Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 7,477

Ralizah

The production issues leading to joycon drift likely wouldn't be any different had Nintendo not released the Switch so early. The commonness of this phenomenon is unacceptable, though, and Nintendo NEEDS to address the issue before the Switch Lite and its integrated controls hits the market.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ryall

Wonder whether it is caused by people doing something in Nintendo didn’t originally expect. Like moving and clicking the stick simultaneously. Looking at that graphite sensor on the clickable stick that’s the issue that comes to mind.

Ryall

Ralizah

Nintendo is apparently doing repairs on drifting joycon sticks for free now, and will refund people they charged for the repairs in the past. Public pressure is paying off.

Matroska

I've been playing Three Houses for a few hours now and I love it. I've been a FE fan on and off since FE7 on the GBA but I always wanted a richer story and world, and for the characters to more commonly transcend their basic archetype. Well looks like I've got my wish. They're still based on basic archetypes but there's a lot more details on top of that, and you see everyone in far more situations rather than mainly in 3-4 support conversations. The music's great too. The gameplay hasn't been overlooked in favour of story and world building either.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Ralizah

Ahahahahahaha.

Omega Labyrinth Life is getting a full, uncensored release in the N/A eshop on the Switch.

I'm glad Sony didn't end up preventing people outside of asian territories from enjoying this game.

@Matroska Oh man, I'm incredibly jealous you got an early copy.

Enjoy your early access, you lucky jerk.

BranJ0

Reviews for Three Houses are excellent across the board! I've played Sacred Stones, Awakening and all three Fates games, and this looks to have the great world building of Sacred Stones, characters of Awakening and gameplay of Conquest (we don't talk about the rest of Fates yikes), all wrapped in an excellent story! Can't wait to dig into it when my copy arrives tomorrow!

BranJ0

Ralizah

@BranJ0 Birthright's gameplay was just fine. Very Awakening+. Nothing remarkable, but, unlike Conquest, the writing wasn't actively stupid.

Matroska

@Ralizah Hehehe (at getting it early)

@BranJ0 Yeah, though to play Devil's Advocate, Fates got good reviews too IIRC and pretty much every FE fan hates that game with a burning passion - however in this case the reviews are right. Maybe even underrating it a bit. The characters are less one-note than a lot of the Awakening ones, I'd say. Sure, you get stuff like Leonie being obsessed with Jeralt but that's not all there is to her, unlike Gaius who could've been replaced with a sign saying "I like candy". It's the different activities you can do with them, their preferred foods, do they like singing in the choir, would they rather clear the stables or work in the greenhouse, etc, those things make them feel more like actual people than a walking trope. The world building is amazing too, they even have a library where you can read about the history of the world, and additional lore is sprinkled through all the dialogue, even with random NPCs.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

BranJ0

@Ralizah Everything about Birthright was so mediocre though that it just hasn't lasted in my mind at all. Despite Conquest's abysmal characters and plot, the gameplay was so good that at least I view that as worth playing. At least Birthright wasn't offensively bad like Revelation though, which genuinely put me off Fire Emblem for the past two years.

@Matroska I was thinking that, but on IGN's comment section the reviewer mentioned how he really didn't like Fates so it seems to be the general consensus that this is at least better than that! That sounds absolutely brilliant though, Awakening had some bad one note characters but nearly all of Fates' characters were "insert gimmick here" which led to all supports being dull and lifeless. Fates' world building was also appalling. I'm really glad to hear they've improved all of that!

BranJ0

Ralizah

@BranJ0 I dunno. The level design in Conquest felt downright gimmicky at times to me. The biggest issue with Birthright is that it felt like it was terrified of altering Awakening's formula. Thus the very vanilla levels and (in all campaigns) utterly absurd reintroduction of adult children. I don't disagree that it wasn't terribly memorable, though.

I actually never played Revelation, so put off was I by Conquest and its terrible writing, but I have a friend who played all three and she also fingered Revelation as being the worst of the campaigns, which is a... scary thought.

Anyway, I'm just glad IS is finally releasing a brand new FE game that doesn't feel like yet another retread of Awakening.

Matroska

@KratosMD It's just gone up to 88, placing it on the same supposed level as Revelations, a game all FE fans despise. It's way better than that, it's sad they put all this care and attention into revitalizing the series and gets the same score as a game FE fans wish didn't exist. Ugh, game reviewers.

Anyway, it's a great game. If you like FE and Persona, you'll be in heaven.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

Ralizah

@Matroska The score is skewed by the low scores awarded to it by a tabloid and some no-name site. This is the problem with judging games based on average scores.

Anyway, aside from those 2, the 50 other reviews for the game so far are all positive, and 32/50 are 90 or higher, so it's being very well received.

Kidfried

@Ralizah Metacritic just shouldnt count the 'outliers', that would also prevent journalists from grading some horrible score for the sake of if.

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Reviews are just personal opinion... That 6 from the Daily Star could very well be an honest and genuine opinion of it (Though I'm sure the overlay of people who read the Star and like Fire Emblem is next to none)

Seven's definitely not a bad score though and I've enjoyed plenty, have favourites even, of games which have gotten similar or lower scores... Doesn't really matter long as WE enjoy it

I haven't played any Fire emblem games (My only knowledge is Ike and Marth from Brawl) but I hope people end up enjoying Three Houses as it looks pretty neat!

Plus doing my little (Or very long and detailed) reviews in the games we've beat topic, I'd hate for someone to say my personal opinion is less valid just because it's lower/higher then the average @Kidfried .

True mine aren't being put on Metacritic and I understand the sentiment of wanting to remove journalists doing it purely for "the clicks" but honestly I'd be surprised that people would wanna put up with that on how rabid and vitrolic fanbases can be at times in this day and age with twitter and comment sections just to get a few more pennies.

@Ralizah The Metro is a newspaper that comes free with public buses and trains in the UK and the gamecentral team had been around since the days of Teletext (Another british thing that used(?) to be availble on TV) apparently before they got picked up there as the online reviewing team.

They're a little tougher then most sites on games cus I dunno... They're British and miserable, complaining about the weather?

(And Yes I'm being self depricating! )

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, I agree, that the people who actually care about a meta score are the problem, and not Metacritic itself.

And I've often been the one in a group that had a completely different opinion on stuff from the rest (I don't like Avengers, I have some wild political opinions, etc). And it's not a nice feeling when people point out you're opinion is inferior because you're the only one who thinks like that.

So you're right that it's probably not a good solution either.

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Definitely didn't mean to put your comment and suggestion down @Kidfried !

It's a sore topic and something that unfortunately can't be dealt with in a single strike. Wish it could though!

I think part of the problem is that most reviews aren't personal enough, or at least re-iterate that it's thier own personal opinion rather then some gospel truth most seem to take it as.

Hell my Digimon review in the games you've beat topic even has a seperate lower score for everyone else cus I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

"Professional" reviews are mostly pretty meaningless in this day and age, considering the ubiquity of pre-release footage, player reviews, Let's Plays, etc. There's no longer a need for anointed gatekeepers to inform the public of what's good and what's not. Especially considering how common it is in other areas of professional criticism (in America, at least) for critics to use their voice for ideological purposes. It's also incredibly common for critics and the public to part ways in opinion on something, and usually, in my experience, not in ways that are flattering to the critical consensus.

With that said, if people care about professional criticism, they should actually take the time to read the reviews instead of acting like there's any real significance to a game or movie being a few points higher or lower on review aggregation sites.

I remember how angry a lot of people got when dissenting critics "ruined" the perfect scores for movies with massive, built-in fanbases like like Black Panther, The Avengers (which, I agree @Kidfried, is a mediocre film, and, more broadly, a mediocre series of films), Toy Story 3, The Dark Knight, etc.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah. I knew Daily Star, but had never heard of The Metro before. Thanks for enlightening me.

Having a separate "personal score" is something I've considered adding a few times, and I still might, for games that are objectively excellent, but which I don't like for whatever reason. I believe I did that with Fast RMX on the Switch. It's a really decent F-Zero-esque racing game with involved track design, good performance, and effective use of the HD rumble. I just... didn't like it. But it feels weird giving a low score to something I know is good.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

No problem @Ralizah

I was gonna say something similar in my original post about reviewers but I couldn't get it out quite as eloquently as you just did and ditched it... I saw your comments in the ninty life story about Omega Z Labyrinth and boy I'm glad I didn't chime in

-EDIT- P.S you put Kidfriend instead of Kidfried (Sorry my inner teacher is popping out now I'm officially off work for summer! Don't hate me! xD)

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy No, that was a good catch! Although I like @Kidfried, so I also consider him a @Kidfriend.

Oh, and yeah, haha, the articles about fanservice games inevitably provoke strong reactions (from me as well!). I don't mind too much, of course, until accusations of people being "pedophiles," "alt-right," "social justice warriors," etc. start cropping up. America's political discourse is incredibly toxic and divisive right now, and, thanks to our massive reach to every corner of the globe, I think we export a lot of that toxicity to regions where public dialogue is usually much more healthy.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic