Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 3,101 to 3,120 of 3,698

Voltan

@LtSarge I liked XIII and XIII-2. Never minded FF being linear. I didn’t like Lightning Returns very much though.

Voltan

LtSarge

@CJD87 I feel like I've been experiencing so many great PS1 games for the first time this year in general. I played through the first three Resident Evil games, which were absolutely phenomenal, and now it's Final Fantasy's turn. I'm slowly starting to love the PS1 library! But yeah, I can't wait to play the rest of the FF games.

@Voltan Lightning Returns is the one with the time limit, yeah? That's honestly deterring to me. It's the same reason why I still haven't played Majora's Mask yet, I just don't like having a time limit throughout the entire game.

LtSarge

Th3solution

After about 57 hours of traipsing through Midgar, I finally completed Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

I’ve been chronicling my adventures fairly regularly over the last few weeks. I won’t repeat some of the highs and lows I’ve shared before. Suffice it to say, I really liked the game. I think the characters, art direction, mechanics, and gameplay were all top notch. There were a lot of ways that they could have ruined a timeless classic like FF7, but for the most part they nailed it. Square-Enix should be praised for taking on such an important project and making the end result this good.

That’s not to say the game is without its problems. A few things have grated me from time to time, but most of them became pretty inconsequential after I grew accustomed to the game and it’s quirks.

Which can only bring me to the elephant in the room — the much maligned ending….
So, perhaps it’s partly because I was going in expecting something controversial, and partly because it has really been a long time since I played the original, but I wasn’t all that put-off by the ending. It seemed to fit on both a superficial level, and on a deeper one. It seems to take all the lore from the original game into account, yet it obviously does it’s own thing. I can see how the purists are upset about a little veering off of plot points, but I don’t see it as being as catastrophic as I thought it would be.

>Big Spoilers ahead —

So the whole idea of the future being predetermined or not seems to be at the core of the entire storyline, what with the whispers working to keep destiny in check. The defeating of the Harbinger of Fate obviously is designed to open up the freedom to explore possible new storylines and vary from the core plot of the original game.

I didn’t play Crisis Core, and that game’s story and characters appear to be essential to where they want to go with the FF7R sequel(s). I feel nothing for Zack, so can’t comment on how cool or how uncool it will be to have him in the mix, either as a playable character, an NPC, or perhaps just continued flashbacks and visions like this. But I know Crisis Core has its supporters, and I’ve been told many times that I need to play it. But the game being a PSP title just makes it that much harder to get into.

All things considered, I’m not too upset with leaving the ending of this game so open and with the possibility of future divergent timelines. FF13-2 employed an open-ended timeline approach, and I wonder if they would want to do a similar mechanic where there is jumping back and forward with playing more than one timeline — perhaps the original game’s narrative and the alternate one where Zack survives and maybe Aerith and Sephiroth survive, etc.

I guess the problem is that at what point does this fail to even be Final Fantasy 7? If the story ends up being completely different and there are different characters and outcomes, then it’s hardly a remake of the original game at that point. It’s the Ship of Theseus quandary - if you keep changing stuff out, eventually nothing is left of the original ship and so it’s not Theseus’s ship anymore and has lost all identity.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the game, including the ending. I’m curious what others think who are large fans of the original game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I enjoyed the ending too. They could have just done a 1 to 1 remake which would have been great too, but also very safe. I like when games take risks like this, TLOU2 did something probably even more controversial, and I was on-board with that too. At least this way, we don't know what to expect in part 2, which I think is way more interesting than the same game with updated presentation and performance.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Thrillho @TraCuz- You chaps were curious what I would make of the ending, and I forgot to tag you. I posted some thoughts up above.
May your breath now no longer be bated. 😛

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

So I just recruited Vincent to my party in FF7 and considering he's the same level as my main party members, I was wondering if he's worth replacing one of my current teammates? My main party consists of Cloud, Barret and Red XIII, but I've been thinking that maybe I should replace Red as he's not as strong as Cloud and Barret. Although I personally don't mind keeping Red as he's still very useful since he has a lot of MP for example. I honestly feel quite content with my team right now but maybe there are better members?

Vincent's limit breaks also seem a bit weird. Apparently he transforms into stuff, is that good? lol

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Some people don’t like Vincent’s limit breaks as they take away control of him for the rest of the battle, meaning that he can’t heal etc. However, I’ve always felt that the damage he did in those forms totally outweigh the downsides and he’s a lot of fun. My party always ends up Cloud, Red, Vincent because Vincent’s a straight swap for Barret since both are long range. Vincent also stacks very very well with the Deathblow materia once you get the sniper rifle as it has perfect accuracy, removing the downside to Deathblow. He’s probably my favourite character from a mechanical point of view as there’s so much going on with him.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett The thing is that when I played FF6 and got to about the 20 hour point, I started to become bored of the gameplay as it didn't really change. So maybe I should try to spice things up before I get to that point in FF7 as things are becoming a bit too same-y right now and Vincent does seem like the way to go based on your description. Having him go into "beast mode" as a limit break and utilising Deathblow more often sounds actually quite fun. I'm going to miss Barret's Satellite Laser limit break though. I think that's the best limit break I have right now, it's so good!

I have to ask though, what does perfect accuracy with the sniper rifle entail? Like, does it mean that Vincent's normal attacks, magic etc. never miss even if he's e.g. inflicted with darkness?

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Sniper CR has an accuracy of 255, the highest it can possibly be. So Deathblow dividing that by 3 gives you 85% accuracy and a guaranteed critical if it lands, which it usually does. Darkness halves accuracy of physical attacks, meaning it would still have perfect accuracy at 127.5 (don’t know if it rounds up or down but it’s a moot point) and Fury gives you 70% accuracy which would also still be perfect accuracy. It’s only when you’re combining Deathblow with Fury or Darkness that you’ll be seeing things miss more often.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Ah okay, I understand now. I appreciate the detailed explanation! Sounds like Sniper CR is going to be a very useful weapon for Vincent. I think I'm going to go ahead and replace Barret with Vincent and go with a team of Cloud, Red and Vincent.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I think there’s an upgraded version of Sniper CR but it’s a lot later on, maybe the 2nd disc. Vincent is really good in the Battle Square with that setup though!

LtSarge

@nessisonett Ah, good to know, I'll keep that in mind!

Also, I just tried out Vincent's level 1 limit break and the beast form's flare attack deals freaking 3600 damage! I'm definitely keeping this guy around lol, holy crap that's good.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Just don’t make the mistake I did and use one of his forms on a boss that absorbs the elemental damage! Ended up in an endless battle 😂

LtSarge

@nessisonett ...

...I just did exactly that lol. Luckily his form has other attacks so I managed to eventually defeat that boss. It definitely added an extra layer of challenge though

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge I’m trying to work out where you are if you’re post Nibelheim then. Mt Nibel or past that?

LtSarge

@nessisonett I just finished Mt. Nibel after being stuck in there forever! Had to look up how to even leave, lol. But that place seriously had a lot of cool stuff, including Sniper CR for Vincent. Holy crap, he went from being a pretty standard character to one of my favourite ones. I'm so glad that I recruited him, Deathblow + Sniper CR is so good. He does like 1000 damage every time now. I'm genuinely enjoying the game even more now that I'm trying out different stuff.

LtSarge

LtSarge

So I'm at what I think is a major moment of FF7: The internet has already spoiled it to me, but I know that Aerith is going to die soon so I just want to know, should I unequip the materia I have on her before this moment so that I don't lose them or is the game nice enough to return all of them automatically afterwards?

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge I believe her materia will return to your inventory after she dies, but you'll lose any weapons/armor she has equipped.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@LtSarge I’m gonna say take the armour off to be safe. And there’s a way to take zero damage from the upcoming boss that I usually employ!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic