Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 441 to 460 of 524

kyleforrester87

@NoCode23 how far do you sit from the screen and how big is your screen? I understand what you mean, but generally as resolutions go up so does the screen size you’re playing on. I think it’s hard to find a 4K TV (not a monitor) under 50 inches? I guess customisable text size isn’t always an option as it can screw formatting up, but I have relied on it in the past too.

I remember playing my PS3 on a “big for the time” 32 inch screen from about 13 feet across the room. Couldn’t see a damn thing half the time. I sit about 5 feet from a 55 inch 4K screen now and I could… probably quite well enjoy a 8k 65 inch screen from this distance?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

NoCode23

@kyleforrester87, I predicted a response such as yours. No, I am not watching a 32" screen from 13'. It is not my old eyes, the need for glasses, the size of my screen, or distance I view the screen from. It is TINY TEXT. Text too small, and or bold enough to comfortably read📺.

Same screen same distance and YouTube, and Netflix have comfortable to read subtitle text size in all videos. If Netflix was like games some movies would have tiny subtitles, some would have larger more comfortable to read subtitles, and a few would have tiny text with options to make subtitles larger. Vice City Definitive is the only game I recall having text size options for text other than subtitles. That game also has very useful subtitle options, larger size on a black background.

Edited on by NoCode23

NoCode23

kyleforrester87

@NoCode23 how big is the screen and what sort of distance are you from it, though?

It is harder for developers to scale font formatting across a full UI, not so much for subtitles I guess.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

Games that don't allow you to change the options before getting started.

Had to sit through the entire opening to Metal Gear Survive with the freakin' subtitles on. Urgh.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Certainly annoying. I’ve always been ‘anti-subtitles’ too, although I’m coming around on them for movies. There’s too many times the vocal tract for a TV/movie is too soft compared to the blaring music and explosive sound effects. So I’m teaching myself to use subtitles there. But for games, I’m still a purist and don’t want the text ruining my immersion into the visuals. And most games will let you adjust sliders separate for speech, music, and sound effects.

And I get your meaning with a game locking you into a choice until the intro is done. Same applies for visual adjustments like that brightness adjuster and difficulty sliders. I’ve had a few games before where you’re into the intro section of a game and then they interrupt the game to make you adjust your brightness setting. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I was so focused on my anti-subtitle frustration that I didn't think about the other options but you're right, games should totally lead with the lot of 'em. Quite a few games do now. Most recently, Gotham Knights walked me through a full suite of audio-visual settings at first boot, and you'll often get a rudimentary brightness slider if nothing else. I'm shocked some games pause themselves to make you adjust the brightness partway through the intro, though! Not sure I've ever had that happen to me, and reckon I'd be pretty annoyed if it did. Do you remember which games they were?

For the record, please don't misconstrue any of this as me being anti-options in general. I love that more and more games are making huge strides in accessibility, allowing us all to fine-tune the entire experience from top to bottom. All games should have subtitles, even if I personally can't stand 'em.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Lavalera

@RogerRoger Just curious since you don't seem to like subtitles. Do you always play games in English dubs even when they originally are like Japanese or someting like that?

PSNid: Lavalera

RogerRoger

@Lavalera Yep. I'm a filthy dub lover. I once returned an un-dubbed Naruto PS2 game as "faulty".

Again, that's totally a "me" thing, though. I'd always advocate a full suite of language options in localised games whenever possible, for those who prefer the original audio.

But it should be a two-way street. For example, I wish I could enjoy the Yakuza games, but alas.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger It must have been a while because I can’t remember exactly the last example of a game that did a forced brightness adjustment screen in the midst of the intro. It might have been Demon’s Souls or maybe Returnal… or was it Code Vein… 🤔
I can’t recall, but the experience sticks out to me because I remember that I specifically went into the options menu before starting ‘New Game’ because I wanted everything set up like I wanted it before I got the opening sequence and then it forced me to do it again. 😅 Ah well, obviously it wasn’t too bad since I clearly didn’t hold a grudge against the game.

If I have a pet peeve about myself it’s my poor recall about the games I play. I tend to be especially bad at remembering the opening exposition dumps. Sometimes I finish a game and it has a clever tie back to the beginning montage and it’s totally lost on me because I have long since flushed it from my brain. In my defense, 80 hours of gameplay is a long time to hold on to a narrative detail if it’s not mentioned again during the game!

I guess that’s why it’s good to do NG+ and game replays. During the rare times I replay the game’s opening is when I discover the lost introductory bits that I had seen 4 weeks earlier but didn’t realize the importance of. 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Lavalera

@RogerRoger Yeah I totally get you. Was just wondering if you would tolerate subs when it was a foreign game. But I see not even then haha. But that's fine. Everyone has their own preferences.

I personally enjoy subs. But that might be because I'm a Dutchie. We grow up with everything in English and having subtitles for everything. Well except for the series for the little kids, they are dubbed im Dutch. Since I'm so used to them i generally let them turned on if they are automatically on. But won't turn them on when they aren't. That's also why i play Japanese games subbed. I think being used to it also helps with enjoying or not enjoying subs in a bit.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Gotcha. Honestly, I'm going the same way, the older I get. Which I'm finding frustrating, because I used to have a borderline eidetic / photographic memory. I will say that generally, I often find that a game's opening is its most forgettable moment, if only because it takes me a few minutes to settle down, stop fidgeting, get my headset comfortable, neck my coffee, etc. and so I'm distracted by a lot of little things, on top of trying to set all of the game's settings to just how I like 'em.

Although if an 80-hour story-heavy game is making a crucial callback to its very beginning at its very end, then I'd just call that bad narrative design and pacing, frankly!

@Lavalera That's an interesting angle on the subject and yeah, forgive me, I should've asked about your own preference in my previous reply. I'm very lucky to have English as my primary language because chances are, if a Japanese game is gonna get localised into anything, it's gonna be English. I think I've seen a few examples of Japanese publishers not bothering to fully localise a PAL release of their game, because they know that most Central European folks are used to playing in another language with subtitles switched on. The fact that you grow up with subs must be a huge help!

I just find having to read an audio-visual experience tiresome. I can do it, and obviously there'll be moments in games, movies and TV shows where somebody speaking another language is briefly subbed, and that's fine, but I don't wanna keep having to divide my attention when I'm supposed to be looking elsewhere. It spoils my immersion and subsequent enjoyment.

Which is weird, considering that being a gamer has taught me to monitor and absorb detailed information at a glance, thanks to health and ammo HUDs and whatnot!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

I try to avoid subtitles when I can for anything. Only when it is a foreign film or TV show, then I have them on. But that is a rare thing for me these days.

I was over my sisters at Christmas and we watched Glass Onion, but she had the subtitles on as she struggles to hear people speak apparently. Not sure if it makes any difference but she only has a very basic sound bar, whereas mine has a separate sub woofer and I don't have the same issue.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I wouldn't watch an English dub of a foreign language film or TV show - subtitles or bust. Having said that, I cannot tolerate English subtitles on English language content.

LN78

NoCode23

Subtitles are for those that want or NEED subtitles. Subtitles are text and thus should be of size and placement to be comfortably read at the screen viewer distance that is considered commonly used. My only issues with subtitles is too small, not bold, and poor placement, and then with no options provided.

Tiny game subtitles only affects subtitles users. Tiny text in menu's, skill trees, instructions, and other screens makes the entire game annoying for me to play.

Thankfully some games provide comfortably sized text, but are becoming less since the PS4 gen. Fallout 3 and New Vegas readable, Outer Worlds teeny tiny text.

Game studios workers are on a PC with probably 28" or 32" sceens viewed from about 24" distance, and wearing headphones along with computer glasses. The text may then not look too small for them like it may for many sofa gamers.

Google it, Google tiny game text to find rants and a plethora of screen shot examples of tiny text.

Edited on by NoCode23

NoCode23

Fight_Teza_Fight

PS store sales.
It took me almost 45mins to scroll through the new years sale (I took a mental note as it was ridiculous), even with the filter for full games only on the PS mobile App I had like 700+ results.
Don’t get me started on the console app just pure trash. There still isn’t a wish list option on there.

This morning got woken up because my phone kept pinging. Okay great a game on my wish list was put on sale. Only problem? I got like 5 notifications. As games kept being added notifications were coming in.

I don’t even bother checking the store most sales anymore. Imo if you have over 100 items on sale that’s too much.
75 max & the big sales like New years, summer & even big in Japan no more than 100.
Seen that there was over 350 today & I didn’t even bother just checked my wish list & didn’t buy a single game.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

JohnnyShoulder

@Fight_Teza_Fight There has been a wish list option on the console PS store for quite some time now. At least on PS5 there is.

Also you should be able to customise what notifications you get from the app. Think I've only got notifications for messages and friend requests that come through on my phone.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight The sales are pretty ridiculous at times. Some games are discounted more often than they’re at regular price. I think they are deploying psychological warfare against us with the sale prices. Retail stores have been doing it for ages and now digital stores too, if it’s on sale then we are more likely to buy it. I know I’m certainly guilty of it. I always hate it when I get an urge to buy something and I check and find it’s full price when I know I just saw it for 50% less the week before.

It’s partly why I do like the option to play physical games because if the game isn’t on sale on PSN when I want to buy it, there’s a good chance the disc is on a discount somewhere. And GameStop will price match typically if the sale price is a major outlet like Best Buy or Walmart.

It always worth a check on psprices.com too when I get an inkling to buy. It’ll give me a rough idea if the sale price is likely to come around again before I want to play/buy it.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@JohnnyShoulder That’s good to know, but I don’t believe that’s an option on PS4.
I have turned off all notifications from the PS mobile app now anyways, as I check the site daily & am mostly aware when sales are on.

@Th3solution It’s insane, but they must have some sort of metric that they’re able to sell more games this way.
If I go into a retail clothing store & see that everything was on sale I’d just go straight to the things that I know. I wouldn’t waste my time browsing the store.

The PS store (& probably other store fronts) is just littered with shovel ware or different versions of the same game. We need to have some curation.
For example the ‘Critics’ Choice’ sale has 350+ items- really?
There are 350+ games that are being recommended by critics that you pick up this month.
I don’t even scroll past the top 10 recommendations on Netflix & that is ‘free’.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

Polished off the The Pathless which I really, really liked. Exceeding expectations. But after beating the final boss, it has the dreaded unskippable credits. I know it will let me back in the game to mop up collectibles eventually, but…. Waiting through the credits to get the trophy for beating the game and be given access go back in.

Lavalera

@Th3solution Ah yeah that's also one of those annoying little things. I understand that they want to credit everyone who worked on the game and i guess there are people who are interested in it. But give people the choice to skip the end credits if they don't want to see it. I just want to mop up trophies as you say. If I don't plan on continuing the game I'll just force quit the game nowadays so the game doesn't waste my time

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic