Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 201 to 220 of 1,992

FullbringIchigo

i actually have gone back to play some games on my PSP, i'm playing through Persona again right now

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

I just started up a new playthrough on Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, part of the Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3. It won't take me very long (this was the first Hitman game I ever got, back in the day, and know it pretty well as a result) and I'm kinda more keen to play Contracts, which I've only ever completed once, before picking up the new PS4 versions of Blood Money and Absolution.

It's awesome to see just how much has changed, yet also how much remains the same. There are a lot of things which, going back to now, are quite jarring (you can't choke-hold guards and have a limited supply of anaesthetic, meaning you either need a heck of a lot of patience or some NPCs are just gonna have to be killed, and the suspicion meter for your disguises took me a moment to re-learn). Given that this was also an incredibly ambitious game at the time, it suffers from a certain randomness which can be charming at first, but then pigging annoying after a couple levels. Even when you reload a save, the same actions that went undetected before can suddenly raise the alarm, because guards who couldn't see through that tree or wall before totally can now.

It also shows how the character of 47 has evolved over the years. Play any of the newer games and then return to this story of redemption, where he's praying with Father Vittorio and starting each mission with a rambling, semi-philosophical monologue, and it's like he's a totally different person in some ways. But then you can also track how the events of each game, and his gradual resignation to his reality, transforms him over time. I love that David Bateson has never been re-cast; it just wouldn't be 47 without him, no matter at which stage of his arc you join him.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD How weird. That is the exact same point I gave up on when I first played it! I did find that section a lot easier in the Remastered version, but it was still tricky. Think it had more to with me playing the hell outta the other games than the improvements from the Remastered version. Although that it help a great deal in some areas like Blighttown.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah that staircase is well confusing, but it is a brilliantly designed level, the way you come back on yourself.

I've not played Demon Souls, but that came before Dark Souls and as far as I know doesn't share the same lore and story beats. So I would probably just go for 2 and 3. If you don't have the second game already, I highly recommend the ps4 remastered version. It is often on sale so you could probs easily find it for a good price.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@KratosMD That’s amazing that you were able to pick back up after 2 years and refamiliaize yourself to Dark Souls after an hour. I’m impressed. If I leave a game dormant it is always so hard to get back into it, both from a skill standpoint, and from a narrative one. And Dark Souls seems like would be one of the harder ones to pick back up, given how hard it is to begin with.
I gave up on Dark Souls back on PS3 after just a couple hours, maybe 2-3. After the first boss I think. I can’t even remember; it’s been much more than 2 yrs. more like 4. But now since I played, loved, and finished Bloodborne, maybe I’d like it the second time around. I wonder if the skill will translate over. I think I’ll start with Dark Souls 3, since supposedly it’s the most similar to BB. But I have too much in my backlog for now.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@KratosMD I’ve actually salivated over the Dark Souls collection. A beautiful steelbook of the definitive edition of all three games for PS4. But at $80, it is actually cheaper to buy the three each separately. And I got DS3 Fire Fades Ed on sale for like $15, so I just nabbed it. The Remastered Ver of DS is a little harder to find at a deal; it seems like Black Friday they it going for about $30 at best.
That’s an interesting take on BB vs DS. I’ve read several people’s opinions and recommendations about how to approach DS after getting into BB, but never really heard it referred to as more laid back or, to use your description, “more relaxing and satisfying.” I think most have stated that it is more tactical, and less forgiving of experimentation and aggressive style of combat as compared to BB because of the mechanic in BB where you can gain back some lost health if you land a blow within a short time of getting hit. Since BB rewards more twitch gameplay, I assumed it was probably “easier” so to speak, but I can appreciate your description of DS being a more relaxed experience because of the defensive options available.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Out of the 4 games I say the 2nd is the easiest, followed by DS, BB and the then DS3. @KratosMD is correct in that a shield makes a big difference to how you can approach the game. You can also use a bow and arrow which have a bigger range than the guns in BB iirc, and have a pure magic build (which would be super crazy to do on your first play through). There is way more customisation options open to you in the souls game than there was in BB.

Hippy_Pirate_89

Having a little PS2 resurgence at the moment, so currently bouncing between:

The Thing

(One of all-time favourite films, remember playing this at release and being blown away - apart from the controls I think it’s aged really well. Love the trust/fear mechanic)

Star Ocean: Till the end of time

Playing this for the first time as I saw it pretty cheap in a shop. Only a couple of hours in but I’m enjoying it so far, not a huge fan of the battle system but il always be a sucker for turn-based.

Prince of Persia: Sands of time

Haven’t played this since release. The sound is weirdly muffled but I kinda like it. Still a great game.

Hippy_Pirate_89

RogerRoger

@Hippy_Pirate_89 What an awesome generation to revisit. Whilst I've never played any of the games you mention, just the thought of a PS2 marathon makes me smile!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Hippy_Pirate_89

Definitely mate, my favourite generation for sure, I’d still be happy with a PS2 and a Dreamcast haha@RogerRoger

Hippy_Pirate_89

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD There is a way of not killing him, iirc correctly you basically have to talk to him whenever you can exhausting all his dialogue, make sure his survives whenever you summon him, and kill the maggot thing on the other side of the massive stone gate where he dies. It's quite convoluted and not sure how you would know all the steps with following a guide.

The first time I played the game I hated Sens Fortress lol. But subsequent play throughs I appreciated the level design and is now one of my favourite sections in any Soulsborne game. When you finally get to the roof and outside, my what a feeling!

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I've only completed it once but played through it 3 times, giving up the first two times on 360 lol. I'm not great at replying games but as with all the Soulsborne games you can only get everything with multiple play throughs. When you start a NG+ you keep all of your gear, but the world resets so any bosses or npc's that died will be alive again, but you will not be able to warp until you get the Lordvessel. Enemies are tougher but also drop way more souls. The are two different endings depending on the choice you make after the final boss. You could always back up a save to the cloud/usb if younreslly wanna see both.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah patches appears in all the Soulsborne games and he is a right cad in all the games.

Interested to hear what you think of the DLC, it has some of the best and toughest bosses in the game. And some weird ass enemies to boot.

Thrillho

@KratosMD I never managed to finish DS1 as I bought a PS4 whilst playing it and hit a point where I wasn't enjoying the game and moved on. I finished DS3 and Bloodborne and couldn't ever imaging replaying those games as I'm just delighted to finish them! Similarly, I never played the DLC of any either.

The "true" ending to DS3 was ridiculous to get though. I have no idea how anyone would ever get it without a guide.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Is the true ending of DS3 worth the effort?

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho You don't get a trophy for watching it on YouTube...

@Th3solution Personally no, and it might not make much sense unless you've played the other games. They are deliberately ambiguous.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Th3solution I still have no idea what happened in that ending. But that goes the same for most of the “story” in those games for me.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho @JohnnyShoulder Actually reading up on it the true ending of DS3 isn't such a ball ache to get, and am pretty sure that is the one I got and I didn't go massively out of my way to get it.

Now the Lord of Hollows Ending (which is considered the 'best')is a whole different kettle of fish.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I felt the same with the Royal Wood, and was mega disappointed with it and found it a bit boring. Oolacile made up for it though. I found the constant crying in the background quite unsettling!

Astorias is a real fan favourite not just because it is an awesome fight but cos of all the lore attached to him. When you get into the swing of things it almost feels like a dance. Kalameet was one of the most satisfying bosses for me as I had several goes at him, both solo and with summons. Got really close a few times, like the last sliver of health but always managed to get me. When I finally beat him, i almost blew the roof off with a loud roar! I actually when back to those bosses and helped other players out which was really good fun as the remaster ups the number of players you can have in one session.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic