Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 521 to 540 of 1,585

KALofKRYPTON

Metal Gear Solid PS1 fans.

Right - 'fess-up time.

I barely played this game, to the point where I may as well say that I never played it. It just wasn't at all my jam in my youth so I borrowed it from a mate briefly and gave it back very quickly as it wasn't Time Crisis/Rival Schools/Ridge Racer/Loaded etc etc...

On looking at starting up grabbing Vita physicals again, the HD collection of MGS 2/3 has often been a bit of a curio for me - after shunning MGS, I basically avoided the whole series (apart from a very brief ownership of MGS 4) so will probably pick that up since the games are so highly regarded.

So I was thinking as my birthday is coming up and I'll have the inevitable stack of PSN credit, I'll be buying R-Type Dimensions (again), possibly the AC7 Season Pass and I'm toying with the idea of Metal Gear Solid (PS1).

Is it still worth playing?

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Thrillho

@KALofKRYPTON The answer to that question will always be yes

MGS1 has the advantage that the main story can be blitzed though in 8 hours I reckon (probably less too) so doesn’t have chance to get bogged down in too much ridiculousness that the series became known for. It’s also designed for being played through at least twice with two separate endings available.

I’ve not played it in years but think the gameplay would still hold up well. The lack of tranquilising weapons, that became available in later games, also means a non-lethal play through is pure stealth rather than still allowing you to take enemies out.

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@Thrillho 8 hours sounds right up my street!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Thrillho

@KALofKRYPTON howlongtobeat.com says 11hrs on average but that’s still not long by today’s standards..

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke Very nice.

Did you ever pick up one of the Fix it Felix Jr carts? I always planned on grabbing Sonic Classic Heroes but got waylaid investigating eproms trying to figure out if I could get it on to cart with memory back up instead.

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke SCH is easily the best Sonic hack I've played. Really nicely done.

KALofKRYPTON

@MadAussieBloke XenoCrisis looks sweet!

Rudy_Manchego

So I had a day away from the kids and took a drive to a retro games fair. I had been saving up for a while.

Ended up continuing my GameCube obsession with a modded GC that has an output HDMI as well as gameboy advance player and is also region free. Then I got Zelda Twilight Princess, Timesplitters 2, Rogue Squadron 2, Resident Evil 0 on GC and lastly Super Mario land 2 and Metroid 2 for gameboy.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the HDMI out.

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON So far it looks good. I have an old flatscreen 19 tv which isn’t the greatest but looks miles better. It is using freeware solution so you can play with the settings. Wind Waker is very much brighter. Makes me want a better tv to see how the settings work.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

Nabbed A Hat in Time and Cuphead in the recent Steam sale. They weren't as deeply discounted as some games on my wishlist, but I realized they were the ones I wanted to play the most. I thought about holding off on AHiT because of the upcoming Switch version when I realized I could just put the money I saved toward something else for that system, like a bunch of the exclusive games coming out for it this year that I want to play. Or Wargroove. Maybe Dragon's Dogma: that was actually on sale as well for quite cheap, but I fundamentally prefer RPGs on handheld, so it makes sense to hold off for the Switch version of that one.

I came very close to pulling the trigger on The Witcher 3, but I figured that if I got the urge to play the series I'd just start with the earlier games instead. That urge hasn't happened yet, and, in that light, it makes no sense to purchase the third game. I might start with the second one, though, which I hear is much nicer to play than the clunky original.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

Went ahead and bought Metal Gear Solid (PS1) from the store to go through on the Vita

Tasuki

@Ralizah The Witcher 2's controls are just as clunky, unless of course you play it on PC. I have heard that playing the first 2 isn't required for the third one.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Thrillho

@Ralizah I only played TW3 and it didn’t affect me too much. There’s a little bit near the beginning where a scribe asks you to make some minor backstory decisions.

I didn’t even read much on the story for the previous games and it’s still one of my favourite games of all time.

Thrillho

Ralizah

@Tasuki I'm playing on PC. I'd heard the second game was a massive improvement all-around.

@Thrillho I've heard mixed things on that front, with some fans saying certain scenes and references don't make too much sense without playing the previous games.

Anyway, Witcher 2 seems like it'll be a decent 'test' to see if I can enjoy the third one. In particular, if I can stomach the combat and gameplay in the second entry, then it probably won't be an issue for me when I get around to Wild Hunt.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah All three of the Witcher games are very different from each other in pretty much every aspect. So I wouldn't say '2 is like 3'. Personally I'd even argue 3 is most different from them al. I've played all three of the games, but only managed to finish the third one. The other two just... failed to keep me engaged. Most of that is due to the clunky gameplay.

Now I'm not saying The Witcher 3 is perfect in that department, but it's a lot better, and it has more variety and coherent story to make up for it.

After The Witcher 3, which I enjoyed immensely, I said to myself to play these earlier games again, so I could finally finish them. But... I just can't. So, yea, I'm also going to recommend you to just play the third one.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Yeah I would probs just jump straight in to the third Witcher game, it improves on almost everything from the second game. 2 will probs feel a bit janky to play these days. 3 does a really good job of filling you in on any story beats you missed from the 2nd game.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON The first time I ever played Metal Gear Solid (PSone) was on my PSP as a digital download. It makes for a surprisingly-decent handheld experience, so enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Well that's good news!

I've downloaded it, but not started it yet.

On a slight side note - I put the original Racer Revenge in the PS2 yesterday as curiosity got the better of me. My PAL PS2 is still hooked up to the 'Time Crisis TV' (so named for obvious reasons :-0 ) - so left it as an 'authentic' experience... Suffice to say, time has not been kind to that game on original hardware! I tend to keep a fairly good check on the haze of nostalgia where games are concerned, not least because I tend to keep hold of some stuff - but wow, the resolution and framerate bump of the PS4 'PS2 Classic' version is actually pretty significant. I'd played Jedi Starfighter again much closer to picking up the 'PS2 Classic' version, but the gulf didn't seem quite that big - though that was through the benefit of a component output.

So yeah, I'd highly recommend getting Racer Revenge for PS4 if you think you can get any more mileage (BOOM BOOM!) out of it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic