Forums

Topic: Your best/not-so-best for 2021!

Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Pixelated

Hey guys...

I'm new here but I thought I'd start a topic and just get the ball rolling talking to people here. So... what are your worst, and best, PS5 games for this year? When I say "PS5 games" I mean either PS5 games that actually say "PS5" on the game box, or, PS4 games that had actual graphic/framerate upgrades to look/run better on PS5. List as many or few as you want. Here are mine:

NOT SO BEST

• Cyberpunk 2077 (only because the PS5 port is just a port, not full fledged PS5-quality game, we get that patch later, streets are still devoid of people, cars)
  • Wreckfest (good game but they still want $10 for the ps5 grafx upgrade)
  • Subnautica (ps5 update barely if at all increased grafx and frames hit 60 but have screen tearing)

BEST

• Sackboy (great grafx, fun online with randoms too)
  • Astro's Play Room (I'd like a full-on 15-20 hour Astro's game one day)
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising (surprised me, very much like Zelda but I liked it better than BOTW)
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (4k, 60, amazing)
  • Demon's Souls (im embarassing at this game, but those grafx!)
  • Diablo 2
  • Back 4 Blood
  • EDF 5 (i dunno if this got a ps5 upgrade but it certainly runs perfect on ps5 as compared to my ps4 pro where there was slow-down due to tons of enemies onscreen)
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • No Man's Sky (4k, 60, drool)
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint (resolution bump and 60 frames makes this a totally new game)
  • Outriders (best played via co op if possible, but it's a decent "gears of war" style shooter)

So what about you? Your best, worst, not so best, impressed, not so impressed games this year?

Edited on by Pixelated

The Nintendo Switch is the only console that predicts its own future... after 5 years of nothing but weaboo games, you're ready to switch to another console!

Kidfried

Now only mentioning the games that released on PS this year and that I played on my PS5.

Best:

• Chicory
  • Returnal
  • Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
  • Hades
  • Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut

Not-so-best:

• Deathloop
  • Maquette

In between:

• Control: Ultimate Edition
  • Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart
  • The Pedestrian

Kidfried

colonelkilgore

Hey @Pixelated, good to have you.

I haven’t played a large number of PS5 games as of yet… but that kinda feeds into my personal position in regards to how I feel about technical leaps in regards to graphics and sound etc. I have had a PS5 since launch day but have actually played more PS3 games than PS5 games during 2021 in comparison.

In answer to your question though, Demons Souls Remake is undoubtedly the best… and as I haven’t played that many of them, sadly Bugsnax would have to be not-so-best (I still really liked it though).

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

CJD87

BEST:

• Returnal: Phenomenal, ground-breaking, challenging and a true example of next-gen gaming. Patch 2.0 should hopefully increase accessibility also...

NOT-SO-BEST:

• Kena Bridge of Spirits: Tried hard to get into this, but it felt like a lower-tier souls-like.... all of the punishing difficulty with none of the RPG/Build mechanics. A great first-time effort from Ember Labs, but for me the experience felt quite jarring and vacuous vs its obvious influences.

IN-BETWEEN:

• FF7R inc. Yuffie DLC: I am so conflicted on this game...
    I would have really welcomed a padding reduction to reduce the main story from a 40hr entry - - -> 20hr entry. I actually loved the story beats, and stray away from the mainline/original, but some of the padding/filler was cringe-inducing at times.
    I don't regret playing, but just wish that Squeenix had streamlined the experience for quality>quantity.

CJD87

Th3solution

From games I’ve played in 2021:

Not so best:

• Rayman - I just don’t click with this game
  • The Outer Worlds - I liked this but it couldn’t hold my attention when compared to other games
  • Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy - TT game engine showing it’s age
  • Hitman - I liked this also but it was a little too hard for what I was looking for at the time
  • Subnautica - just not quite my cup o’ tea

In between:

• Bound - refreshing indie goodness
  • Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune - a classic remaster
  • Rime - not quite done yet, but okay so far
  • Dear Esther - nice walking sim
  • Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight - awesome rhythm game, albeit same as the other two
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - really liked this at first but lost a little momentum with it

Best:

These I’ve said plenty about, so I’ll just list them —

• God of War
  • Returnal
  • Control UE
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Astrobot’s Playroom
  • Persona 5
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.