Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,901 to 1,919 of 1,919

BeerIsAwesome

@nessisonett @LtSarge No kidding! Pretty much everything made for the PS3 up until just before Uncharted 2 came out was a bit of an afterthought. Shoddy ports, people saying Sony should've given up (thanks Lord Gaben!) and so on. Imagine Naughty Dog being the guys who basically turned the entire platform's fortunes around!

BeerIsAwesome

Anti-Matter

Dora games on PS2.

My Top 3 DDR games:
1. DDR X2 Arcade
2. DDR Extreme Arcade
3. DDR 3rd Mix Arcade

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

LtSarge

Playing through Dead Space (2023) is just pure bliss for me. I already thought the original was exceptional and the remake is so much better. Improved graphics, better atmosphere, more side content, it's just a fantastic experience altogether. Not to mention that I absolutely love horror games with a fun gameplay loop. This series along with Resident Evil are my favourite horror franchises. They're scary and they're fun to play, it's just horror perfection.

LtSarge

XandertheWise

was just playing my old SNES Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars game a half hour ago. old save file still works which is awesome.

had to backtrack from Smithy Factory all the way back to the earlier places mostly Forest Maze to finally go through that maze part to check up on the tree stump secret treasure stash. Had to watch a youtube video for that since the in game's advice is crap

Been a long long time since I played my old Super Mario RPG game.

XandertheWise

nessisonett

Started Ratchet and Clank Into The Nexus (I skipped the widely-panned spin-offs). The camera is DIRE. It accelerates which is a baffling decision for a first person shooter. The strafing controls are also much much worse. And the framerate is painful. At least it’s not supposed to be very long. I dunno, it’s just mad to me how much Insomniac dropped the ball in the PS3 era considering how prolific they’ve been since Sunset Overdrive.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nomither6

@nessisonett into nexus and all 4 one were the only mediocre ones ; i wouldn’t say they dropped the ball when they supposedly dropped the best r&c game (crack in time) and had another banger - tools of destruction & released a collection of the classics. i’d say they dropped the ball with the ps4 era since it was only one game , and that one game was a terrible remake and one of the worst r&c games of all time

nomither6

nessisonett

@nomither6 Crack in Time was not good. It was bloated with the Clank sections being some of the worst sections in any game I’ve played. The pace of the PS3 games makes challenge mode fundamentally dull too, it’s way too slow with their focus on ‘cinematic’ elements. The HD versions of the PS2 games also just introduce bugs and the audio is broken. The PS4 Ratchet and Clank might not be great but it’s also a lot better than anything they’d done in years and they had Spider-Man come out too. Tools of Destruction was pretty good but it’s also a big step down from the PS2 games.

nomither6

@nessisonett can’t argue with that . i guess i should tell you now that i’ve never even played a crack in time 😂 & i do remember having issues with the collection as well. i still need to finish it one of these days.

nomither6

nessisonett

@nomither6 A lot of people love ACiT but I’d argue that it’s possibly because they haven’t played it recently or immediately beside the original trilogy to compare them. PS2 games really do hold up a lot of the time, they’re mostly 60FPS and have immediate gameplay that isn’t broken up with a million cutscenes or feel like they’re on rails with ‘cinematic set pieces’

LtSarge

One thing I love about the Dead Space remake is that they give you all the weapons for free compared to the original where you had to buy them. Why would I want to spend a scarce resource on something that I might not even like? At least this way, I get to try all of them out and see which ones I like. I remember playing through the entirety of the original with only the Plasma Cutter due to this. Now I've discovered new favourites, such as the Line Gun and Contact Beam. The former is basically a more powerful Plasma Cutter and the latter just eviscerates everything. Very awesome weapons.

LtSarge

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger Sonic Generations is done, and with that, the PS3 games, spin-offs aside. Which means that the single native PC release on my list, Sonic Lost World is up next, followed by the twin story of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces.

Okay, so it seemed like it took a while to beat Sonic Generations, given it's a relatively short game, but IRL did get in the way. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! So so disappointed they didn't have Sonic voiced when Tails and Robotnik were. With their regular voice actors no less. Would've been cooler if they'd brought back some classic voice actors. Jaleel White as Classic Sonic would've been a slam dunk! Better sales than GTA6. GET ON IT SEGA!

Enjoyable game, and you can tell with each iteration of the PS3 series, the controls were just tightening up that extra little bit each time. Not sure any 3D Sonic game is going to be perfect controls, unless they find that magic formula. But Unleashed did things differently to 06, which did things differently to Shadow, and so on. Sonic Team never really seemed to keep to a consistent feel with the controls. But that's really just nit-picking. Game was solid, and the plot was solid enough for something about the good guys being stuck in the 4th dimension (time travel shenanigans are always terrible to write).

Lore wise, I don't think it makes any real difference one way or another. I haven't quite reached that part of the Archie comics, but I can't imagine there'll be too much difference between adapting it and any of the other ridiculous stories that have come out of the universe. I believe the Sinister Six from the next game make for recurring villains in comics. But enough about Spider-Man, the Deadly Six do as well! 😁

BeerIsAwesome

XandertheWise

currently busy with two games Im playing for my Nintendo Switch Lite

Mortal Kombat 12/1
Super Mario RPG remake

been level grinding a few characters and Kameos like crazy since late last night and all day today earlier. Cleared the Cage mansion earlier today and been grinding like crazy in Nitara's world. Ive been having fun learning Scorpion's attacks and little bit of Rain even though he has staff attacks that remind of Jade in Mortal Kombat 11

XandertheWise

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome Sorry for being so rubbish at keeping current with your Sonic marathon. I'm real grateful for the continued updates, as they're always interesting! Am curious to see whether you've started Lost World on PC yet, and gauge your reaction to its, er... "charms".

You're not alone in wishing Jaleel White voiced Classic Sonic in Generations. I'd also agree about the incremental control refinements made to each game from that era. I personally reckon Forces is the tightest they ever got that formula feeling. As great as all the Frontiers tweaks are, they only really make sense for the open maps, and don't translate perfectly to Cyber Space. Whenever I want to enjoy some linear point-to-point sensory overloads, I therefore find myself going back to Forces more often than not. Here's hoping Frontiers 2 manages to strike a better balance. Sixth time's the charm!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger No worries. I have been playing Sonic Lost World, and it's a surprisingly longer game than expected. It's, uh, unique? But also not a bad game. The targeting system seems like a step back from previous entries, but once you get used to it, it's fine. Sonic also seems to be a little bit slower than in previous games, perhaps just because of how this game works. I'm enjoying it, but it's probably sitting below a few games at this point, and above a lot more.

Further to Jaleel White's Sonic, I think it's funny that when Japanese canon took over, and Mobius, Sally and eyes that are only pupils all got excised from the franchise, the one thing that still stuck around was Sonic's love of chillidogs, and that's arguably the biggest thing people remember from AoStH, Pingas memes aside.

I like Forces more than most people are willing to admit. I can point out the odd few tweaks here and there that I'd give it, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely above Lost World, for what it's worth. And it's also a very clean flipside to the story of Mania. I'll have to get back to you when I've properly played Frontiers, The Murder, and Superstars to give an honest opinion on where the controls are at. I've played a modest amount of those three, but I'm going to "properly" play them when I get to them. Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces and (it is canon) Team Sonic Racing stand in my way first. The latter is more fun than the reviews say it is.

BeerIsAwesome

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome That's a kind way of saying that Lost World drags, isn't it? Because I remember feeling similar about it in certain parts, at least compared to other Sonic games from that era. I also hate that targeting system and those homing attack chains; found them to be needlessly confusing.

Back when I ran in Sonic fan circles, I knew a handful of purists who hated the fact that Sonic's love of chilidogs survived the unification. It's funny what folks'll focus on!

People tend to forget that Forces and Team Sonic Racing were budget games, released for thirty-five bucks at a time when sticker prices were creeping higher and higher. In that context, Forces was (and is) a polished and entertaining triumph. It's got a killer soundtrack, too. If my schedule was more predictable, I'd suggest hopping on PSN and chatting alongside a few races from Team Sonic Racing sometime. Not sure if that's your thing or not but, when you get around to the game, feel free to send me a PSN message. With any luck, I might be able to find an evening.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger That's one way of looking at it. And tbh probably fairly accurate as well. I can say it's a good-looking game though. Feels a lot more vibrant than a few previous entries in the series. For some strange reason, I have to play it using headphones plugged into my DualSense, because if I use the usual sound output, it doesn't have voices. Every other sound, but not voices. Something to do with the surround sound according to Google. God bless PC gaming!

I guess liking chillidogs is a personality thing. Or rather, it makes Sonic less like "Generic Protagonist #452" and more "human" for lack of a better word. It's perhaps a bit more than I can articulate, but a lot of people grew up with Sonic and see some of themselves in him. So perhaps the argument over whether he should still eat chillidogs is really just people projecting themselves onto him.

It's funny, you can buy an entire Sonic game that isn't exactly short of content for $35 (or £25 over here in the UK) and put a good few weeks into it, or you can buy map packs for multiplayer games for £20, and usually only like three or four maps. And those usually don't contain music or anything actually fun.

I wouldn't mind that, though I'll probably forget, since I probably won't get to the game until the other side of Christmas at the rate I've been playing the more recent ones at. It doesn't sound like a terrible idea...until you see how badly I play online. It's like my gaming talent level just goes off a cliff! But I'd have fun regardless.

BeerIsAwesome

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome I'd never really seen Sonic as a faceless self-insert protagonist before, but then I was reading the UK comics and watching the cartoons alongside playing his classic games, so I guess I couldn't escape his personality across the whole brand. It's a good point, though. Aside from his idle foot-tapping animation and a few paragraphs in each game's manual (if you even bothered to read it) you're right, Sonic on the MegaDrive / Genesis was just another anthropomorphic mascot, so I can see how it could happen. Reminds me about the people who swear Tails was originally a girl; when taken at face value in the games themselves, his floppy fringe and an assumption of gender balance apparently misled more than a few folks!

Well, as and when, and with no pressure, let me know. Hopefully I'll still be passing through and reading about your progress, so I'll remind you if my own circumstances haven't changed.

Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger Ah, Fleetway Sonic, aka the sociopathic bully Sonic. I think a big part of it is the age group he came from. The 90s kids (my generation) are the ones who got into gaming when it was just starting to be an advanced form of entertainment. So he came along at the perfect time for the generation that started getting into games properly, and thus we grew up with him. That's probably why you have a lot of Sonic OCs and fangames and the stuff we don't talk about, because these people find some level of identification within him.

I'll be honest, these days Tails is probably the one done dirty by the franchise at this point. His personality has changed over a few games, and they've also gone back on a few things (like how he was a brave young boy in one game, and then "save me Sonic!" in the next). Though I think the franchise is becoming a bit more consistent now. God bless Ian Flynn!

Will do!

BeerIsAwesome

nessisonett

Sat my younger brother in front of Ridge Racer Type 4 last night and was glad that he got so into it that his eyes were watering from lack of blinking. Genuinely that happens to me too, I think it’s a combination of the low poly graphics and the focus you need to not make errors. He’s a bizarre eclectic gamer who spends most of the time on the PS5 playing Crusader Kings 3, Hitman or Battlefield so I’m glad I’ve managed to tear him away to try something new. Probably a testament to how incredible that game is and how well it stands the test of time. Insane that it has visual artefacts on PS5 though, not that hard to emulate PS1 these days!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic