Forums

Topic: Official Push Square Xbox Thread

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,436

BAMozzy

@Bentleyma I believe Nintendo own the IP and Rare own the Assets/code - so unless they came to some mutually beneficial solution to 'BOTH', the game would be stuck in Limbo hell.

Nintendo are using the 'Original' N64 game code/assets and using their 'online' system to bring online to the game - as Switch Lite for example isn't really designed for Split Screen co-op. No disrespect to Switch, but its not a 'high' res console and running '4' instances of the MP - albeit at 'quarter' resolution, maybe too much for the Switch and definitely not 'ideal' to play on its built in tiny screen. It perhaps makes more sense for Nintendo to switch to Online MP.

Rare/MS are using an 'updated' version and keeping to the 'Original' couch co-op MP suite the game was designed to offer keeping that authentic Goldeneye 'couch co-op' MP experience that made it so popular back in the day and Xbox certainly has the 'horsepower' to run up to 4 instances of the MP simultaneously in high res on Large 4k TV's at a decent frame rate. It doesn't 'need' to add Online to something that never had Online.

Nintendo can now offer the 'Original' Goldeneye made by Rare with a 'new' way to play the MP, Rare offer the Original Goldeneye 'experience', inc the authentic couch co-op, but with a 'new' make-over. Nintendo are offering 'Goldeneye N64', and MS are offering 'Goldeneye Remastered' and 'neither' can 'sell' to make money off the other's owned licenses. If Nintendo sold Goldeneye, they'd owe Rare money for their code/assets and if MS sold it, they'd owe Nintendo for using their IP - so both (I believe) are ONLY available on their Sub service - as well as through purchasing Rare Replay as that isn't 'selling' Goldeneye specifically but a collection of Rare made games.

It was a case of negotiating a way to bring Goldeneye back without 'screwing' over the other and 'profiting' directly from anothers License. If you 'sub' to Nintendo or Xbox services, you are subbing to access a 'collection' of games, you are not 'buying' a license for 'Goldeneye/Goldeneye: Remastered' and therefore some money has to go to License holders etc - same as those who play through Rare Replay as you buy a 'Rare Replay' License, not a Goldeneye specific license.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

LN78

@BAMozzy So I'm right in saying this isn't the XBLA version that got leaked online a while back?

LN78

carlos82

@LN78 sadly its not that version, it just looks to be an emulated version of the N64 game

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

BAMozzy

@LN78 As far as I know, NO its not the XBLA one that was at one time planned - that had 'online' MP support too. I don't know what they are using - just that it supports 'modern' control schemes, 4k, 16:9 support etc and obviously no online support.

I don't know that I'll bother playing anyway. I am thinking it maybe better to keep my Rose tinted memories intact of the countless hours I spent playing MP with friends/family - often until stupid o'clock in the morning, beating 'every' mission on 00 agent to unlock 'every' cheat/bonus/extra etc, instead of being 'disappointed' as it hasn't aged well. The amount of hours I spent playing Jet Pac, Knightlore, Sabrewulf etc, even games like Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark etc but when I bought Rare Replay, it wasn't a pleasant 'nostalgic' trip back so maybe better to keep the memories intact.

Its great that 'old' games are still playable on modern Hardware, preserved for new generations interested in the 'history' who missed out first time around, but I lived through it all and experienced them when they were 'fresh', cutting edge and nothing else like it around, being 'blown away' by how every character was recognisable as the 'actors' face but now looks terrible because graphics have moved on a LOT.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

LN78

@BAMozzy I love retro games but playing "GoldenEye" on original hardware is not a pleasant experience. I'm all in on the QoL improvements alone. Anything to get away from the N64 controller, honestly!

LN78

carlos82

@BAMozzy no its definitely not the XBLA version as it looks nothing like this (below). Looking at the trailer it seems to be the N64 game emulated with some plugins for widescreen etc. The telltale signs are the hud text which is very low resolution, you can see the character LOD models when further from the camera and there's been no mention of 60fps from what I've seen.
UntitledUntitled

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

LN78

@carlos82 If it doesn't run at 4K/60FPS then I'm going to be writing some very firmly worded letters.

LN78

BAMozzy

@LN78 At the time, I had no issues with the N64 Trident and actually had more issues with my DS1 in terms of Comfort, but my 'Golden' N64 Goldeneye Controller was my 'number 1' controller for that era.

The last time I played N64 though must of been around 2005-ish as I had given it to my 'youngest' to play (he beat Mario 64 at around 3yrs old) and played a couple of MP matches on Goldeneye but even that has 'positive' memories because it was 'fun' times with my kids.

Now, my youngest is gaming on PC's, has his own place too and being over 50 now, not so interested in 'couch competitive MP' or tarnishing the memories, most of which are 'better' due to the company, the era etc more so than the game itself which was the catalyst that brought people together to build great memories.

@carlos82 As I said, I don't know for definite what version they are 'releasing' but I do know it isn't the XBLA version that leaked. Difficult to always tell from a trailer as you don't know how it was captured and/or what compression may be used for example. No trailer on my laptop ever looks as 'good' as playing Natively on Series X/PS5 on my 4k HDR TV - especially if the video is only 'HD' Youtube Quality!

Whether it 'looks' better/worse than the 'leaked' XBLA version is almost redundant as we won't get to play the XBLA version, just like we didn't get the 'visuals' promised by Watchdogs, or the 'Puddle' quality in Spider-Man in that one area - things can and do change. Its still up to you to decide whether you still want to play the 'versions' you can and if so, which platform you want to play on - if you have a Choice..

SoulChimera

Just played up to St.Petersburg on Goldeneye. Seems weird playing it on an Xbox. Haha.

SoulChimera

Lavalera

Hi-Fi Rush is sooooo addicting and such a brilliant gem. It feels like a mix between Devil May Cry and a Rhytm game and all in a cool cartoony art style. You don't even have to be good at it to play the game. The attacks will always land on the Rhytm you just get bonus points. I would higly suggest trying it if you guys have gamepass.

PSNid: Lavalera

LN78

@SoulChimera My "Rare Replay" hasn't updated and there's no sign of "GoldenEye". Very disappointing.
EDIT: You have to install it via the storefront - it isn't an automatic patch. Sorted.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

carlos82

As suspected and confirmed by the developer, Goldeneye is the N64 rom emulated using RARE Replays existing N64 emulator.

I had a quick go this morning and by an large its pretty good, it does have some minor slowdown here and there and is 30fps, plus the very low resolution text is a disappointment. Oh and weirdly it reminds me of a PS1 game as the environment kind of wobbles.

On the plus side the controls have been adapted well, much better than the Switch version and by default the aiming locks in the centre of the screen if you like that

LN78

@carlos82 I only had time (once I figured out where it was - see above) to play "Dam" and "Facility" this morning but I was happy enough. The framerate isn't ideal (even if it is a massive improvement over the juddering 15 FPS that my N64 is kicking out) but seeing the game razor sharp on my big OLED, hearing it through my surround sound system and playing it with a modern control scheme on a controller that actually makes sense to me was a massive kick. I'll be ripping in to it with the vigour this weekend.

LN78

carlos82

@LN78 yeah its certainly better then playing it on an N64 game these days and by and large does look nice and they did a great job with the controls on this version, though I'll probably turn the sensitivity up a little up.

Overall its great that modern audiences are getting to play it and us older folk have a convenient way of doing so again

LN78

Removed - inappropriate language

LN78

Tasuki

Played a bit of GoldenEye on my Series X and I have to say this game looking back is frustrating as hell. I understand that this game is a pioneer in console FPS, and I did play it back in the day but after playing modern FPS games the past few years Borderlands, CoD, Halo, Doom age hasn't been kind to this game. The first level alone has some annoying points. The fact that visibility is so bad in the distance yet enemies can see you and start shooting you as clear as day from the same distance. Then as I am sneaking around taking out guards, one of them hits an alarm in the distance alerting the whole camp to my location. Don't get me wrong I understand game design was what it was back then.

However the Multiplayer is still a blast. Played it for several hours with my son and we were just having fun I can't wait till I have the guys over for some GoldenEye madness.

I also like how the controls feel with the Xbox controller now, more along the lines of modern FPS games, that was one main reason I couldn't get back into it on the N64 that single stick controller just felt wrong with a FPS but again I realized that's what they had at the time.

Overall though I am enjoying my time with it, I just hope they fix the achievements.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

LN78

Errrm. What "inappropriate language" did I use precisely?

LN78

jdv95

@Lavalera alright you convinced me.

Attacks landing outside the rythm has sold me. Will make it more playable at my own pace.

jdv95

nessisonett

Desperately wish I had Hi-Fi Rush, looks brilliant. Dare I say it… Xbox has games? While their ecosystem is still more open than Playstation and their output is also on PC, I can totally see the appeal of the Series X. If Starfield sticks the landing then even ignoring ActiBlizz, they seem to be back on track. It’s genuinely impressive how much of an impression Hi-Fi Rush seems to have made on the community given it released the same day it was announced and had both Forspoken and Dead Space in its vicinity.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic