justice League Unlimited worthwhile (especially since it's also got Batman in).

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

I got my Batman Animated Remastered Blu-ray set a few days ago but haven't watched it yet. I'm not a fan of the packaging, though since it's quite hard to take out or put the discs back into the cardboard sleeves.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Oh, rats, is it cardboard inside? Haven't opened mine yet either (although I'm in the UK, so I think we got slightly different packaging... did you get the Funko Pop! figures and the art book? Because I've just got what looks like a standard, albeit sturdy, black box).

Also, I hope your packaging wasn't damaged. I've seen a lot of complaints around, since Amazon in the US shipped the box in a standard envelope, leading to many dented and smashed boxes.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger The unboxing I saw the other day was a book style with the discs in cardboard sleeves.
I thought it looked quite nice myself, but the unboxer did seem to need to give a good tug to get the discs out.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, okay, cheers. Sometimes cardboard works okay, my Bond and Star Trek film collections have decent cardboard, but other times it's a nightmare.

It's ridiculous, the box is in the other room right now, but I don't wanna break the seal until I'm ready to start watching it... stupid OCD. Don't think it'll be until Sunday now, given my current schedule, but it's sooooo tempting!

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Yeah, the packaging/box had some dents unfortunately. They shipped mine in a box that was probably twice the size of the item. The item moving around inside the box is what probably cause the dents.

@KALofKRYPTON

but the unboxer did seem to need to give a good tug to get the discs out.

Yeah, it does require a bit of effort to take the discs out or put them back in.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Sorry to hear your copy was damaged, but for a different reason! I hope it doesn't detract from the experience for you. I'm hoping to start tomorrow.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I've been meaning to watch that for ages, but was out off by what some people said about the first two seasons. Will defo give it a watch sometime now though!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Glad to see another fan of Gotham (sorry, missed your first post yesterday). I love how they allowed the show to evolve, and it's embraced a comic book madness that keeps everything moving at a much quicker, much more ridiculous pace than before.

And I'm not sure how much you wanna know about its forthcoming, final season but I will say that your instincts are pretty sharp... and then some.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Okay, so I (bat)caved and watched the first two episodes from the BTAS Blu-Rays this evening; won't be able to watch any more until Sunday, but my mood needed the boost.

In short, get this set.

The restoration is excellent, not just in terms of picture but also in sound. There are layers of SFX that I either don't remember, or simply weren't there on the DVDs. Shirley Walker's musical score has never been so incredible; I love how her music makes even the simplest of shots feel like an event. And okay, so these opening episodes ("On Leather Wings" and "Christmas With The Joker") are obviously the first tentative steps with what was a groundbreaking show, and some of the animation betrays that (as well as Mark Hamill's vocal debut, which is far more grand, classical and restrained than the sinister edge he quickly developed... seriously, he sounds like a totally different person at times, so much so that I double-checked the credits) but I still had a brilliant fifty minutes.

@WanderingBullet Now I know what you mean about the cardboard packaging. It isn't the worst, but it's more of a fiddle than it needs to be. Luckily, the first disc wasn't jammed in too tight; I hope I can say the same for the others as I progress through the book.

Have you started watching them yet? If so, what are your overall thoughts?

Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

Whoop, whoop! Feeling the Gotham love! Awesome show, my husband and I love it 😎

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Even the first episodes do hold up well. I may chuck it on my xmas list!

JohnnyShoulder

Disney+ is the highly original name for its streaming service, due to launch late in 2019. Probably in time for whatever big Marvel film is due for home release.

Interesting to see what shows they have lined up, I had no idea these were even in existence.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a870255/disney-netflix-ri...

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic