Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,181 to 4,200 of 7,480

Ralizah

@stuzster Dragon Quest XI S would get my vote, personally. It's VERY beginner-friendly, but also gorgeous and a technically ambitious title for the system.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

I thought what I played of Superstar Saga was kind of boring, personally. Especially having played some of it in close proximity to the witty and charming Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

I'd recommend Bravely Default, of those two games. It's pretty funny if you're looking for something old-fashioned with a job system like Final Fantasy V. And the battle system and music are fantastic.

nessisonett

@KratosMD @Ralizah I agree about Superstar Saga. I know it was on GBA but I also played Paper Mario TTYD around the same time and that being one of the best RPGs of all time kinda overshadowed it. I’m gonna give Bravely Default a go after I finish Dragon Quest VII, although I’m only 30 hours in and I’ve heard it’s even longer than Persona 5.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

Leave it to Nintendo to update Mario Maker 2 with an End-of-Life update that's so massive and gamechanging that it makes the game feel like the substantial sequel it always should have been. So, now there's a mode called World Maker where you can link up to forty of your levels together through a variety of themed overworld maps. This literally gives people the ability to make entire custom Mario games now!

What I'm excited for is the way this will change MM level design. Mario Maker levels are the way they are, generally, because they're one-off showpieces, so the creator has to throw everything at you over the course of one level. Now they're able to create levels within the context of an entire game.

So, like, previously, if you found a secret area in a level and it rewarded you with a bunch of coins or one-ups, you wouldn't care too much, because, in the context of a single-level, those items aren't terribly beneficial, since everything gets reset at the end. But, in the context of a full Mario game, with continuity between levels? WAY more rewarding, since you'll feel the benefits of those secrets in later levels when you have more lives or coins.

Hopefully this encourages people to create levels that are designed to be fun and approachable instead of challenging or gimmicky.

@KratosMD Glad you're enjoying Superstar Saga. Lucky for you, I think all of the Mario and Luigi games are available on 3DS.

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’ve been wanting a world maker since the first game came out on Wii U so at least it’s finally here. While I’m seriously not a fan of Nintendo making literally every game GaaS now, at least they’re adding meaningful content for the most part.

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD The Bravely Second demo is much better IMO. Just play that. Both are totally unconnected to the main games so you risk nothing, but it's probably a gentler introduction.

That said the systems are not that complicated really, you can bank moves to use in the next turn, or borrow them to use in the current turn (meaning you miss out the next turn).

Jobs are standard RPG stuff, just 2 jobs per character and you earn AP from battles to unlock skills in each job. The fun comes from combining jobs which compliment one another.

It is better than any recent Final Fantasy game, and the battle system is the best turn based battle system that I've used, but if you're not in the mood for a long classic RPG then that makes sense.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 I also have BD lined up to play and that battle system does sound like my cup of tea. If I can slog through DQVII’s endless number of tiny scenarios that make up a wider narrative, I can repeat a few dungeons in BD.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett The beauty of BD is you can just easily turn the battles off entirely. That sounds like a cheat but once you get used to all the cool QOL enhancements in these games you realise it's how they are meant to be played. If you want to do all your grinding in one go outside a town, and then turn encounters down to 0-25% in the dungeons so you can explore them without distraction then go for it - it's what I did. Some of the bosses are hard, so it's not a free pass.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Yeah thats fair enough. Honestly I think you ran yourself ragged playing those old FF games. 7 and 9 are my two favourite games ever but I dont go near the earlier ones. Impressive that you made such a dent in them though lol

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

@KratosMD The older FF games are good but 7, 9, 10 and 12 are more interesting, systems wise. I like traditional RPGs but also niche ones like Megaman X Command Mission which is both sorta terrible and really good fun. My favourite non-Squeenix or Atlus RPGs are probably Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario TTYD, both of which do things differently while still fitting into the RPG mould. While I wouldn’t say you should feel obligated to play the other FF games, I would still give the 3D ones a chance because they’re totally different beasts.

RR529

Bought FFIX a couple days ago since I'm in a JRPG mood.

I'm not too far in yet (saved at an HP/MP regenerating spring in a forest, looking for the princess). Do enemies scale with you or anything weird like that? I quickly grinded everyone up to level 5 just to get a bit of a good start, but don't want to do it too much if it's not much help in the grand scheme.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

mookysam

The upcoming Animal Crossing update looks sweet. Especially the return of Leif and Redd! It makes me wonder what else will be added in the future - and if it'll all be free.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

kyleforrester87

@mookysam dope, I missed that thanks. Just scanned through it. Can’t wait to marry my girlfriend not in real life. Will watch the video in a bit!

kyleforrester87

Octane

I caved in and got animal crossing. Pretty chill vibes so far. I like the island, not too keen on all the pink rhinos moving in, and turning the whole thing in a big city. But we'll see.

@crimsontadpoles Neat, I think I'll join too if I remember it this time...

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic