Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 2,111

sorteddan

@Th3solution
Thanks for your detailed response. Your enthusiasm decided it for me so I opted for Nier...
However when I went to trade in a bunch of old stuff gathering dust on the shelf I got way more than expected so was able to pick em both up - along with Horizon Zero Dawn, Prey and Wolfenstein: New Order!
Awesome. Just awesome.
Anyhow with those plus my current backlog I got way too much to occupy my time for the duration.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@Sorteddan Great! It’s a win-win. Horizon Zero Dawn is also a gem. Doesn’t quite crack my top 5 but is fantastic all the same. It’s strength is in the combat and fun setting. The story turns out to be surprisingly good too. It dragged a teeny bit through the middle (which the same can definitely be said of NieR) but it picks up at the latter part and hooked me through to the epic conclusion.

Prey and New Order are two that I have on my list to try one day, as I hear great things on both as well. But like you, I have a back-breaking backlog of my own that makes it hard experience everything I want. I think God of War may be coming up soon if I can pull myself away from Ghost of Tsushima. Lately I just follow my mood and pull things from the backlog when I feel the urge.
I hope you enjoy your new games!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

BowTiesAreCool

@Th3solution exactly the same with Nier Automata. Going down a few wikia rabbit holes and going through the art books and stuff, it's crazy how much I missed out on because I wasn't paying attention. The second (full) playthrough had it all stuck in my head ever since. About a year or so ago now.

BowTiesAreCool

Th3solution

@BowTiesAreCool Agreed. Reading and watching YouTube videos after finishing the game is some of the best part of the experience, where you can contemplate philosophical meanings and see all the theories out there. I too missed a few salient points on the way through since it’s easy to just get in “video game mode” and just hack and slash away. I didn’t do a repeat full playthrough yet. I do listen to the soundtrack often, however. Fantastic game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution So glad the soundtrack’s on Spotify now. There’s so many great game OSTs on it now.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

I was thinking of getting one or two of these games: Spongebob Squarepants: Battle For Bikini Bottom Rehydrated, Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition. I have already completed Batman and The Witcher, but I am interested in their DLCs if one or both of them have DLC-related trophies? Out of the other games listed which do you think is the better game and worth playing over the other one, out of Spongebob & Uncharted 4? Thanks in advance.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yep both TW3 and Batman AK have DLC trophies. Not played either of them though or the other games you mentioned.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic The DLC trophies for Arkham Knight are a nightmare. Almost all of them are pretty traditional and simple to unlock, but then there was a final "Community Challenge Pack" list added which is full of impossible, and I mean impossible, combat and stealth trophies for hardcore fans who'd complained about everything previous being too easy. I foolishly got the game's platinum before it was released, thinking they'd finished with the Season Pass and so I'd be safe to do so, but now I have a platinum trophy forever stuck beside a 92% statistic. Drives me up the freakin' wall.

Aside from that, the DLC is pretty cool. Lots of Batmobile race tracks from various movies and TV shows, extra outfits for playable characters, and the "Season of Infamy" adds some really crucial character moments for the conclusion of the story, particularly with regards Mr. Freeze.

Alas, I can't speak to a comparison between Uncharted 4 and Spongebob, as I've only played the former, but I did replay it recently and found it hadn't aged well during its console generation.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Black_Swordsman

I'm after Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Deluxe Edition) next. Does anyone reckon it'll be worth it for someone coming from the Souls games? I've played a little of it and was satisfied with the mechanics, but didn't play enough to give an educated verdict. Anyway, is it similar enough to be thoroughly enjoyable? Or just a great game overall anyway, in which case I would get it anyway. I noticed some Uncharted elements thrown into the mix in the prologue as well, so that obviously differentiates it from Dark Souls ,somewhat.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Despite never having played a Soulsborne game, I've heard plenty of the genre's fans appreciate the combat in Jedi: Fallen Order. If you're a veteran, then you'll likely enjoy the higher difficulty settings (Jedi Master or Jedi Grand Master) although there's no incentive to stay up there if you're not having fun, and you can raise or lower it anytime via the pause menu. It can get quite challenging later on, particularly with a certain combination of creatures and its final two boss encounters.

It's basically a mash-up of a Soulsborne, a Metroidvania and yeah, an Uncharted (although I'd argue that it's more akin to a modern Tomb Raider game). If you're a Star Wars fan, you're guaranteed a great time with the story and characters; if not, you can still do worse.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I agree completely with @RogerRoger and don’t have much to add, except to say that the Souls-like combat is a wee-bit toned down from the Souls games I played. I did Fallen Order on Jedi Master, so I image if you do the hardest difficulty of Grand Master then you’ll experience a close combat experience to the FromSoftware titles.

Although I would recommend Fallen Order to those who want a Souls-like with a more overt storyline and some Star Wars charisma, have you considered Nioh, Nioh 2, The Surge, The Surge 2, or Code Vein? I’ve played none of the them but all have the FromSoft inspiration from what I can tell and it sounds like you’re hungry for more of that.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’d say it’s closer to Sekiro in that it’s an action game, not an RPG. I enjoyed it enough to platinum the game, just technical issues held it back from being a really great game for me. That being said, it’s not as if the Souls games aren’t technical disasters on many fronts so perhaps that would give that certain janky flair the Souls games are known for.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Beaten Jedi Fallen Order now, did you play any of New Game Plus? You get a red lightsaber and Inquistor gear.

Black_Swordsman

Thinking of picking up Bayonetta after completing Jedi Fallen Order. Does anyone know if it's worth it? Would you say it's a bit of a come-down after STWJFO? The gameplay looks similar to the original God of War trilogy. Is it? On a side-note, I really enjoyed Ascension in that original series of GoW video games, but a fiendishly difficult puzzle put me off, even a Youtube walkthrough couldn't help me. Does Bayonetta have many puzzles? Is there a lot of story like in Jedi Fallen Order?

I am also interested in a game called 'The Forest' . What's that like? Would anyone recommend it?

Black_Swordsman

@Kidfried I have played Nioh, seemed a bit bland and uninteresting compared to the Souls games, what did you reckon of it?

andreoni79

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Bayonetta is the quintessence of Platinum Games and the many difficulty levels let you play as you prefer, focusing on it's fast and brutal combat system. Puzzles? None, but you can customize the character buying weapons, accessories and weapons.
Vanquish is another must play among action games!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

HallowMoonshadow

I've seen a couple of video reviews for Nexomon: Extinction which were rather positive compared the more middling mini review by ShogunRok on here and was just wondering if anyone here has some first hand experience with the game as I've heard it's already had a number of quality of life improvements to it?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I really enjoyed Nioh as the weapon stance mechanic gave some good variety. The bosses were well designed and the level format worked fine.

They needed a greater array of enemy types but overall I liked it. That said, I’ve not felt the need to play the second game.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I got the platinum for Star Wars in my first playthrough, I didn’t really want to play the game all over again. Nioh though, that’s a brilliant game. I’d put it up there with Dark Souls but it’s more of a Ninja Gaiden successor than anything. Bayonetta’s also brilliant but it’s a straight action game and not everyone likes that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic