Forums

Topic: PushSquare Forums Game of The Year 2023 (Multiplatform)- Semi Finals

Posts 21 to 40 of 95

CJD87

@Fight_Teza_Fight

Great idea...! Please do tag me for future voting/developments as this progresses. My top 5 below:

1) Baldurs Gate 3 (5 points)
2) Lies of P (4 points)
3) TOTK (3 points)
4) Blasphemous 2 (2 points)
5) Hi-Fi Rush (1 point)

**EDIT: Completely forgot about Hi-Fi Rush! Deleted AC6 from spot #5 and replaced with Hi-Fi**

BG3 really really surprised me, wasn't hyped at all... but am loving it so much. Similar to Lies, my expectations were rock bottom - but the devs did a fine job.

TOTK and AC6 underwhelmed me a bit personally, and at the start of the year I would have expected both to have ranked higher (and likely they would have, if it wasn't for BG3 and Lies)

Edited on by CJD87

CJD87

Fight_Teza_Fight

@QualityGeezer Would you rank Tchia above FFXVI (points allocation).

Thanks for voting everyone! Keep them coming! Nice mix of games so far.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Jimmer-jammer

I was hoping to get further along in Alan Wake II as it could very well break into my top five but it’s not looking like that’s going to happen in time. As it stands:

5 points: Final Fantasy XVI
This is not a perfect game, nor do I believe it’s a masterpiece but no game this year moved me the way this one did. It challenged me in surprising ways. It overwhelmed my senses with its stunning imagery and arresting soundtrack, at times unexpectedly moving me to tears. I took great joy in learning about the rich world of Valisthea, drawing enlightening parallels with reality the way good fantasy does. I feel the combat system is just fantastic, striking a difficult but brilliant balance between being simple and accessible while still offering depth to those looking for it. A true spectacle that truly champions the human experience.

4 points: Spider-Man 2
While nothing groundbreaking, the quality on display here is beyond impressive. It also manages to tell a deeply layered story of what it means to be a hero, which is what Spider-Man is all about.

3 points: The Talos Principle 2

This is an utterly brilliant sequel. It builds off of the first in all the right ways, combining incredible puzzles, beautiful environments full of secrets to explore and a surprisingly thoughtful rpg experience steeped in philosophy. The soundtrack is also wonderful.

2 points: Cocoon

Conceptually, no game I played this year touches the mechanical genius that drives this experience. Hard to explain but easy to understand in practice, this ocean deep simplicity is its strength and its beating heart.

1 point: Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

While it rarely reaches the highs of Nioh II, I came to appreciate the more focused combat system and felt its experimental flourishes, such as the flag system, were a huge success and injected valuable new life into a genre that can really go either way for me, despite my love for it. Just a top tier action game.

Might be worth noting that, for my money, I only played one 10/10 game this year and I can’t bring myself to vote for it 😂 Resident Evil 4 Remake is a masterpiece. Thanks for doing this, @Fight_Teza_Fight !

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Grumblevolcano

I'll have 2 lists as I'm not sure whether 2 of the games count:
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (5 points) - Does it count given waves 4 - 6 of the Booster Course Pass released this year?
2. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (4 points)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (3 points) - Does it count given the big DLC Future Redeemed released this year?
4. Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (2 points)
5. Pikmin 4

If my #1 and #3 picks don't count:
1. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (5 points)
2. Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (4 points)
3. Pikmin 4 (3 points)
4. Super Mario RPG (2 points)
5. Metroid Prime Remastered (1 point)

Grumblevolcano

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Jimmer-jammer No problem! I really need to play Cocoon it seems like. Has been popping up on a few GOTY lists & reviewed very well over here as well.

@Grumblevolcano XB3: Future Redeemed counts, but I’ve got to draw the line on MK8: Deluxe😅- will be 10 next year. Could you swap that out please?

@QualityGeezer Thanks!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Ryall

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (5 points) switch
2. Trails to Azure (4 points) PS4
3. Master detective archives: rain code (3 points) switch
4. Trails into Reverie (2 points) PS4.
5. Alan Wake 2 (1 point) PS5.

Ryall

Grumblevolcano

@Fight_Teza_Fight Ok, so my list is:
1. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (5 points)
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (4 points)
3. Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (3 points)
4. Pikmin 4 (2 points)
5. Super Mario RPG (1 point)

Grumblevolcano

Ravix

5 points Baldur's Gate 3
4 points Final Fantasy XVI
3 points Legend of Zelda: TOTK
2 points Tchia
1 point I forfeit so I don't accidentally give it to EASFC24 😅

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Grumblevolcano Thanks!
@Ravix You might as well…you’d never guess what my GOTY is, but it is what it is😂.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Ravix

@Fight_Teza_Fight oh go on then, but it is far, far from my game of the year, it just happens to be the 5th new game that I can remember playing this year haha. But maybe just add half a point for EASFC (I doubt it will get any more from anyone else. So we're safe from it advancing 😁)

The rest are fine with BG3 taking my personal win for the 5 points.

⚔️🛡🐎

KilloWertz

@Ravix What happened to Forspoken? Your sig says it's your GotY?

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Fight_Teza_Fight

Last day for nominations! Ends today 7pm GMT.

My nominations are:

1) efootball24 -5pts
2) Sea of Stars -4pts
3) Blasphemous 2 -3pts
4) Street Fighter 6 -2pts
5) Yu-gi-oh! Master Duel -1pt

Honourable mentions: Tchia, Venba, Dredge

I know efootball24 has no chance of winning, but it’s the game that I almost plan my free time around.
Over the weekend I’ll easily put in 6-7 hours while I'm watching the actual football on a different screen😅. It’s gotten so bad that I’m dreading the end of year ‘wrap-up’ email from PlayStation😂.
It’s F2P & I’ve spent less than £5 on it just to get some coins & get onto the premium match pass- which is easily obtainable with regular play.
I never thought it was P2W as the players are only as good as the user. Perhaps it makes a difference for the top 1%, but I’m nowhere near them & regularly beat stronger teams via the skill based matchmaking.

Yu-gi-oh Master Duel gets in there by default I guess. It’s a fine game, but the lag can be brutal.
Also online almost everyone plays the meta. Which means that the first turn will almost always determine the outcome of the duel. Whoever can withstand it usually wins.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

KilloWertz

1) Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (5 Points)
2) Cyberpunk 2077 (4 Points)
3) Resident Evil 4 (3 Points)
4) Horizon Forbidden West (2 Points)
5) Final Fantasy XVI (1 Point)

I've played several DLCs this year and PS4 games in my backlog, so that is why I have more games from past years that got DLC this year than actual new games. I'll get to some of the obvious ones eventually,

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Fight_Teza_Fight

After 49 nominations, we have our Top 16!

Well top 17 as #15,#16 & #17 tied with 5pts & 2 nominations. #17 was randomly added to group C.

Here’s how they ranked:

1. Final Fantasy XVI -38pts
2. Marvels Spider-Man 2 -31pts
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom -26pts
4. Baldur’s Gate 3 -20pts
5. Dead Space Remake -19pts
6. Hogwarts Legacy -18pts
7. Resident Evil 4 Remake -14pts
8. Tchia -10pts
9. Blasphemous 2 -8pts
10. Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened -8pts
11. Sea of Stars -7pts
12. Super Mario Bros Wonder -7pts
13. The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure -7pts
14. Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp -7pts
15. Assassin’s Creed Mirage -5pts
16. Cocoon -5pts
17. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man who Erased his Name -5pts

Here’s our ‘last 16’:

Group A
•The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
•Tchia
•Super Mario Bros Wonder
•Assassin’s Creed Mirage

Group B
•Final Fantasy XVI
•Hogwarts Legacy
•Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
•Cocoon

Group C
•Marvels Spider-Man 2
•Dead Space Remake
•Sea of Stars
•The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure
•Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man who Erased his Name

Group D
•Baldur’s Gate 3
•Resident Evil 4 Remake
•Blasphemous 2
•Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp

—————————————————————————
For those wondering in case of equal points the head to heads to determine the ranking were:

Number of perfect scores->Number of nominations->remove my own vote.

Interesting takeaway: Final Fantasy XVI received the most number of perfect scores, but Baldur’s Gate 3 is the only game to only receive perfect scores.

The last 16 round will be split in two & take place over the week.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution @AnVold @kyleforrester87 @Kidfried @LN78 @Max_Headroom @LtSarge @R1spam @CaptD @Lavalera @nessisonett @BearsEatBeets @Ralizah @RogerRoger @RR529 @QualityGeezer @CJD87 @Jimmer-jammer @Grumblevolcano @Ryall @Ravix @KilloWertz @KilloWertz

Thanks for voting so far!
Please vote for your top 3 games in each group. Your favourite scores 5pts, second one 3pts & the third placed game scores 1pt.
Top 2 will advance. 1 game finishing with the most points in 3rd place from the 4 groups will advance as the Wildcard.

Group A
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Tchia
Super Mario Bros Wonder
Assassin’s Creed Mirage

Group B
Final Fantasy XVI
Hogwarts Legacy
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Cocoon

Voting is open to everyone. Last 16 voting ends Thursday, 14/12/2023 7pm GMT.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Ralizah

Group A:
TotK (5 points)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (3 points)
Tchia (1 point)

Group B:
Cocoon (5 points)
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (3 points)
Hogwarts Legacy (1 point)

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Lavalera

Haven't played a single game from group A so will only vote on Group B:

Final Fantasy 16 5 points
Hogwarts legacy 3 points
Cocoon 1 point

PSNid: Lavalera

Th3solution

Group A:
1) Tchia - 5 pts

Group B:
1) Hogwarts Legacy - 5 pts

I really don’t have full opinion to rank the others

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

Group A

Tears of the Kingdom - 5 Points
Tchia - 3 points

Group B

Final Fantasy XVI - 5 points

⚔️🛡🐎

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic