Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 1,988

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger I am somewhere near the front of the queue for the preorders of Sonic Origins physical. More for the posterity of having a physical version on a newer format than depending on Sony's servers. I don't dislike Origins' 3 and & Knuckles music, but I always preferred the Sonic 3 invincibility music over & Knuckles. But the logic behind it all is sound. I don't know who ultimately owns Michael Jackson's music, be it his family or Sony Music, but until that is solved (or even if it is), Sega isn't touching it with a ten-foot barge pole.

Spinball for the Mega Drive is passable at best, but it's a work of art when you put it next to the Game Gear/Master System version. The physics in that game are basically nonexistent! Sonic 3D is fun in that it was novel at the time, but it's aged worse than similarly-aged Mario games.

I'll try to keep you updated, but I'll probably forget. Nothing personal, I'm just not very diligent in that regard.

BeerIsAwesome

nessisonett

NBA 2K2 on the Dreamcast is one of the best sports games I’ve played. Insanely smooth, great looking graphics and it just works.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome I must admit, I wasn't gonna get the Origins physical release, but then I saw those region-specific reversible covers and respected the attention to nostalgic detail so much! Will probably wait until it's in a sale, though. I never got the Mania physical release, but then I didn't love Mania anyway, so it kinda made sense to skip. Hope your Origins copy arrives safe, at any rate!

And yeah, whilst the original music is preferable to the replacement tracks, I have absolutely no issue with the removal of anything related to Michael Jackson. It's just a shame that it's a cost hurdle for SEGA and not a moral one, but I guess corporations are gonna be corporate.

Oh, no worries! We've all got lives to be living, right? Less time typing means more time gaming!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger I'm the sad so-and-so who is planning to get today's Qwertee because it has Sonic on it. I need help! 😭 The Mania covers were reversible, but that's a moot point given it's not your thing. They were more like the Sonic 3 box art, while Origins is more like the Sonic 1 box art.

Heh, ironically, I've actually been doing very little gaming this week. I've been watching Games Done Quick, so really all I've been doing is my Genshin dailies and ley lines. Normal service will resume come Sunday. I'm actually considering swapping out Sonic 06 for the fan-remastered Sonic P-06. Everything's still there, but having gone through all the game's files, they found stuff the developers had intended to put in the game, so basically I'd be playing the intended game instead of the rushed actual release.

Edited on by BeerIsAwesome

BeerIsAwesome

LtSarge

Started up the infamous Redfall today on Series X. I actually had a great time playing the game! I played it for about 2.5 hours and it was a lot of fun. I did notice some issues, such as some enemies not shooting at me at all time and my ammo capacity for my assault rifle wasn't showing the right number for some reason. The game did crash on me once as well. But other than that, I enjoyed playing the game a lot. I mean, I've heard that the AI was very stupid in this game but I don't agree with that at all. I died plenty of times during my session because of how aggressive the AI is. The devs have probably ironed out a lot of issues since launch, so I'm glad that I waited to play this game.

I am though very disappointed that the game has uneven achievement scores that don't end with a 0 or 5. Some achievements are 17 G, which really bugs me. I thought developers stopped doing this when the Xbox One era started, but apparently not.

LtSarge

RR529

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (PS5) - Think I'm getting close to the end now. I'm on the moon getting ready to confront Rayvis, and just obtained the upgrade that lets you grapple between balloons.

I have every world's completion rate somewhere in the 80-90% range (it's so good to have Koboh at almost 90% since it's sooo huge), though I know there'll probably be at least one more world to go to. I currently have a maximum of 10 health stims, and all those Force crystal upgrade things are only giving me EXP anymore, so I'm pretty positive I've maxed out my total health & Force meter.

Blue Reflection (Steam) - Just recently beat the second boss. Not quite sure what to think of it yet. It reminds me a lot of the recent Sakura Wars reboot in that most of your time is spent running around hanging out with the cast in order to boost affinity, before getting to the brief "gamey" section of the chapter (in this case, light turn based RPG segments with a "magical girl" motif).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger So after the fun of watching GDQ, and then grinding out the platinum for Grid Legends (#98), interspersed with doing the Genshin dailies, I'm back on the Sonic games. So I've done everything from the Gems/Mega Collection, plus Spinball and 3D from the Mega Drive Collection on the PS4, which means I'm on to the final game featuring classic characters, and that's Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X, which is not especially remarkable, given it's low difficulty level. After finish this off tomorrow, it's time to enter the 3D era, which means Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, still considered the best of the 3D Sonic games.

BeerIsAwesome

N1ghtW1ng

So I've recently thought about switching from being almost an exclusively console player (PS1 - PS4, including the PSP and the PS Vita) to gaming on PC.

Due to a lot of factors that I won't get into here, I'm currently stuck with my generic laptop that I use for University. It's a decent machine, but it's no gaming powerhouse (it can't even run Stardew Valley)

I recently discovered my laptop could run Fallout New Vegas after I claimed it as one of the free games offered by the Epic Game Store last month (I also managed to snag Death Stranding and Horizon Chase Turbo).

I haven't had a ton of time to play, but I've been enjoying Fallout New Vegas. I remember playing it over a decade ago on the PS3, and it wasn't a great experience at all. The egregiously poor performance issues on the PS3 version really marred my experience of the game back then.

I think also being a bit burnt out on the Fallout series at that time probably contributed to the poor experience I had with FNV. I had played Fallout 3 extensively on the PS3 prior to starting FNV, and by then, I think I needed a break from the series.

I'm playing the Ultimate Edition, and I seriously can't believe how smooth the gameplay is compared to what I remember back on the PS3.

Also, having an SSD on the PS5 must be amazing, as my laptop has an SSD and the loading screens go by in literally 3 seconds or less. I don't even have time to read some of the flavour text that accompanies each loading screen.

The graphics aren't great to be honest, but the gameplay, setting and writing is excellent, so I just forget about the outdated graphics. It's a pity that mods are either difficult to use or non-existent on the Epic Game Store, as I would love to replace the default Breaking Bad Mexico filter that's present in the base game.

Edited on by N1ghtW1ng

Performance > Resolution
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

PSN: Ra33z_19

nessisonett

@BeerIsAwesome Wow, snap. Been playing through Origins and contemplating whether to seek out 3D Blast and Chaotix through one of those collections for posterity.

BeerIsAwesome

@nessisonett The Sega Mega Drive Collection on the PS4 has a rewind and fast forward function, as well as quick saves, which made my Sonic 3D run a lot quicker just by allowing me to fast forward the boss cycles. There's a lot of dead time in this game. 😅

Knuckles' Chaotix is a special case, in more than one sense of the word. It's never been rereleased, so you'd need to emulate it. It's an interesting game, if not necessarily a spectacular game.

BeerIsAwesome

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome Thanks for the update; sounds like you had a productive break from Sonic. At least Knuckles' Chaotix shouldn't keep you from the Adventure games for too long. Even if it ends up being unremarkable, I'd still love to see a re-release someday, if only to please my inner completionist (not to mention that I'm a big Knux fan anyway). What version of Adventure will you be playing? The OG Dreamcast release, DX on GameCube, the official PS360 remaster, or a modded PC port?

@nessisonett I'd recommend the Steam version of Sonic 3D. Even though you access it through the SEGA MegaDrive Classics interface, it's the cheapest way of getting it as a standalone game.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger I wouldn't say unremarkable as such, but it's not going to knock the original quadrilogy of games off their perch of being the best games in the entire franchise. It's worth playing for the various things it brings to the table - a second character you quasi-control, a more labyrinthine level design, the leaving it to chance which level and secondary character you play next, and of course the tethered playstyle which is why most people want to play it.

I have two versions of Sonic Adventure, the DX version on the PC from before the PS3 and 360 were even a thing, which comes with all the Game Gear games (not Master System, which'll upset a few people in these parts), and I have the PS3 version for the PlayStation Home freebies, though that was on an old PSN account. I haven't re-earned the trophies yet, so I think I'll probably do that version.

The version of Sonic 3D on Steam is the Mega Drive version. That one is considered the best between it, the Saturn version and the old PC version. Realistically the Saturn version has better graphics and better special stages, but that's about it. The PC version is basically the Saturn version with yet another version of special stages. Just for posterity @nessisonett

BeerIsAwesome

nessisonett

@BeerIsAwesome Once I finish 3 and Knuckles, I’ll have a look at what’s the best option. I could always play the missing ones on Switch through RetroArch I guess. Modern ports might tempt me with their QOL features!

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome I've got a vague memory of trying Knuckles' Chaotix before, albeit briefly, but I needed a lot more time to form an actual opinion. I think I found the rubber-band mechanic confusing. When it comes to the older games, it's the playable characters, soundtrack and overall aesthetic that does most of the heavy lifting for me, so getting to see Knux and the Chaotix Crew is enough of a draw.

Ah, cool. The PSN version isn't bad, all things considered. I played it late last year and really enjoyed the whole experience, although it probably helped that I came fresh from Frontiers and was therefore in a really strong Sonic mood. Hope you have a similarly good time!

Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@nessisonett Sounds good to me! If you're not looking to do a marathon of the entire franchise like I am, you'll be interested to know that once/if you play 3D and Chaotix, there is only one game left in the classic Sonic canon, and that's Mania. Sega have long since declared classic and modern Sonic separate universes. I guess that'll be two when Superstars releases. 🙃

@RogerRoger I've been playing it for the last couple days, and I'm just about getting my head around the mechanic. Knuckles is generally recommended for the game anyway, but I've been stopping and starting the game with each of the characters to get a feel for them.

I think the PSN/XBL versions of Adventure are the definitive versions of the game by virtue of having content not in the originals, such as Metal Sonic. Will do!

BeerIsAwesome

Pizzamorg

Not been around much because for the last few weeks I've been grinding out Diablo 4. Honestly really burnt myself out on it, and appreciate FF16's arrival to give me a break.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger With the beating of Knuckles Chaotix, that's a wrap on Classic Sonic games, until Sonic Mania, which I will be playing at around the time I play Sonic Forces. My next game will actually be Sonic Origins, which is coming in the post tomorrow. Entirely curious to see how Lady Sonic plays before moving on to Adventure.

Knuckles Chaotix is an interesting game. It's also decidedly rather easy, since there are basically no traps in the game, the badniks are fairly sparse, and you can just throw the second character at the bad guys anyway. I definitely enjoyed it, and I'd say it's also definitely a looker.

BeerIsAwesome

SJR

Tokyo Bus Guide on Dreamcast!!!

SJR

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome Nice work! Am glad that Knuckles' Chaotix turned out as well as it did. As bizarre as the 32X was (and still is) I always kinda liked the idea of it, and regretted not being able to play what arguably ended up being its most important game. Hope you enjoy Origins and beyond!

Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger I won't be sticking around on Sonic Origins (or at least not until I get around to playing it casually rather than as a part of this). Knuckles Chaotix is not a bad game per se, but if you just put regular Sonic and Tails gameplay into the game, it would be mostly unremarkable in the context of the original quadrilogy of games. Interestingly, if you ever own a 32X, there's only 40 games for it, so if you ever became a completionist, you could get every game for it and it wouldn't take up an obnoxious amount of space!

I am looking forward to dying a lot in the 3D games. And then dying some more. If there's a death plane in a 3D Sonic game, I've probably hit it. 😭

BeerIsAwesome

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic