Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,421 to 5,440 of 7,479

TheFrenchiestFry

Been watching the SMT V Treehouse demo for a bit now

Man this looks like such a big step forward visually and mechanically for the series from SMT IV and Apocalypse. I love that demons just run rampant in the overworld now since it adds to how screwed over the world is in this game. The battle animations also look incredible

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Ralizah

The Switch port of Monstrum Nox seems way more stable than the Ys VIII Switch port, and this is well-known to be a much more demanding game. The team that worked on this and the Trails Switch conversions are doing great work.

@TheFrenchiestFry It really feels like SMT V must be pushing the limits of the system's capabilities. It looks REALLY good, resolution aside. And that massive-looking open world setting with demons freely wandering around... wow.

This is clearly the most ambitious game Atlus has ever made. They're going BIG with this series after it has spent years in the handheld ghetto.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

The treehouse bit for SMTV definitely won me over a little more. Looks like a perfect handheld game.

I'll be honest, though, that most of all I'm looking forward to WarioWare and Advance Wars.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Especially given that WayForward are helping with Advance Wars!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

@nessisonett it's crazy to think about all the way forward stuff coming out in the next 12 months: BloodRayne, RWBY, Dawn of the Monsters, Advance Wars, River City Girls, the Shantae games coming to PS5.

If you wanted to you can get by with only their games.

Anyway, with regards to Advance Wars I definitely think they're the right studio for the right project. Like when Bluepoint was working on Demon's Souls, it's just a big win.

Kidfried

mookysam

There's something really off about the Advance Wars art style. It looks quite cheap and tacky compared to the gorgeous pixel art of the originals. I'll catch up with the Treehouse demos later. And good lord I need to shift my arse into gear with my backlog of Shin Megami Tensei games.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RR529

@Ralizah, Ys IX is looking really good on Switch!

I was planning on getting it on PS4, but as I kinda have a growing backlog on that system I may wait to see how it reviews on Switch (to make sure the performance holds throughout the entire game) and get it there.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

I've gotta say, MercurySteam seems to be doing a fantastic job with the Metroid franchise. Samus Returns was already a great remake on 3DS, and this new one seems to be taking full advantage of the Switch's more powerful hardware.

@mookysam The style started working more for me once I noticed the wooden paneling on the side of the 'board' the characters are moving around on and realized the developers were going for a 'plastic toys in a board game' aesthetic, though. I think it's cute in its own right.

It's a bit of a shame that WF couldn't develop this with their own interpretation of the classic pixel art, though. The company is primarily known for the high-detail and fluid animation of their pixel art work.

@RR529 Yeah, I'll probably do the same, given Ys VIII's framerate kinda craps out in one dungeon in particular near the end. I'm optimistic, though: the people porting recent Falcom adventures seem to do a good job of targeting and hitting 30fps consistently with their ports.

Edited on by Ralizah

TraCuz-

@Ralizah You seem to be a fan of SMT, personally I have no experience with the series (except Persona 5, but I've seen people burned alive online for saying it counts) and the SMT V trailer looks pretty good. Do you think SMT V could be a good jumping on point for a newbie?

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

Ralizah

@TraCuz- Persona 5 is definitely not an SMT game, although there are still a lot of similarities, including the same types of attack/support/healing skills, mostly similar monsters to collect, somewhat similar combat (although SMT is FAR less forgiving in terms of damage balancing, and it'll punish you by taking away multiple turns from your party if an enemy nulls your attack, which Persona 5 doesn't do), fusing your monsters together to create new monsters, and using negotiations to collect said monsters (although they're more RNG-based in SMT games). At the end of the day, only one is SMT, but both are branches of the larger Megami Tensei franchise.

The big differences are:

• Lack of social simulation stuff/calendar system
  • A much larger focus on exploration and dungeon-crawling
  • Less focus on characters and cutscenes; more focus on atmosphere, with comparatively unobtrusive story-telling techniques
  • Your demons are your party members
  • Combat is more punishing (but also much more satisfying)

Anyway, I imagine SMT V will be a good place to start. Newer Atlus games tend to feature QoL improvements over their older games, and, in this case, Atlus is probably consciously designing this with the knowledge that they'll be reaching out to a broadly new audience (people who primarily or only buy home consoles) that won't have much in the way of familiarity with this series.

Edited on by Ralizah

TraCuz-

@Ralizah Thanks for your reply, your input is appreciated. I honestly think I'm gonna give it a shot because I liked what I seen in the trailer and with Persona becoming one of my favorites I wanna show more love and support for Atlus. So I'm guessing that SMT is like Persona/FF where each entry is a new story, new characters and all that. Should I look up the story/lore of other games to ease into this one? Also are SMT games typically similar in length to P5? I'm okay if it is, just need to mentally prepare lol.

Currently Playing:

R1spam

I finally watched the tree house for mario golf super rush and got hit by the hype train and preordered. Mario aces has been my guilty pleasure on switch and am hoping for some more mario multiplayer goodness

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Ralizah

@TraCuz- SMT I and II are connected.

SMT IV and IV: Apocalypse are connected as well.

But no, you should be fine going into this one blind. As an apparent spiritual successor to SMT III: Nocturne, it probably will have some elements that could be interpreted as references to that game, but likely nothing that you'd even notice as a new fan, and not 'getting' them wouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the game at all.

Persona 5 has slight references to older Persona games as well, but I imagine you probably didn't even pick up on them, right? Likely to be the same deal with SMT V.

As for length... they're all pretty long, although you have more control over how much time you spend with SMT, because, unlike Persona, half the game isn't listening to dialogue/watching cutscenes/reading text messages/etc.

I'll refer you to the average listed playtimes for a few games on howlongtobeat.com. I'll be using the "main + extra" playtimes, which means the player completed the story and did a number of side activities, but didn't complete absolutely everything. In general, how most people would play a game.

PERSONA 3 FES
102 hours

PERSONA 4 GOLDEN
84 hours

PERSONA 5
112 hours

PERSONA 5 ROYAL
124 hours

vs

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI III
65 hours

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: STRANGE JOURNEY REDUX
72 hours

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI IV
62 hours

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI IV: APOCALYPSE
64.5 hours

Now, most of the SMT games have taken me between 70 - 100 hours to play through, although I likely played them more fully. The playtimes on the Persona games are much closer because, like I said, there's less wiggle room in terms of how long it takes to push through those games.

This is all assuming you play through these games once. SMT games typically feature multiple endings (real multiple endings, not the early bad endings you get in Persona games), which makes them more replayable.

Edited on by Ralizah

TheFrenchiestFry

@TraCuz- Mainline SMT is nowhere near the length of mainline Persona. They're incredibly dense in content but obviously because all the social sim and time management stuff is taken out of the equation in those games they're substantially shorter by about 30-40 hours. Same with the pre-P3 Persona games

TheFrenchiestFry

TraCuz-

@Ralizah @TheFrenchiestFry Ahh ok thank you both for insight, I think I'm gonna dive into the MegaTen world! Plus it just seems like a nice handheld game. Hopefully I'll have some fun stuff to add to the discussions when it's time. Thanks!

Currently Playing:

TheFrenchiestFry

@TraCuz- If you also still have your 3DS lying around if you have one, I highly recommend checking out the SMT games Atlus released for it. Specifically SMT IV, IV Apocalypse and the two Devil Survivor entries outside obviously the Persona Q games

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

After E3 2021 my Switch is about to get way more use than it did all of 2020 lol

Metroid Dread, WarioWare, SMT V and Advance Wars being a month apart each was something I was not prepared for in the slightest

TheFrenchiestFry

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry That’s basically my feelings too. Although I’ve ended up having to take a break from Xenoblade because I’ve spent 55 hours sleepwalking my way through a million sidequests.

Ralizah

So far this year...

JULY
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (pending good reviews and lack of performance complaints; with that said, the demo ran well, so I'm hopeful)
Monster Hunter Stories 2
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

OCTOBER
Metroid Dread

NOVEMBER
Shin Megami Tensei V

DECEMBER
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (only played the original and Days of Ruin, so I'm excited to play the second game in particular, which I've heard is one of the best entries in the series)

UNDATED
Danganronpa: Decadence (perfect opportunity to revisit this series)
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Didn't really want to spend this much on new games, but the 2021 Switch lineup is pretty much ticking all of my boxes. So much for my backlog plans.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Oh man, Dual Strike’s my favourite Advance Wars and it’ll end up being the only one you haven’t played then! Try and seek out a copy of that, there’s an absolutely insane amount of content. Tbh, I’ll probably have the exact same purchases as you minus Monster Hunter Stories since I haven’t played the first one. Danganronpa depends because I do own 1+2 on PS4 and 3 on Vita but it might be easier to play them on Switch.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic