Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 2,111

Bentleyma

Can anyone recommend any games similar to Persona 5 on PS4? I've played the Trails of Cold Steel games and Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Anything else come to mind?

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Th3solution

@Bentleyma- I guess it depends what it is you like about Persona 5. I don’t know of others with a similar recipe besides the Trails of Cold Steel games on PS4, although the Shin Megami Tensei games are the closest as far as older gen games (well outside of Persona 1-4), so if you have access to a PS3 or PS2 you’ll have a lot there.

If it’s turn based combat with some light high school social events you like, then I could recommend Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4. Both a fantastic games, but the turn based combat, although excellent, is completely different from Persona. But it has a similar charm with memorable characters and storyline.

I think Dragon Quest XI has a solid Jrpg turn based formula, if that’s what you’re looking for. I haven’t played it though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Bentleyma- To be honest, you’d be better with a Vita, Switch or 3DS for that sorta thing. Vita has Persona 1,2,3 and 4 if you’re creative with the PSP emulator, Switch has FE Three Houses which is the closest you’ll get to Persona and 3DS has Persona Q, Etrian Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei IV which are the best Atlus games outside of Persona.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Bentleyma

@nessisonett @Th3solution Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately the only console I own right now is PS4. I decided to give Akiba's Beat a try. From what I can see from the review on this site, it seems similar to a Persona game. You get to explore Akihabara and do dungeons too. I've only just started it, so it could end up being nothing like the Persona games. We'll see!

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

MaulTsir

@Bentleyma- I've just finished Tales of Beseria and its a brilliant jrpg, I haven't played Persona 5 so couldn't really comment if its the same but as far as jrpgs go its a solid one for the ps4

MaulTsir

Bentleyma

@MaulTsir I'm a massive Tales of fan. I highly recommend Tales of Vesperia if you've never played it. Probably my favourite game in the series.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

Black_Swordsman

Can anybody tell me if Ghostbusters The Video Game on PS4 has the same bugs as the PS3 version? Specifically, do you have to play the game all the way through more or less in one or two sessions as it only saves up to a certain mission?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

BearsEatBeets

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Not sure what the bugs were with the PS3 version but the only issue I had playing through it was some sound mix problems where I occasionally could barely hear certain characters talk. I uploaded a video showing examples of it which you can see here

Searching online I couldn't find any other mention of this issue so it may have been some rare bizarre issue with my game and if I play it again or go for a few more trophies I'll just turn on the subtitles.

As for save issues, I didn't experience any. I played it in small sessions (roughly a mission/chapter at a time) and could save whenever and always found when I reloaded it was pretty much exactly where I stopped.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

BearsEatBeets

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah totally. I can't deny the sound issue put a bit of a dampener on it and made it a little harder to follow the story. Plus near the end I found it a bit of a challenge with constantly needing to revive the other Ghostbusters. Aside from that though it is was a fun game and for any fans of the films it's a great feeling to bust ghosts with a proton pack alongside the original cast.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett What games are you currently playing? Ever tried Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered? Fan of the movies?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Never tried the game and honestly not really seen the movies other than on TV on a Sunday afternoon years ago! Just now I’m playing DOOM with the Game Club, started Alien Isolation and I’ve been playing Assassin’s Creed III Remastered.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

batwing47

Gonna slip in a random recommendation: West of Dead. It is a pretty entertaining rogue-like that you don't have to commit an insane amount of time towards. I used it as a palate cleanser after I finished TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Also, Ron Perlman voices the main character. The fact that I dug Del Toro's Hellboy movies went a long way in making the story and narration interesting.

Edited on by batwing47

Eat the path.

PSN: batwing47

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I beat the first mission of DOOM before giving up on it after I got a bit frustrated searching for the way forward in the second mission. How are you finding it and the other games buddy?

Black_Swordsman

Torn between ordering Cuphead or The Witcher 3 GOTY edition for the DLC which I didn't play the first time around, only completed the main story (vanilla Witcher 3). Any advice? Obviously Cuphead is more affordable and a fresh story, but it's not exactly the same as TW3 in terms of plot and world-size.

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic The Witcher DLC is fantastic and both are pretty meaty affairs.

Heart of Stone is enjoyable but Blood and Wine is simply great. It goes completely over the top with its medieval tropes which Geralt finds as entertaining as he usually does. Very highly recommended if you enjoyed the base game. B&W also wraps up the Witcher 3 game really nicely too.

Thrillho

Thrillho

The Halloween sale on PSN has some pretty great deals. I reckon it might finally be time for me to pick Death Stranding up at under £25..

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic