Forums

Topic: Why is it so hard to understand? (Battlefield 2042)

Posts 21 to 40 of 41

Chevyguy

Loved battlefield 1942 my first real online experience. As for campaign it sucks that it doesn't have one but not a deal breaker. Its definitely a good change of pace over cod, but I play both franchises

Chevyguy

JohnnyShoulder

Can't say it is something I would miss, the last two games in the series I hardly touched the single player campaign. Spent over 100 hours in previous multiplayer modes for Bad Company 1, 2 and Battlefield 3 and 4. Kinda moved away from competitive multiplayer in recent times, so doubt I would pick this up anyway.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Seems pretty lazy and greedy to raise the base price of the game and axe the single-player mode instead of... I dunno... improving it?

Even if it's not the primary attraction, it's still an aspect of the series. I know I'd be pretty pissed if Nintendo completely axed the single-player campaign for Splatoon 3.

With that said, I'm getting bored with the constant, endless controversies in this industry. I didn't get into gaming just to have something else to bitch about.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Arxlvi

"The SPA (Story Participation Average) across three consecutive mainline games, Battlefield 3 (30.75%), Battlefield 4 (21.11%), and Battlefield 1 (18.68%) shows a year over year plummet as well" - True Achievements

Taking the general playerbases lack of engagement with the campaigns of past titles, it is honestly of no surprise that they would step back and focus on a fully multiplayer title. The vocal minority will always be outraged about something and in this instance, it is a part of the game that has long existed in past titles of the franchise however there also needs to be a degree of understanding in that multiplayer gaming is the direction in which gaming is going. There are hundreds of millions of multiplayer gamers while the amount of people that engage in single player campaigns is dwindling.

Arxlvi

Th3solution

Arxlvi wrote:

…there also needs to be a degree of understanding in that multiplayer gaming is the direction in which gaming is going. There are hundreds of millions of multiplayer gamers while the amount of people that engage in single player campaigns is dwindling.

@Arxlvi Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting your statement there, but I don’t think multiplayer gaming is edging out single player gaming as a whole. I do appreciate your sharing the statistics for Battefield and it does seem that in the Battlefield franchise specifically the single player campaign interest is decreasing. And perhaps you can generalize that to include all first person shooters (would be interesting to see the same stats for the much more popular COD series), or all military shooters, but I’m not sure we can fully extrapolate from one series’s statistics that all single player gaming is dying and the majority of all gaming is going to be multiplayer-centric. I think single player gaming is still alive and healthy, despite the decreasing popularity of SP campaigns in Battlefield.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Arxlvi

@Th3solution Apologies, I probably did generalise in a bit of an exaggerated manner in that last instance.

I personally do not think single player gaming is dying as a whole however I think there has been a prominent shift in AAA gaming where companies have seen the sheer margin of profits in a multiplayer game Vs a single player game and as such are moving their focus.

There are some companies that are still trying to merge the profit of multiplayer with the aspect of single player games such as Ubisoft who frequently monetize their single player games through unnecessarily prolonging progression to encourage spending.

It is this shift in focus which lead to my mention of the "direction in which gaming is going". I think there is a full possibility of a resurgence in AAA single player titles in the future however at this point in time, those titles are produced by a small handful of developers (A decent number being Sony in-house studios) while the majority of AAA games continue to drive a multiplayer narrative.

Arxlvi

danlk1ng

no one seems to have touched upon this just yet - but some people just don't have/want "gaming friends" . We don't need them - we've got games. If a great looking new game is on the horizon, but part of the main thrust is "squad up with your buddies" I'm pretty much instantly put off. I'll do online MP but usually I'll go out of my way to avoid being part of some "squad", to the point that I'll play PUBG but always in "Solo" mode

In fairness though - for me it's simple. I just avoid those games/those types of games. If I'm in the mood for a first person shooter I'll just play something like Metro Exodus rather than force myself through the much less interesting single player campaign of a CoD or Battlefield game

And while most of these games do accommodate "single player multiplayer" (as opposed to squads) it just doesn't seem worth it for that amount of money - whereas I can imagine maybe if you were the type of player who played with your friends, it might be

danlk1ng

PSN: DanLking

Th3solution

@danlk1ng That’s a good point — there are better single player FPS out there, like Metro or Wolfenstein. It’s probably better to go that route for people who prefer to play a SP FPS campaign. Still, at the end of the day, taking out SP gives the vibe of less game for more money, which is a touchy subject with gamers right now, even if few people would have played it.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I’m probably the only person that buys these FPS games for the single player campaigns. If I want to play a shooter online then I’ll play Overwatch, CSGO or Valorant. Whereas I spent loads of time playing Modern Warfare 2’s Spec Ops and campaign.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

I owned a few Battlefield games in my life, but for the life of me I can't remember if any of them had a campaign. Always played them for the multiplayer only.

I know most players here look at a game like Battlefield, and see a game made of two components: single player and multiplayer.

For most Battlefield gamers, though, a campaign is just one mode among many. And modes in Battlefield just come and go. If one of them is leaving that's not that big of a deal, if another mode takes its place.

Kidfried

Godabove09

I mean, I kind of get it.

I'm sure E.A and/or DICE have done some polling and have looked at their own data and they've come to the realisation that hardly anyone plays the campaign anymore.

Similar to CoD, I'd imagine.

I haven't played a CoD campaign since MW3, but I've played every multiplayer at some point.

Better they use the time and money saved on a campaign and put it towards refining and balancing the multiplayer.

Still, I totally get why those who enjoy the campaign are annoyed...and it is less content for the same price.

Edited on by Godabove09

Godabove09

BowTiesAreCool

Godabove09 wrote:

I mean, I kind of get it.

I'm sure E.A and/or DICE have done some polling and have looked at their own data and they've come to the realisation that hardly anyone plays the campaign anymore.

This reminds me of the faux-outrage over Battlefront 2015. A game in which a campaign absolutely did not belong in anyway, so we got a (admittedly) semi-decent campaign in the sequel which shock horror went mostly unplayed. They've learnt their lesson, save the resources in sorting the multiplayer out.

BowTiesAreCool

Godabove09

@BowTiesAreCool I agree.

Don't get me wrong, and a proper Star Wars campaign would have been great.

But, we were never going to get that...and in the end we get a morsel, and it left people feeling like what was the point.

Edited on by Godabove09

Godabove09

JohnnyShoulder

I'm seeing a lot of this:

Dice have got a lot of work to do over the next month or so it seems.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Mergatro1d

@JohnnyShoulder It's true. I played a couple of hours last night and there are sooooo many glitches with asset and texture streaming, crazy physics etc; the netcode was just about ok and will be interesting to see how things are when the beta fully opens. Could they be running an older version as their focus will be on stress testing rather than giving the full-fat experience?

Having said all this, it does have the makings of something pretty epic.

Mergatro1d

PSN: mergatro1d

JohnnyShoulder

@Mergatro1d It could be. Their betas have never been great and I get that they are unfinished and stuff, but this is so close to launch. The ones I played were a bit further out from release, so gave them more time to fix things.

johncalmc

Phew. Good job they axed the single player campaign so they could spend more time not finishing the multiplayer.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Voltan

Looks like there's some pretty cool stuff in the game but it needs a bit more work.

Voltan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.