Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,721 to 5,740 of 7,477

Octane

@LtSarge It's something you'll play for three minutes until you realise that Mario Kart 8 is miles better than 64, and Star Fox has never been good. Then you'll feel sorry for yourself and cry yourself to sleep knowing you've bought a year's worth of the premium online boogaloo.

My advice is free, NSO isn't. I know which one I'd pick.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane N64 games are probably pretty expensive, and can't be played portably. Just buying a couple of the games will likely be the equivalent of years of the higher-tier membership.

Anyway, Star Fox 64 is great. One of the best games on that system.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

... Only thing of interest to me was that deltarune chapter 2 might get put onto PS4 as well soon?

Otherwise... Uhh... Yeaaaah I REALLY don't know why I bothered.

Aside from the Mario movie castlist which was goddamn hilarious. 15/10 stream for that

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

LtSarge

@Octane I agree, Mario Kart 8 is definitely better. I've also been playing it on and off since 2014. It's 2021 and Nintendo still hasn't released a new Mario Kart and I'm genuinely tired of playing MK8. At this point I'd rather play MK64 and even Chocobo Racing and since I'm paying for online anyway, I might as well play these games.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

Main thing that both excites and horrifies me about the Direct. More NSO controllers 😀😭. I have to buy them. I have to sub to buy them. I have to have at least two of each but possibly 4 N64 ones, not sure. They are just so bloody expensive at this point. Bit annoyed I've got retro bit Sega pads knocking about when there is now some weird doubly official Sega-Nintendo controllers available. I might cry with how confusing that is for me. It's one thing for Sonic Adventure 2 to be a launch title on GameCube but a Nintendo Sega Mega Drive controller for Switch? My head just fell off and rolled out the room.

I didn't even think about the N64 games being multiplayer online as @LtSarge mentioned. That could actually be quite cool.

As for games, not a lot for me really. Kirby looks cool in terms of the world design but it doesn't look hugely interesting in terms of gameplay. For me personally anyway. Before Kirby was revealed, I was really hoping this overgrown and battered metropolis was going to be a curve ball reveal for Breath of the Wild 2. Unfortunately not. I know people would lose their minds if BotW2 had that kind of setting but I'd think it would be really interesting.

Splatoon 3 story mode has piqued my interest. The first two didn't have story mode did they? I've not played either because I was under the impression that they were multiplayer only.

The other thing that made me laugh was all the actor reveals for the Mario movie. It's a great cast but seeing Chris Pratt's (hopefully tongue in cheek) smouldering headshot as Miyamoto sung his praises made me chuckle. Not sure how this one will turn out though. I suspect Martinet is going to be playing Wario because why the hell not.

I think that's probably it for me, nothing else of interest. Not sure.

See ya!

ralphdibny

I will add, I hope the N64 controllers have the rumble pak built in. Why not? It's not like you need the slot for a memory pak.

Also, while I beat the boss of Mario 64 on switch, maybe I'll wait to get one of these pads before I go back and get all the stars. I'm sure theyll update the 3D all stars collection to support it if it doesn't already out of the box

See ya!

nessisonett

I can’t believe there was no Waluigi considering it’s Bisexual Visibility Day. Talk about an open goal.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nomither6

That direct wasn't bad , not gonna lie . N64 games online is what really surprised me .

nomither6

Haruki_NLI

@ralphdibny The first Splatoon had a campaign. Splatoon 2 had 2 campaigns.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

Decent Direct.

Objectively there were some pretty good reveals, just not a lot to my tastes specifically. Kirby looks absolutely fantastic though, and I'll probably get the Castlevania collection (never played anything in the series, & the "Metroidvania" styled ones seem more interesting to me).

Otherwise Chocobo GP looks cute, though I'm not sure how much I'd get out of it being a primarily single player guy. Never played any of the Bayonetta games so I see no reason to start with 3 (glad it's finally materialized for those excited though, although I'd have been more interested if the Astral Chain tease had been real). Same with Monster Hunter & Splatoon 3 (quality releases, just not my thing).

Oh well, still excited for Metroid soon.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@ralphdibny The first game has one of the best final bosses I've encountered in a Nintendo game. Took me several tries to defeat him, and each run took 20+ minutes because the thing went through dozens of different phases.

Unlike the competitive shooter emphasis of the multiplayer, the single-player story campaigns tend to put much more of a focus on platforming challenges and collectables.

The default story campaign in the second game wasn't quite as good, IMO, but the downloadable Octo Expansion more than made up for it with a satisfying and far more challenging campaign.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@ralphdibny Yeah, the SP content alone makes it worth checking out Splatoon for sure.

Octane

johncalmc

@Ralizah I think I'm out here on my own in my love for Super Paper Mario. I don't even just think it's alright - I really, really like it. It's one of my favourites. I'm not even sure why.

Regarding the Direct, I liked it. Well, I liked the announcements. I never actually watch Directs because I think they're really awful to watch. I don't know why. They're a bit cringe. And I hate the Switch finger-snap thing. Can't believe we're still doing that. Anyway.

People might be disappointed about not getting the new Smash character but I don't care about Smash at all. The N64 games coming to Online is like the best thing they could have announced for me. I use those game apps more than anything else on my Switch, and I'm looking forward to the N64 games and Genesis games.

I'm so far beyond offended by the Mario movie that I actually want to see it now. Some sort of bizarre, reverse marketing.

Other than that, whatever.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

@johncalmc I've talked to a number of people who really like Super Paper Mario. You're definitely not on your own. I guess I'm just a little disappointed after I enjoyed TTYD and Origami King as much as I did.

Directs are pretty much the best modern gaming presentations out there. They're perfectly paced. They usually show off gameplay. No random, weird bits like... whatever the heck that commercial was at the start of the PS5 roadmap presentation. Although, admittedly, I HATED when they addressed the Mario movie, even though it was quick. Like, I'm here for games, not to hear that Mario is now voiced by Chris Pratt.

I was actually pretty happy when they announced that Smash would be getting its own presentation. Since it meant it wouldn't be taking up time in the Direct. I love Smash, but it's an old fighting game at this point. Time to move on.

RE the NSO expansion: N64 games are a great move, but Genesis games... ugh. EVERYTHING can play Genesis games. You know that collection with, like, 50 of them that's on PS4? It's also on Switch.

Imagine how cool it would have been to get Saturn or Dreamcast.

Octane

Even Directs are becoming this giant advertisement platform, so there's a lot of quantity instead of quality these days. Mario movie actor announcements, Smash Direct announcement, AC Direct announcement. It could've been 15 minutes shorter. Most of the games shown was old stuff I could've played a long time ago, but didn't, and a Switch release isn't going to change that. It's kinda telling when the best announcement was a 3D Kirby game

Octane

Voltan

@Octane Tbf that 3D Kirby game looked pretty good, I'd play that

Voltan

Octane

@Voltan I mean, yeah, true, but it isn't a mind-blowing unique game. It's just Kirby, but in 3D. Or 3D Mario, but with Kirby instead. Like, good, I'll play it, but give me something new as well. Last good IP they put time and effort into was Splatoon. Switch has been mostly sequels and ports so far.

There was ARMS, but that was quite lacklustre for what it was. Even Nintendo has given up on it, it seems.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane You're just salty they continue to ignore Pikmin.

Voltan

@Octane Ah, fair enough. I never even owned a Nintendo console myself (only the Gameboy Pocket) so I'm not really trying to keep up with their releases

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic