Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 321 to 340 of 7,477

Nei

@Octane Hi, I'll reply here since the other topic is turning in to this one and going OT. I kinda expected Zelda to support all the new technology (HD rumble and so on), it looks like it could have been incorporated pretty easily and showcase that kind of technology to the many players who will choose Breath of the Wild as their first Switch game. When Twilight princess got eventually to launch on both GC and Wii, the Wii version had motion controls...and to achieve that they basically had to mirror the whole game.

I am not saying I want this kind of stuff, just wondering what's Nintendo's angle in not bundling 1,2, switch or implementing this tech (or motion control as an option) into BOTW...is like they are afraid of how that would change the perception of the console.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Octane

@Feena Don't ask me about 1-2-Switch, still don't understand that myself, but I'll get back to that in a moment. As for Zelda, Aonuma said he wanted both versions to be equal, meaning that no one would feel left out. They ditched the GamePad support in the Wii U version too, because the Switch can't do two screens at the same time. Motion controls isn't that easy to implement, at least not the Skyward Sword type, and I think that's what most people expect when they hear about motion controls in Zelda. I guess they could've implemented HD Rumble, but I wonder how much it would add to the game, probably not a whole lot.

Don't think they're afraid of showing the motion controls off, but it definitely feels like the Wii U; Don't think even Nintendo knows who they're targeting with this console. A simple answer could be ''everyone'', but you know, that never really works out. To get back to 1-2-Switch; I think they're afraid of another Wii U situation. There's a reason why they're keeping the 3DS on life support, when the Switch effectively replaces both. They only produced 2 million units for launch as well, that's not much. I think that they're just playing the wait and see game when it comes to the Switch. If it's a success, then I expect a 1-2-Switch bundle for the holidays, marketed at the Wii crowd and a Zelda or Mario bundle marketed at the more typical gamer. Selling 1-2-Switch now as a separate game means that they're still recouping dev costs, whether it's going to be bundled with the Switch or not. It it fails to take off, when at least they recouped some of the costs and they can continue with the 3DS or a potential handheld successor next year.

Octane

Nei

@Octane @KratosMD I didn't know Aonuma's position, thank you for pointing it out. It's interesting even if I don't think anybody would feel cheated by a "superior" version (I still curse myself for purchasing TP on Wii and not on GC). That said, I hope we don't have to wait until 2020 for a "true" Nintendo game showing third parties what can be done with the Switch, but I understand they are being very cautious until they find out who their audience actually is this time.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Octane

Either this is an elaborate hoax, or it's a really interesting story. Allegedly Sony patented a Switch-like device back in 2015..

Untitled

It's coming from a Japanese site http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/50673343.html#more which links to IPforce.jp, but I have no idea whether that's an official patent archive or not.

Octane

BAMozzy

@Octane Would you be surprised? I wouldn't. For all we know, maybe Sony was trying out new designs and patenting ideas for their own Handheld range.

To be honest, that design looks more like the Linx Vision than the Switch.

Untitled

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

@BAMozzy True, the Razor Edge is a thing as well: http://goodereader.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/images/Razer-E...

Keep forgetting about those systems, for a while I thought both companies came up with a similar idea, but it's just copying the tablet devices and repackaging them as consoles essentially. Still, it's an interesting find though. Whether they're going to use it or not, I feel that as hardware upgrades become less important due to diminishing returns, that companies will start looking at portability sooner than later.

Octane

BAMozzy

@Octane Of course the Razor Edge is similar too but I picked the Linx as it appeared to have more in common and basically an Xbox controller system (compared to the more PS style of the illustration). These Tablets though are already portable and capable 'gaming' devices - just often more mobile style games due too the limited inputs. These tablets though are more designed for more complex games. The Linx for example can play XB1 and Win10 games streamed to it. I bet the Razor Edge works with Steam so access to a LOT of the games console owners are able (or were in the case of older games) to play.

Then of course we have tablets like the nVidia Shield K1 (although a speculated reason for the cancellation was product conflict with the Nintendo Switch, which uses similar technology) and I wouldn't be surprised if other tablets come out with the ability to link a games controller to them. I am surprised that Apple hasn't released an iController to link with its iPad's for gaming...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Ralizah

@Octane That design is hideous. Good thing Sony will never make it.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

MagicGunner

Maybe if Sony did make a console handheld hybrid, maybe it could be cheaper than the switch with less tacky gimmicks, have more power, and probably get more 3rd party support. IDK, it could end up the same like the PS Vita

Nintendo Switch will fail. #facts

Tasuki

Watched a few unboxing videos by a few Youtubers tonight and I liked what I saw. I am excited for The Switch and almost found myself thinking about preordering one now, but then I am reminded about getting excited the same way with the Wii U and then how much of a disappointment it was in the lack of games. So if anything maybe this fall when I go to New York I will pick one up.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BAMozzy

@KratosMD The Dock was only ever described as a way to transfer the image to the big screen and charge the device. ALL the power is contained in that small tablet. Its getting a boost because of the 'power' supply the Dock provides rather than from the battery which essentially just upclocks the GPU. If it ran at those speeds, the battery wouldn't last long at all.

What you are essentially getting is a 'portable' WiiU that when 'docked' will be a more powerful WiiU. Unconfirmed 'specs' indicate actually that undocked, running at the leaked clock speeds, the GPU itself isn't as powerful as a WiiU BUT because of better architecture etc, should deliver at least similar performance. The reason 'some' games may drain the battery quicker than others, is because 'some games can run the GPU at 'higher' clock speeds. I guess the test will be to see what 'difference' Zelda offers on the WiiU and the undocked Switch as both will be 720p. It maybe that the small screen will help the game perform better - they could reduce the draw distance for 'detailed' objects for example on the Switch because its too small to see compared to the bigger screen on a WiiU.

The cost does seem 'expensive' when compared to a PS4 or XB1 but not that more than a Vita or WiiU. Its coming with the two controllers, the dock, a controller thing to plug the two joycons into and the wrist-straps too. How much does an iPad Mini 4 with 32GB cost? OK the screen is larger and higher quality but that doesn't come with controllers etc either and wouldn't be surprised if it costs more than a PS4 Pro. Yes you could buy a Vita or a 3DS for that money but neither are as powerful as this. Here in the UK, the difference in cost between the WiiU and Switch is about £30 (although the Wii does come with a game) so for an extra £30, you are getting a more powerful console that offers portability and of course access to all future Nintendo games - Zelda is the last game Nintendo are making for the WiiU.

Personally, I won't be getting a Switch - certainly not for the foreseeable future.

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD Turns out its temporary.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

themcnoisy

So the switch is a tablet with dodgy controllers which can hook up to a tv, but its not great at that either.

Sounds absolutely dreadful, but I can see it selling a bucketload to teeny boppers.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Rudy_Manchego

A guy at my work got his today. He is going to bring it in on Monday so I can have a play but it was actually a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I've been trying to get him to lick his Zelda cartridge all day but he wasn't falling for it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 But its an underpowered tablet?

I can see my kids loving this though.

Octane

@themcnoisy Underpowered compared to a home console, this isn't a home console though..

Octane

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy Not too fussed about the power to be fair, if mobile phones had games like Zelda I'd probably bother playing them haha. Will do a trade in/wait for a deal of some sort I reckon.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@Octane Its underpowered compared to some tablets.

Obviously way more powerful than the ds family, so Nintendo can do alot of good work on this platform.

But the reality is, its just a tablet with uncomfortable faddy controller parts. Maybe I'm miffed that I and a lot of old nintendites have been asking for a relatively powerful console gimmick free when in fact we have been gifted a tablet with tidgy controllers. Screw that noise. Its the 3rd faddy console since the Wii and its doesn't whet my appetite at all. But could it be a success? Sure, but its Nintendo leap pad teenager version to me. I'm half expecting some buttons on the side which make animal noises.

Octane

@themcnoisy The Wii U was fairly traditional, apart from the screen. It was just underpowered. The Switch however is both a handheld and a home console in a way, that's something. And there's the Pro Controller too, just like how there is a Wii U Pro Controller.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic