Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 821 to 840 of 863

Kidfried

@Ralizah I didn't really dare to post here when I just started the game, because I was underwhelmed at first. The setup of the game is long winded and just goes from cliche to cliche. I still pushed through, but I really wondered when the game was actually going to "start".

I'm now 20-something hours in and enjoying the game way more. I'm playing it in short bursts mostly, so I'm not going to be making progress fast. And that's great too, it's just awesome to have this kind of fairy tale world to return to for half an hour every few days.

Anyway, my party's complete, my boat is sailing at full speed and I'm taking my time exploring Dragon Quest's world. And the game is getting better by the hour right now. I just love travelling from town to town, that sense of being on a big adventure, that the old Final Fantasies gave me. It's very old school, but it is all very well made. The battle system is turn-based perfection.

So, yea, it's quite good. Expect me to finish this one somewhere in 2021!

MarlonJohan

I've been playing the Trails series on PC which has been awesome. This is actually one of the few full series that I have re-played a lot of times because of the emotional connection that I have with it.

MarlonJohan

stuzster

On Switch, I just finished Return Of The Obra Dinn, and I'm moving onto Gone Home - both of which I have been pretty impressed with.

stuzster

nessisonett

I’ve just started Final Fantasy V for the first time, I thought I might as well get round to it as it’s the only mainline FF I haven’t at least started. I’ve gone for the GBA version as the PS1 version apparently has a strangely bad script and annoying loading times.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Yes. the Advance versions of both FFV and FFVI are still the best versions of those respective games. Don't even get me started on their mobile ports.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I have a patched cart of FFVI Advance that sorts the music and I’d say it’s the definitive edition. I’ve never been big on the classic medieval FF games compared to VII or X’s settings but I’m liking the light hearted tone so far!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Honestly after years of nothing but sci-fi or cyberpunk-influenced settings for recent Final Fantasy games, I'm glad XVI decided to actually take things back to basics in a sense. The return of the medieval setting to the series is actually pretty refreshing if you've followed these games as they were coming out, because after IX they didn't really return to that setting or aesthetic until now with main entries.

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Well my first game was III so I’ve flip-flopped between styles as I played through the entries. I still think VI has the best mix of cyberpunk and medieval, it feels like a true blend.

Ralizah

I don't necessarily mind more fantasy-themed settings (I love FFIV), but FFXVI barely even feels like a FF game to me. It's very dark and action-y looking, and the character designs aren't particularly memorable. Feels very Western-influenced.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

PSN: Ralizah

TheFrenchiestFry

I mean, hasn't that kind of been the case for years? Since like XII in particular?

In my opinion there isn't a set criteria for what exactly dictates a Final Fantasy game being just that, because since the PlayStation 1 games they've rapidly changed setting, character design tropes, storytelling techniques, gameplay techniques and themes for every game. VIII doesn't look at all like VII, XIII doesn't look at all like X, IX doesn't look at all like X-2, and XV doesn't look at all like VI. It's a series that constantly tries to experiment with new things, but at least the core elements like having summons and production value that pushes the spectacle and visuals to new levels are all stil there.

I can't really describe what makes a Final Fantasy game as being a set criteria, but rather just very few essential components. It looks like Dark Souls or Witcher 3, but then again they showed like a 3 or 4 minute trailer of nothing but a few cinematics and very brief gameplay snippets. Compare that to VII where in all the marketing they literally just showed the FMVs and none of the actual gameplay. I'd say this is probably a game I have to really see more of, but I like what I see.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Heya @Ralizah! Sorry for the late reply! (I've been away from Push Square for nearly two weeks. You musta not seen my post in the goodybe thread!)

All you need to do to get those items is to beat those monsters a number of times and hope you get the special items "Pinaka" and "Nandaka" from Parvati and Narashimha respectively. There's a skill called "Item find" I think that should come in handy? Maybe a higher luck stat'll help out too? I'm not too sure about that one though

Did you get Heat in the final dungeon? Or were you still stuck with Roland? Not to mention everything after the airport is (Or was if you've beaten it by now) certainly interesting isn't it?

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah, sorry, I didn't see your post in that thread. I haven't been maintaining a massive presence around here lately either. I hope you're feeling better!

My character's terrible luck stat would probably explain why I can't seem to find these items. I knew it must have been useful for something!

I was technically stuck with Roland, although I didn't use him at all. I assume you get Heat if you do something differently? Although, to be honest, he's a more physical attacker, and a tsundere, so I'm not heartbroken over not getting him back in my party.

Yeah, the entire second half of the game is... weird. I've actually finished it now, but I'll probably go back and try to find those items while I'm writing my review. It feels a bit like Atlus had no idea what to do with the story once the player got to the sun.

I will say: that almighty nuke you get at the end of the game is a lot of fun to spam on all of the random enemies. I had so many of those stat-boosting items that restore your HP/MP fully, so I got through the final dungeon by using that skill and almost nothing else (with the exception of boss fights, of course!)

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

PSN: Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ralizah wrote:

Ah, sorry, I didn't see your post in that thread. I haven't been maintaining a massive presence around here lately either. I hope you're feeling better!

I am thank you and no worries! Glad to see to see you're ok too @Ralizah!

Yeah depending on the dialogue choices you choose throughout both games depends on whom you get in the final dungeon. If you pick all the friendly options with Heat (I think) you get him back in the final stretch with all the grids Roland learnt I believe?

I know what you mean... I was pretty surprised when I first played it too. Really goes all in on the Hindu themes that were (admitedly) fairly present throughout the games huh? I did think the whole Schrödinger being Seraph from another universe guiding them along and to get Seraph on the path of enlightenment was rather interesting. Weird as hell but interesting.

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

RogerRoger

Earlier today, my partner and I visited the Halloween Event running in Animal Crossing: New Horizons and, despite its narrow availability window, it was pretty fun. Ended up walking around with a pumpkin on my head, which only added to the whole "Bond Villain" vibe I had going with my appearance.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Arugula

@RogerRoger I was watching my other half playing this and while I bored of it quite some time ago, the music and characters never cease to make me smile. It's all just so damn cute.

Arugula

RogerRoger

@Arugula It's ridiculously so, isn't it? Had it been my copy of the game, in my flat and on my (hypothetical) Switch, I'd have long since abandoned it, same as you. As it stands, I only check in with my partner every ten days or so, and that's kept it fresher for longer.

But he's still playing it daily and, the above being said, I can totally understand why.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Zero no Kiseki just got really, really good in a short space of time. It had been slowly building, introducing characters both old and new and then Chapter 3 just drops bomb after bomb, picking up plot threads from several games ago. It’s hard to really go into the details without major spoilers but the shared-universe approach is paying off massively. I couldn’t imagine jumping straight to Cold Steel and missing out on all this exposition and character development.

PSVR_lover

I just bought a Switch. Not happy with Sony censoring games. I am playing YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world. It’s a lovely game too.

I am keeping and playing my PS4. No PS5 until this issue gets resolved.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

nessisonett

I’ve been playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg again on GameCube. I forgot how much I love/loathe this game. Such a bizarre game but brutally difficult to the point that I’m shocked I beat it back in the day. The Sonic Team Easter eggs are still cool and the soundtrack is fantastic. Even the graphics are still serviceable outside of some annoying lighting issues. Apparently it only sold 250k worldwide which is shockingly terrible. Explains the lack of sequel but man, I miss the days of Dreamcast->GameCube Sega, they had some amazing games back then.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic