Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 6,781 to 6,800 of 7,480

Pizzamorg

Haruki_NLI wrote:

@Pizzamorg They do have a back catalog subscription service, but much like with Xbox, which ended it's catalog last year, there is a finite number of games that are possible to bring over.
As for the PS5s back catalog....err...you CAN play PS2 games on your PS5 but it seems like they'll never add any more now.

Yeah using the PS2 probably distracted from the real message of my post. What I meant is if you buy the mid tier of PS Plus and grab a PS5, you can play pretty much all of the biggest first party titles that came out during the last generation as part of your subscription. This is an amazing deal for people new to the Sony ecosystem, no equivalent exists on the Switch.

You are right, it does become sketchier when you go further back, but the point still stands. And then Gamepass on the Xbox is a whole other ball game of preservation goodness.

There is absolutely no equivalent on the Switch at all, unless you mean like the Nintendo classic stuff like NES and SNES games? Cause that is a little further back than I wanted to go lol

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Haruki_NLI

@Pizzamorg But the NES, SNES and N64 are part of their classic library. It's just their library goes back far further than the other two.

And yeah Xbox has its own goodness, most of which in back compat isn't on Game pass (woo!) But as I said, the last update for that was last year because as they said, licensing eventually rules the rest out.

As for PS5, you've got all of the PS4 (Unless you're me and went digital for the PS5 whoops), some PS3 via streaming even though their being added piecemeal after being removed before the sub rebrand (I'm not sure how this isn't a bigger talking point than it is honestly), a few PSP, a decent selection of PS1....and yeah after what happened with their PS2 emulator that ain't coming back.

On the one hand I can understand the desire for GameCube and above on Switch, especially as the second hand market went nuts, but there's also a part of me that thinks it makes sense to remake those games rather than just rerelease. They hold up very well, but as we know they are also far larger so that NSO app would balloon quite fast.

But as is the case with the N64 library, most of the stuff is licensed. And that's a hurdle.

But if they can get Goldeneye out of 4 or 5 different license holders, I suppose anything can be done.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

LtSarge

Played some Goldeneye online multiplayer yesterday for the first time with a couple of friends who had never played it before either. It was an absolute blast! I loved the customisation options and choosing different weapon types each time. The focus is simply on pure fun, which is something that I feel like is missing in a lot of games in general these days. Too much focus on everything else but fun.

We managed to change the controls so they felt like a modern FPS experience and once we did that, it felt fantastic to play. The game absolutely holds up well today and I fully understand now why it's such a beloved game. Can't wait to give the campaign a go as well, either on Switch or Xbox (haven't decided which version yet).

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge You’re probably better playing multiplayer on Switch and the campaign on Xbox!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Yeah, that does seem like the best approach, doesn't it? I've heard about some issues with the Xbox version, so I think I'll wait a while for the campaign. But yeah, the multiplayer is absolutely superb on the Switch.

LtSarge

Ralizah

Intelligent Systems really nailed the gameplay, map design, and difficulty balancing in Fire Emblem Engage. The presentation is also phenomenal, with a native-looking undocked resolution that also scales well to 1080p and 4k, no pop-in issues like in Three Houses, and an almost perfect framerate.

The story is... fine for what it is. I prefer the more grounded tone and morally grey war stories of Three Houses, Echoes, Path of Radiance, etc., but there are still some fun plot beats in this entry.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Bentleyma

Untitled

Student? That’s a grown ass man!

I don’t have access to my PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series S at the moment, so I’m on my Switch. I never use it in handheld, so I never really appreciate how cool it is that you can play games like Pokémon Scarlet on the go.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

KilloWertz

@Bentleyma Nah, he has the birth certificate to prove that he belongs on the little league baseball team.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Haruki_NLI

@Bentleyma Just wait until you see the elderly students.

It caught me off guard too, then I remembered there are mature students in the real world. School ain't just for kids.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Bentleyma Now imagine playing a decent port of something like NieR Automata in handheld mode!

Since getting my Switch OLED, I almost never play on the TV anymore. Feels like a waste when the built-in display is so vibrant, y'know?

@Haruki_NLI ...while that's true, students are usually a variety of ages in college, whereas 90% of the students you encounter in S/V are either 10 or 60.

The NPC designs are the worst thing about this generation. Half the characters are actively ugly now.

Ralizah

@Bentleyma The game looks horrid out of the box, because it ships with anti-aliasing that makes the entire game look blurry. Thankfully, people complained enough that the developer patched in a PC-like graphics settings menu, which allows you to turn off the AA, increase sharpness, etc., and messing with that makes the game look 100x better. You get some jaggies, sure, but I'll always take that over muddy image quality. And if you're playing handheld (because why would you get the Switch version if you're not playing undocked at least some of the time?), they're not terribly noticeable.

The main game looks alright. It's what I imagine a PS3 port of TW3 would look like. The strong art direction helps it to still look quite good most of the time, barring the occasional insanely bad environmental texture. I was impressed with how it looked, even on my 1080p monitor.

The Blood and Wine DLC was... a little rougher. Still perfectly playable, of course, but, for whatever reason, it just looks worse. Maybe the main game's darker environments hid more of the game's visual imperfections?

Coming off the PC version, the biggest downgrade, for me, was having to play it at 30fps. You do get used to it after an hour or so, but it makes jumping between the Switch and PC versions (which have cross-save support) a bit rough.

While I mostly play exclusives and less demanding titles on my Switch, I do harbor a secret fascination with super-demanding ports. While I have very little interest in Hogwarts Legacy on my PC, for example, I'm dying to see what the game looks like running natively on a Switch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Bentleyma

@Ralizah I’m also interested in demanding ports. I find it pretty impressive that the Switch can even run games like The Witcher 3 or No Man’s Sky. Hogwarts Legacy is definitely going to be an interesting one for sure. I can’t even imagine how many cutbacks they’ve had to make.

Bentleyma

Ralizah

@Bentleyma Sometimes they surprise you. NieR Automata is a game people swore would never run on the hardware, but there's a shocking level of visual parity with the other console releases, and it seems to run at a consistent 30fps. Dragon Quest XI S also did a great job of snipping in the right areas to keep the same feel as the original release.

MB81

I have a question for you guys - does Pokémon Scarlet Violet look like trash for everyone or is it just our Switch?
We bought it for my daughter and I just couldn’t believe how bad it runs. The frame rate is atrocious and there are jagged edges everywhere. Even my non gamer wife commented that it looks like a game from 20 years ago.
Was just playing a bit of Mario Odyssey today and that looks great.

Edited on by MB81

PSN: MajorBriggs81
GT7 account: MajorBriggs81JP

Bentleyma

@MB81 Yeah that’s just how it is. I was playing it the other day and couldn’t help but think it looks worse than Shenmue, a game that was released in 1999.

Bentleyma

nessisonett

Not Nintendo actually giving me a reason to use my Switch!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Weird.

So, Tears of the Kingdom is officially a $69.99 game if bought on its own.

But it's also voucher-eligible. You know, you spend $100, and get two first-party games digitally.

Nintendo really pushing them vouchers!

Anyway, not as good as the September Direct, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the return of Level-5. If the new Fantasy Life and Professor Layton games are good, I'll be a very, very happy customer.

Edited on by Ralizah

KilloWertz

That's pretty bad that a company that rarely has physical games on sale raises the price to $70. Sure, you can get Breath of the Wild for around $40, but that was years after release. It's greedy too, but at least PS5 and Xbox games that are $70 eventually drop in price permanently. Not a random sale and then back to $60 (or now $70). They might as well just have eliminated physical copies given that it's clear they don't want you to buy them.

As for the Direct, at least we finally got Metroid Prime Remastered. I may finally use my Switch again as I've been waiting for this for months. Hopefully we get the rest of them at some point.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Ralizah

@KilloWertz It's a weird situation, although as someone who doesn't like to wait to play games I'm interested in, I'm still pretty happy with the arrangement. Nintendo's first-party titles are going to effectively be $50 at launch going forward with the vouchers. Microsoft, if they ever decide to release new games again, have an even more cost-efficient method for experiencing their games at launch. Sony has nothing similar, and as long as that's true, it's incentivizing me to just wait for the games to sink in price in a year or two. And, at that point, I might as well wait for the price to fully depreciate.

I fully understand why someone who wants to stick with physical copies on Switch would be irritated, though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic