Project Cars PS4 PlayStation 4 Delays

Project CARS had hoped to imitate Gran Turismo in the gameplay department – but we don't think that anyone expected it to challenge Polyphony Digital's seminal series in the release date drama department, too. Having been pushed out of the holiday season, the Slightly Mad Studios developed simulation was all set to release in March, before being dumped into April. Now it's set to deploy in mid-May, according to publisher Bandai Namco.

"Despite our long heritage and pedigree in making critically-acclaimed racing games, Project CARS is by far the grandest and most intricately detailed of them all," studio gaffer Ian Bell said in a press release. "Despite therefore the game being 99.9% complete, the remaining 0.1% attending to small issues and bugs has been tricky to anticipate. We're absolutely dedicated to delivering a ground-breaking experience, and by targeting mid-May fans can be assured that that's what they'll receive."

This has been a big day for delays, with Uncharted 4: A Thief's End also pushed back. Of course, the good news is that developers appear to be responding positively to the cock-ups that occurred last Christmas. "There's a high expectancy from racing fans around the world that [this game] is going to be an exciting new contender in the simulation racing space," added Bell, "and we firmly believe that gamers deserve it to be in its most complete and polished state when they come to play it on day one."

Honestly, while it's disappointing, we reckon that this is the right approach. To make up for things, the British-based studio will be offering "some free content" to players as compensation, which it promises will be revealed shortly. Has this delay put a puncture in your anticipation for Project CARS, or are you just happy that it's getting the extra polish that it deserves? Make a pit stop in the comments section below.