Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,988

TheFrenchiestFry

I mean, hasn't that kind of been the case for years? Since like XII in particular?

In my opinion there isn't a set criteria for what exactly dictates a Final Fantasy game being just that, because since the PlayStation 1 games they've rapidly changed setting, character design tropes, storytelling techniques, gameplay techniques and themes for every game. VIII doesn't look at all like VII, XIII doesn't look at all like X, IX doesn't look at all like X-2, and XV doesn't look at all like VI. It's a series that constantly tries to experiment with new things, but at least the core elements like having summons and production value that pushes the spectacle and visuals to new levels are all stil there.

I can't really describe what makes a Final Fantasy game as being a set criteria, but rather just very few essential components. It looks like Dark Souls or Witcher 3, but then again they showed like a 3 or 4 minute trailer of nothing but a few cinematics and very brief gameplay snippets. Compare that to VII where in all the marketing they literally just showed the FMVs and none of the actual gameplay. I'd say this is probably a game I have to really see more of, but I like what I see.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

HallowMoonshadow

Heya @Ralizah! Sorry for the late reply! (I've been away from Push Square for nearly two weeks. You musta not seen my post in the goodybe thread!)

All you need to do to get those items is to beat those monsters a number of times and hope you get the special items "Pinaka" and "Nandaka" from Parvati and Narashimha respectively. There's a skill called "Item find" I think that should come in handy? Maybe a higher luck stat'll help out too? I'm not too sure about that one though

Did you get Heat in the final dungeon? Or were you still stuck with Roland? Not to mention everything after the airport is (Or was if you've beaten it by now) certainly interesting isn't it?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah, sorry, I didn't see your post in that thread. I haven't been maintaining a massive presence around here lately either. I hope you're feeling better!

My character's terrible luck stat would probably explain why I can't seem to find these items. I knew it must have been useful for something!

I was technically stuck with Roland, although I didn't use him at all. I assume you get Heat if you do something differently? Although, to be honest, he's a more physical attacker, and a tsundere, so I'm not heartbroken over not getting him back in my party.

Yeah, the entire second half of the game is... weird. I've actually finished it now, but I'll probably go back and try to find those items while I'm writing my review. It feels a bit like Atlus had no idea what to do with the story once the player got to the sun.

I will say: that almighty nuke you get at the end of the game is a lot of fun to spam on all of the random enemies. I had so many of those stat-boosting items that restore your HP/MP fully, so I got through the final dungeon by using that skill and almost nothing else (with the exception of boss fights, of course!)

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Ah, sorry, I didn't see your post in that thread. I haven't been maintaining a massive presence around here lately either. I hope you're feeling better!

I am thank you and no worries! Glad to see to see you're ok too @Ralizah!

Yeah depending on the dialogue choices you choose throughout both games depends on whom you get in the final dungeon. If you pick all the friendly options with Heat (I think) you get him back in the final stretch with all the grids Roland learnt I believe?

I know what you mean... I was pretty surprised when I first played it too. Really goes all in on the Hindu themes that were (admitedly) fairly present throughout the games huh? I did think the whole Schrödinger being Seraph from another universe guiding them along and to get Seraph on the path of enlightenment was rather interesting. Weird as hell but interesting.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

Earlier today, my partner and I visited the Halloween Event running in Animal Crossing: New Horizons and, despite its narrow availability window, it was pretty fun. Ended up walking around with a pumpkin on my head, which only added to the whole "Bond Villain" vibe I had going with my appearance.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Arugula It's ridiculously so, isn't it? Had it been my copy of the game, in my flat and on my (hypothetical) Switch, I'd have long since abandoned it, same as you. As it stands, I only check in with my partner every ten days or so, and that's kept it fresher for longer.

But he's still playing it daily and, the above being said, I can totally understand why.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Zero no Kiseki just got really, really good in a short space of time. It had been slowly building, introducing characters both old and new and then Chapter 3 just drops bomb after bomb, picking up plot threads from several games ago. It’s hard to really go into the details without major spoilers but the shared-universe approach is paying off massively. I couldn’t imagine jumping straight to Cold Steel and missing out on all this exposition and character development.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

PSVR_lover

I just bought a Switch. Not happy with Sony censoring games. I am playing YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world. It’s a lovely game too.

I am keeping and playing my PS4. No PS5 until this issue gets resolved.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

nessisonett

I’ve been playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg again on GameCube. I forgot how much I love/loathe this game. Such a bizarre game but brutally difficult to the point that I’m shocked I beat it back in the day. The Sonic Team Easter eggs are still cool and the soundtrack is fantastic. Even the graphics are still serviceable outside of some annoying lighting issues. Apparently it only sold 250k worldwide which is shockingly terrible. Explains the lack of sequel but man, I miss the days of Dreamcast->GameCube Sega, they had some amazing games back then.

Anti-Matter

Hmm...
Kiddie and girly 3DS game MahoCole: Mahou Idol Collection 3DS 😉
Untitled

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

I played a bit of the first Killzone on PS Now, not really played much of the series at all before. I find pre-Modern Warfare controls on a controller absolutely baffling to be honest. It’s crazy how long it took to find good controls for an FPS. That’s to say, the controls in Killzone have taken some getting used to.

Ralizah

So, I've effectively finished Super Mario Sunshine, since I've found all the sprites that are available via challenges (hidden sprites; 100 coin challenges; etc.), but thanks to the ruddy blue coins, there's hours of repetitive backtracking ahead of me. I like the game a lot overall, but its issues have definitely stood out to me more on this playthrough versus my initial GameCube playthrough 5 years ago or so.

@PSVR_lover I doubt the censoring "issue" is ever getting resolved. It's reflective of the altered corporate climate and company ethos in general. Although it won't be as visible an issue on PS5, as games that would have gotten censored just won't hit the platform at all, and will likely opt for PC and/or Nintendo Switch instead.

nessisonett

@Ralizah Good luck with the blue coins, I remember printing out a walkthrough for them back in the day. Even back then I couldn’t be arsed looking for them without help.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'm using a guide for some of them, for sure. I'll scour the levels again on my own (I've already found 20+ coins for most of the levels), but the lack of coin counts per episode and the generally stupid hiddenness of them makes them a massive pain in the rear without guidance.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Control issue aside, how are you finding the original Killzone in terms of its gameplay and overall presentation? Like you, I came late to the series and started at the beginning, and must admit to being a little disappointed with how everything kicked off. I found Killzone 2 a solid improvement, and then the one-two punch of Killzone 3 and Shadow Fall made me a fan.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Well the set pieces are somewhat impressive for the time, I have to admit. The gameplay feels a little imprecise and the guns just fire all over the place so it’s a bit hard to hit anyone but I’m sorta enjoying it. It’s very PS2, that’s for sure.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Agreed. I played the HD remaster of it on PS3 as well, which only served to push its PS2 pedigree to the fore. I'm assuming you're on original hardware. Might actually be the better choice!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oh no, I’m playing through PS Now so it’s the HD remaster but definitely the structure of the game reminds me a lot of the FPS games I grew up playing. The whole ‘barbed wire trapping you in a small shooting gallery and then getting blown up, clearing your path’ deal is very very overused. I know some people have a problem with input lag while streaming but to be honest, it’s been alright for me and it’s definitely playable. I had a look at the platinum and no chance I’m playing it 4 times with different characters but I’m enjoying it for what it is!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Of course you are; it says so in your initial post. My apologies. That'll learn me to skim-read a game's name and then rush to reply!

Good to know that there's been no input lag issues for you, especially with a shooter (where I'd argue it'd be most noticeable). Is this your first experience with PS Now, then? I did the same with the game's trophy list. I think I stuck around to mop up some of the random bonus ones, via chapter select and a few multiplayer matches against bots, but only played the campaign through the once. I might return to it with fresh eyes soon; discussing it is making me wonder whether my memories are accurate.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I’ve used PS Now mostly for downloading games although I streamed F.E.A.R, Resi Code Veronica X, the original God of War games and such. They mostly worked fine to be honest but I used a wired connection.

Edited on by nessisonett

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic