Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,801 to 5,820 of 7,479

RR529

Yeah, the KH games themselves being cloud versions is absolutely asinine (other than maybe III), but I can't help but be ecstatic over Sora in Smash. I've kinda fallen out of love with the KH series as I've gotten older (or maybe just III was meh), but seeing Sora being introduced to the Nintendo world rekindled a childhood fantasy of mine & it brought absolute joy to my face. I thought this was a pretty good pass already with Sephiroth & Pyra/Mythra, but Sora really is the dream come true cherry on top for me.

Fantastic intro video too. At various points I thought we were getting some sort of reworked playable version of Master Hand, a Dark Souls rep, & even Alphen from the recently released Tales of Arise (and honestly, Bandai Namco probably did deserve more than just Pac-Man since they helped work on the game).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@RR529 You’ve basically described my feelings on Kingdom Hearts. Absolutely loved the games growing up but III killed my love of the series. Just didn’t like it at all after waiting so long and getting great spin-offs in the meantime.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Have tried getting into the Kingdom Hearts series for years, but the first game is massively irritating, and I keep bouncing off of it. I promised myself I'd give the series another chance if they ported the games to Switch, but... ah... this doesn't count.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The first game’s dated but decent. The second game is one of the best games ever made.

johncalmc

I actually went insane a couple of years ago and decided I was going to platinum every Kingdom Hearts game back to back despite having never played any of them except the first one back on the PS2.

The first one is rough, but but by the time you get to 2 they're definitely more playable.

My platinum quest died at the one where you play as the three people who aren't Sora btw. I got like half way through the second person's quest, stopped for a bit, and never went back. Still haven't. I own the rest of the games. Wonder if I'll ever go back.

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@johncalmc Ah, so that is the reason behind your insanity. Explains a lot.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

Yeah the first few KH titles are a bit difficult to get into since the first game has rather stiff and challenging combat, while the sequel Chain of Memories is basically a card-battle game. But honestly as a whole, there's nothing else like Kingdom Hearts and there will not be anything similar to Kingdom Hearts ever. This is such a unique series, to be able to visit Disney worlds and meet so many different characters you grew up with as a kid, it's just so magical. And the convoluted story makes the series more interesting for me personally as that means I actually have to put in an effort to keep up with the story, which makes you even more involved in the franchise. It's kinda like Metal Gear Solid in that sense and there are simply not many series that implement such intricate storylines.

The games do get better though, Kingdom Hearts 2 has much more streamlined and smoother combat, and it's easier in general. Birth by Sleep has the best gameplay system of all the games in my opinion, and Dream Drop Distance follows up on that game's system. I haven't played KH3 yet, but I might play it as we get closer to December since any Disney-related media feels fitting to experience during Christmas. Anyway, I feel like this series is worth experiencing if you can get past the first two games. Then you're definitely in for a treat.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Metroid Dread reviews are out and the game is sitting on an 88 on Metacritic as well as Opencritic. It even got a 10/10 on NintendoLife, which granted is rather generous with their scores but it's still awesome to see that this game delivers. I'm actually getting quite excited now to play it on Friday.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@johncalmc I was like yeah I’ll platinum the first game, I haven’t played it in a while. Then I looked at the trophies. No chance.

johncalmc

@nessisonett At least they fixed the difficulty trophies on PS4. On the PS3 version you had to play it on easy, normal, and hard because they didn't stack. On PS4 you could just play on hard and get all 3, or as I did, play on easy and do all the side action, then beat it on hard mainlining the story for the platinum.

Or perhaps the best option - just don't play Kingdom Hearts at all.

johncalmc

Twitter:

nessisonett

@johncalmc The problem isn’t even difficulty, it’s the one where you speedrun the game. I hate trophies like that.

johncalmc

@nessisonett no way I don't even remember doing that. I hate speedruns too so I'm surprised I did that.

I can't even remember what games I've played and what I've done.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Octane

@LtSarge Sounds good. Though with NLife reviews it's usually best to dock a point or two when it comes to Nintendo games. Maybe we need a PushSquare review, and take the average of that

No just kidding. I've pre-ordered the game. I think it's the first Switch game in a while I've bought. The last one was Animal Crossing I think.

Octane

nessisonett

@johncalmc You need to beat the game in 15 hours apparently. The problem is that I wouldn’t want to waste a playthrough of that game doing it as quickly as possible. If I’m going to play it then I 100% it.

johncalmc

@nessisonett I really don't remember doing that. That's crazy. Yeah I wouldn't bother with it. The trophies are a bit annoying. I'm pretty sure that's why I got burned out on Kingdom Hearts when I tried getting the platinum in them all.

johncalmc

Twitter:

R1spam

I've ordered myself some metroid dread as I have a confession to make, I've never played any of the metroid or metroid prime series!. I like the look of the parry system, hope my timing is decent.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

LtSarge

Got Metroid Dread in the mail today and played it for about an hour. So far my impressions are very positive. I like that the game is more cinematic than previous Metroid games. Combat is also very satisfying with the parry mechanic from Samus Returns and just the overall traversal. The whole aspect of being chased around by the robot EMMI is very cool. These sections remind me a lot of the Zero Suit Samus part in Zero Mission where you're being chased all over the place and you can't defeat the enemy. It definitely makes this game feel more like a horror experience, which is refreshing for a 2D Metroid game. However, people with OCD are definitely going to find these parts annoying as they can't take their time to explore every nook and cranny, lol. So basically, be prepared to run away a lot and leave the exploration for later when you've dealt with the robot.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this game and it's so cool to be playing a brand new 2D Metroid game in 2021.

LtSarge

nessisonett

Metroid Dread just played straight off the cart. Nice.

Ralizah

I almost never repurchase games, but I went ahead and dropped another $30 on Tetris Effect on Switch. I'm just not going to play my PS4 version after having finished the campaign. I've only played Tetris 99 on the TV once.

Tetris is a handheld series for me.

@nessisonett Definitely getting physical, then. I really do love when a game just ships out complete. Especially considering Switch is the last bastion of true physical gaming on the market.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic