Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 441 to 460 of 7,479

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

Perhaps I'm just not good with these super fast racers: Wipeout games and older F-Zeros are manageable, but F-Zero GX and Fast RMX feel too fast. I barely even have time to react to stuff.

You're just getting older

MK8's tracks aren't really designed with 200cc in mind, so some work a little better than others. 200cc on those F-Zero tracks made me realise how much I'd want another F-Zero game.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Very possible. I don't do wll with roller coasters anymore either. My sister, who is almost double my age, calls me a wuss now whenever we visit theme parks.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Wait, double your age? Or did you mean half your age?

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane A little under double. In her early fifties. Still enjoys brutally fast rollercoasters. They only nauseate me, on the other hand.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

So, um... this is apparently an actual thing.

Octane

@Ralizah That's a pretty big age difference then!

@KratosMD There are more slides, they describe it as a tactical turn-based game or something like that. The overworld looks out of Mario Party, minus the blue and red circles...

Octane

Ralizah

@KratosMD The rabbids are repulsive and obnoxious little buggers. They really put me off the game.

Anyway, the idea is that this will be a strategy RPG akin to Fire Emblem. Some pictures also suggest weapon customization. We'll see how it pans out.

Kogorn733

I'd be more excited about the Rabbids game if the Rabbids were, you know, actual distinguishable characters, rather than those clearly just wearing the garb of Mario characters. Nintendo seems to be afraid to associate its flagship franchises with newer or unusual characters (with the exception of the smash bros series).

Think about how back in the day Nintendo combined mario the with wholly original chracters Geno and Mario in Super Mario RPG. Nothing like them had previously existed in the mario universe (though you could argue Mallow resembled one of the smiley face cloud platforms), and they were the most interesting characters in the game. Even the early Mario and Luigi series games introduced original characters, while the most recent one, paper jam, stuck with the series staples. It's annoying, and it makes the game more bland then they could be.

Fortunately, Super Mario Odyssey seems to be breaking this trend. I noticed a lot of new characters and baddies that didn't look anything like those in earlier mario games. Super excited for that one.

Kogorn733

Kogorn733

Maybe the rabbids will have their own personalities despite being imitators of mario characters. Hopefully time will tell.

Kogorn733

Haruki_NLI

Monster Hunter XX.

RIP Japan.

And no PS4 version yet like some predicted. Weird.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@BLP_Software PS4 version would be pointless in Japan.

Who knows what'll happen if it's localized.

Gamer83

@Ralizah
Can't see it ever going to PS4. Monster Hunter is maybe a little more than niche in the West but it's not exactly a massive IP either. It'd make little sense to spend the money localizing it for PS4 when it probably would do 300K tops.

Gamer83

Octane

@BLP_Software It's a port of a 3DS game. The prediction was that a new MH would be multiplat. If it's build from the ground up for an HD console, there's no point in keeping it Switch exclusive (unless Nintendo is paying for it).

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Well, unless there's cross-platform play, MH5 being a multiplat would split up the online userbase pretty drastically.

Besides, it's possible Capcom won't even have an incentive to launch it on the PS4 right away, considering MH's more recent history with Nintendo.

Octane

@Ralizah It wouldn't hurt the sales if they also released it on PS4, if anything, it'll sell more.

I'm looking at it this way, if they can be bothered to release Frontier Z or whatever on PS4 in Japan, that means there's clearly an incentive to release the franchise on PS4 (and PC). I think the only reason why they kept the 3DS and console games separate is because the 3DS couldn't run those games. And the only reason the Switch is getting XX is because those systems share a similar architecture and they can probably make the game look "presentable" on Switch. However, if they're developing a new MH for consoles from the ground up, there's no reason not to release it on PS4 (and PC) as well. If they're localising the Switch version, then it's also easy to bring the PS4 version over. Growing the fanbase, that's what any sensible company would do.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Depends on whether they think a PS4 port is worth the investment or not.

Multiplat MH wouldn't surprise me, but then, Capcom can make some weird decisions regarding which platforms its games come to.

If Nintendo is smart, they'll pay for exclusivity, but for some reason I think they're still operating in the 90s mindset of "third parties are lucky to have their games released on our platform." A baffling attitude after the Wii U, but the Switch at least seems to be doing pretty well so far.

BAMozzy

I think its far too early to assess whether Nintendo have changed their attitude towards 3rd Party games. Its had a number of games that are on other platforms - even if most of them are more of the indie/arcade type releases. Its not going to be an 'easy' port to bring more complex games over as Skyrim demonstrates. That remaster will have been out approx a year by the time it releases on Switch and no doubt if it was relatively easy, we may have seen it release much sooner. I bet most developers won't have 'big' teams working on porting games to Switch either.

Its possible that a lot of developers are working on Switch ports of AAA games but saving that announcement for E3. It also could end up being like the Wii U too where we see some 'enthusiasm' and releases from 3rd Parties at launch but drop off quickly. Maybe Independent studios, arcade/small, mobile (like phone, tablet) and any external developers that may have been making 3DS games end up being the only 3rd party games Nintendo get after a year or two - most are very well suited to handheld formats and not that resource heavy. Point is we really don't know at the moment and better to assess after a few years.

I bet most 3rd Party Developers were working on games for XB, PS and PC and hadn't even considered Nintendo. They aren't large numbers of people (maybe 1 or 2) from working on getting these finished to work on Switch games/ports so that may also impact on the frequency and number of 3rd Party games at this point in time. You may suddenly get a glut of them as the developers all started work on Switch games around the same time.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

@Ralizah Like I said, they've also released Frontier Z for the PS4. And a port [of MH5] would cost less than a game like Frontier Z made for the PS4.

I know, Capcom is Capcom, but I expect MH5 to be multiplat if they would behave like any other sensible company.

Octane

belmont

To any that has a Switch how buying digital stuff works? Is is like the Vita that when I buy a new one I just login and download my games or is it like Wii U that if it breaks and I buy a new one I have to send it to Nintendo to trasfer rights from the broken one?

belmont

Ralizah

@belmont Somewhere in between: it's a proper account system, so the game downloads are tied to your account, but they can only be used on one Switch at a time. The catch is that you have to deactivate your old Switch and activate a new one to redownload your games on the new console.

So if your Switch breaks or gets stolen, you'd have to call Nintendo and have them deactivate the previous console so that you can activate the new one and redownload your games.

Not quite as user friendly as on the Vita, but vastly better than on previous Nintendo consoles.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic