Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 861 to 880 of 896

sorteddan

@FuriousMachine
Oh sorry. I didn't mean to contribute to an unmanageable backlog (booklog?) You should read what you want, not what you're told. 😉

Regarding Algernon, I think it's really special that such a short piece of fiction had such a lasting effect on me. I mean I've only read it twice, and not for a few years now but just thinking of it makes me remember how sad I felt the tale was. But not in a bad way but in a way that made me reflect on myself and my interactions and relationships with others. Like am I the character being laughed at or the one doing the laughing?
I think I initially only stumbled across it as it was on a list of best Sci-Fi or something but I think that genre categorisation may put some people off from approaching it which is a shame. I mean it's not really sci-fi in the way most people think of it.
Anyway, forgive my rambling but I really hold that book dear and think it should be lauded whenever possible.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

FuriousMachine

@sorteddan Hang on! Are you saying that I'm under no obligation to read every book recommendation I come across? Well, that simplifies things. I expect my booklog (word adopted!) will by sooo much more manageable from here on out...

I like a good ramble and I absolutely agree, when something has such a profound effect it should be revered and shared.

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@sorteddan Yes, I agree. I know I only just finished the book but Charlie Gordon will stick in my head for years to come.

MightyDemon82

XandertheWise

first time for me to get to books 7 to 9 since back then when I was in high school in the mid late 1990s all there was for Wheel of Time were books 1 through 5 or at least 6. then I sort of lost interest of waiting for the next book to come around. Books 6-8 I'm a bit mad they got rid of Moiraine and her Warder Lan. But I did like reading books 7 to 8 anyway but then I realized too many characters kept popping up etc.

I'm going to be reading Winter's Heart this month to get back in the saddle of reading the rest of Wheel of Time.

Shepherd_Tallon wrote:

Empire of the Damned, sequel to Empire of the Vampire.
I should have finished it by now but I'm taking my time with it.
Read these books.

@XandertheWise
How are you finding that stretch of the Wheel of Time books?
So many people dread the middle third of the series, but I always enjoyed it.

I'm biased though. It's my favourite series. In the last 26 years I've read it through twice. I've been feeling an itch to go through it all again.

XandertheWise

Shepherd_Tallon

@XandertheWise Ah I remember those 90s days when we only had 6 books and had to wait forever for the next one. That's taking me back.

It's a shame Robert Jordan died before he could finish them, but he had so much of it done that Sanderson was able to just use his notes plus what was already written to step in and finish it.

Enjoy the rest of it!

"It's been my lifelong dream to operate a drill a hundred times bigger than me!"

PSN: Shepherd_Tallon

Black_Swordsman

I finished The Portable Mark Twain , I found that it was very good, the man was clearly one of the leading intellectuals of his day, and the complete reproduction ofThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was expectedly the highlight of the book. Highly recommend for anyone who wants a complete and overall perspective on Twain.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

Now onto You Can't Win by Jack Black (not that one) seems like a winner so far.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

FuriousMachine

Just finished Season of Storms (Goodreads page), a standalone Witcher story and the last book published about everyone's favourite white haired Witcher.
I think any book I could have chosen to follow the phenomenally good A Gentleman in Moscow would have struggled to impress, but this was nonetheless an entertaining yarn, and I think I prefer this entry and its smaller scope to the sweeping saga of the previous novels. Here's hoping Sapkowski will return with more stories like this in the future.

Now it's on to the fourth novel in Peter May's "China thrillers", Snakehead (Goodreads page)

FuriousMachine

Black_Swordsman

@FuriousMachine Have you read the Dark Horse Witcher graphic novels? Highly recommend if not.

MightyDemon82

Finished HalfHead, I really enjoyed this gritty futuristic Glasgow with serial killers and interesting concepts.

Next up Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury!

MightyDemon82

Black_Swordsman

Currently reading You Can't Win by Jack Black, not the actor. It's definitely a page-turner but not highbrow stuff, Steve Buscemi's favourite book allegedly. Then onto James by Percival Everett which I recently ordered, @Elodin

Elodin

@Black_Swordsman nice! Hope you enjoy it.

I just started The Living Force by John Jackson Miller, a new Star Wars novel. I dont read many Star Wars novels, but I have always enjoyed his and this one intrigued me. It's basically the Jedi Counsel going on Spring Break.

Elodin

MightyDemon82

Finished Something wicked this way comes. Really enjoyed that one. Next up Jurassic Park, looking forward to seeing how it differs from the movie!

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Interestingly, "Jurassic Park" was the first time I tried an audiobook and discovered that I'm incapable of focusing and retaining what's being said for any meaningful length of time. I don't know how many times I had to rewind and start sections over and over. I'm not even sure if I managed to finish it, but I am quite sure that I can't remember a single thing about it (at least not that I can tie to the novel and not the movie).
So, what happens next? Yup, that reading list grows again

FuriousMachine

LN78

Just finished "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Very funny and very clever, it's both similar to the movie in terms of content (a parody/subversion of the traditional faitytale) and different in that the framing device - the grandad telling the story to his sick.grandson in the film - is more akin to fake academia - the narrator presenting (and commenting on) an abridged version of an actual "real" text - in the book. Superb.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Black_Swordsman

Almost finished You Can't Win by Jack Black (not the actor/musician) it's starting to take a slightly moral bent now which spoils it a little but the action has certainly started to become a bit more intense during the various high-stakes scenes in the book, it's still good.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic