Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 4,981 to 5,000 of 5,545

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Blimey, you've got a lot on your plate! Forbidden West isn't short (I wanna do a NG+ run before starting the DLC but fear I won't find the time) and I'd imagine FFXVI isn't exactly gonna be a twenty-hour, linear narrative adventure, either. It's really something when The Last of Us, Part II is looking like a nice filler game to take an in-between break with!

And I like the way you're able to focus on each individual aspect of a game, and praise (or condemn) it without other elements affecting your judgement. There are so many great "things" in almost every game I play, so it sometimes feels unfair to slap a seven on an entry in this site's Games Collection.

@colonelkilgore Yeah, there was something about your comment that reminded me of your glowing Just Cause 3 review, and about my own experiences with that series. I know that the Saints Row series has arguably evolved more with each subsequent game, but I feel like Just Cause has a better handle on what it is, and does a good job of delivering on its promise (launch-window technical issues aside; I mean, good grief, Just Cause 4 was a mess to begin with, but it's much better now). Whilst I haven't played any for myself, I couldn't tell you what Saints Row is about, not at its core anyway.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I don't rate games on the site here, but if I would, I'd try and use the whole scale. I would be proud if my legacy in this life was a piece of art that anyone would stamp a 7 on.

But yeah, I try not to be distracted by a few bad game mechanics, bad writing or ugly graphics, as long as I'm feeling that I'm doing something worthwhile playing that game.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried As would I, without question. It's unfortunate how a seven has come to mean mediocrity in recent years; suppose it speaks to the changing landscape of gaming and the increasing demands of a wider, more tech-savvy audience (not to mention the internet's proclivity for drama).

Darn it, now I wanna go and increase all the scores in my Games Collection by one!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

Just finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits and it really is a joy. Managed to finish the thing on Normal, which is no mean feat I reckon… I’d rank a good chunk of those boss fights well above your average souls boss in terms of difficulty. Also, big shout out to @CaptD and @BearsEatBeets for the info about glitching the Master difficulty trophy. Would I have been able to do it for reals? Maybe… but I can tell from the small section of NG+ I played through on Master that it would’ve been incredibly punishing.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Dont give I to it! If you ask the general internet user, a 1-10 review scale means you either give a game a 1 or a 10. I don't think they're aware what the dash means!

Kidfried

Ralizah

I'm a big believer in using the full review scale. Even if it means I've given low scores to a few games I really loved.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Kidfried @Ralizah Six is the one that catches me out most. On a one-to-ten scale, six is literally the first available option for expressing more positivity than negativity (it's better than average!) but you give a game a six nowadays and people act like it's a broken, unplayable insult to their intelligence. Argh.

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@colonelkilgore I would have had no chance without the glitch. I put the game down to easy about halfway through and still died a couple of times on the final boss I think. A lot to admire with the game to be sure, interested to see what they come up with next.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LtSarge

Just finished GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony on Xbox 360. It took me over ten years but I finally did it! I played through GTA IV and The Lost and Damned back in 2012 but I never played through TBoGT. It was a weird feeling to be back in the GTA IV world again after such a long time. It was really nostalgic for me.

It took me roughly a dozen hours to get through the game and I did a lot of side content as well. It's definitely a meaty expansion. Not to mention that it's overall a much better experience than GTA IV. It doesn't take itself as seriously as GTA IV, which is how GTA should be. The missions are crazier, e.g. stealing a tank from the police and blowing everything up. The gameplay is more varied as they've added parachuting, which makes for fun side content as well as awesome story missions. Some of the new weapons are also really good, such as a shotgun that shoots explosive shells. The DLC is just overall much, much better and more fun than the actual game. It's crazy to me that Rockstar thought: "Well, we can't make GTA IV too fun, but we'll certainly make the DLC a lot of fun". It's just so weird that they decided to make GTA IV like that.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my time with this DLC and it feels great to be done with something that I've wanted to play for over a decade.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

I need someone to tell me if I've completed Lawnmower Simulator or not and whether it's ok to just "let go" 😂

I played the bulk of it before Xmas last year and now it's leaving game pass. I played the career mode until like the second to last prestige level, I have the best property and basically playing it became very boring with little to unlock and little more progress to be made

There is a challenge mode which I've unlocked all the missions for but I've only done a couple of the missions. I don't think it's really my bag as it wasn't as satisfying as the career mode.

Have I completed this game?! Can I add it to my list of completed games? I feel like it's contentious and ive put so much time into it that I am gutted to not add it but I've not technically completed it in my opinion so I'd feel bad about adding it.

I don't think I can add it to the list. I think it's a write off. It was a really good game but it was the last game I played before I decided to put my life through the wringer at Xmas and ended up having a few months break from gaming. I don't think I have it in me to grind through it to the very end.

See ya!

CthulhuFhtagn

technically, I have not finished 'Hades' (I haven't seen everything) but I think I'm done. it is a good game but I enjoyed playing Isaac, Dead Cells and Vampire Survivors (I think it counts) much, much more.
you probably know Curse of the Dead Gods. it is very similar to Hades and I think it is much better. Hades has a good story and characters; Curse of the Dead Gods has better weapons, upgrades and boss fights. better gameplay in general.
in these type of games, occasionally, sometimes, in some runs, you really get overpowered and it feels awesome. in Hades, I feel frustrated most of the times. upgrades and buffs -boons in this game- are there but nothing crazy. some synergies in The Binding of Isaac are unbalanced and game breaking but I don't think it's a bad thing. they are hard to find anyway.
boss fights are not fun at all. the last two are a bit unfair. I don't spoil the fights but they have huge health bars and it gets repetitive and boring.
again, Hades is a good game but not amazing or the best in the genre. I give it 6 out of 11.5.

CthulhuFhtagn

Th3solution

@ralphdibny I struggle so much with when to let go of a game that I’ve left stagnant for a while. In my mind I say I’m going to go back and complete it, but I never do. Although occasionally I have the self-awareness to say, “I’m done with this.”

Regarding your situation, I’m here to tell you “Let it go!” 😄 as you seem to have experienced the majority of the game and it grew stale for you. There’s no reason to go back. There’s no surprise twist ending, no deep philosophical lesson at the closing cut scene, no endorphin rush for besting a huge boss at the end…. It’s over, for all intents and purposes. You’re done. Check it off your list.

(Does that help? 😛)

————

@CthulhuFhtagn Interesting. That’s the first lukewarm / mediocre reception for Hades I’ve seen. I actually have it in my backlog and I always forget about it. I think I have Curse of the Dead Gods too, I think it was a PS+ game iirc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution thank you sol, I will give it up 🙂😂😅

I don't think I can put it on my list, criteria for my list is either beat campaign/career/main game or beat 100% and annoyingly while this game is essentially beat, 100% is required to beat the career mode and that last 5% or so is too much of a grind. I think if I'd have done the challenge mode, I'd be happy to say it's beat but I didn't

It's even a pain for me to give up a game early on. I got to Mission 4 on Ninja Gaiden Sigma the other day (was planning to play the whole trilogy) before deciding I was done. It was just too hard for me and I ended up dreading even turning the Xbox on to play it to the extent that I ended up hating it. I decided that life's too short!

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Yeah, the latest victims for me in the last year have been Resident Evil 4 (the old version not the remake) and Immortals Fenyx Rising. I didn’t finish either one before I got side-tracked and for some reason every time I tried to compel myself to boot either of them up, I had no excitement to play it. In the case of RE4 I was finding it too hard and in the case of Immortals I was just forgetting the controls and ran into some frustration because of too large a time lapse between sessions. They are two more (of a list of many) games that I regret not “finishing” but I’m having a blast with the games I’ve played in their stead and I suppose that’s the point, in the end — to have fun and enjoy what you’re playing. I’m trying not to feel guilty or like a failure for leaving some of these games partially done.

The other time where I’m “done with a game but have a sense of not really being done” is when I complete it through to the end and have a blast with it but am a few trophies shy from the platinum. If it’s just a few hours of additional commitment I’ll satiate my obsessive-compulsive mind and indulge in grinding the platinum out, but most of the time lately I’m leaving it and just checking the game off as ‘complete’. Rather than doing a second run I’m moving on to another game. It’s really satisfying to have a game you love be 100% complete with a platinum trophy cherry on top, but free-time doesn’t grow on trees anymore so that level of completion for me is getting more rare.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Th3solution 99.9% of gamers will forever have unfinished games that they never go back to for one reason or another. It's just a fact of gaming. I know I do, and while I do plan on going back to at least a few of them someday, I know it may or may not ever happen.

I'm surprised the controls were an issue in your return to Immortals Fenyx Rising. I find it to be a very easy game to play in that regard, especially in comparison to some other games like the two latest Zelda games that have convoluted controls in comparison. It is what it is though, and I will finish the game for you as that is the game I'm currently playing. There's no chance of me hitting the 100% mark as I rarely ever go out of my way to do that in a game, and there's borderline too much in the game for me to want to do everything. Also, games that are puzzle focused like this one or Breath of the Wild aren't ones I usually play, so leaving some of the side puzzles untouched won't be a big deal for me. I am enjoying the game though.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@KilloWertz Yeah, I really enjoyed what I played of Immortals. The game wasn’t particularly hard and it’s not like the controls are bad, but there’s an initial hour or two session every time I boot up a game like that where it takes time to re-educate and figure out what I was doing and where to go next, etc. So it’s almost like one full play session to just get my feet under me again, and when I have only 4 gaming sessions per week, it’s tough.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to try to keep my focus on one of these larger more complex RPG type games at a time and use the linear or simplistic games for the in-between games if I want a diversion. I think it might have been FF7R Intermission that I started concurrently for whatever reason and that alongside Immortals was a little confusing.

Heck, I’ve been playing Jedi Survivor exclusively for the last week and last night I still almost died when I reflexively kept hitting the R1 to attack (which it’s not, it’s the ‘square’ button, R1 pulls up a miniature menu for some extra skills) because Dark Souls had ingrained using R1 in my brain so intensely. 😅

So for these longer bigger games I think I need to try to focus better on them, so long as I’m still enjoying them that is.

Good to see that you’re liking Immortals though. I liked the change in tone to the sillier comedic style and I found the open world pretty engaging. How does it compare to Horizon FW for you?

woollypump

I finished my first playthrough of the Demons Souls remake last night. Really enjoyed it. Almost certainly doesn't need to be said again, but it looks and sounds phenomenal. I had played ~50% of it last year before getting distracted by other games. I will definitely replay, probably soon, but can't see myself hunting for the platinum with all the world tendency stuff.

woollypump

ralphdibny

@Th3solution totally get that with RE4. When I replayed it a few years ago (first time since it launched on GameCube) there was a long stretch toward the end that I had totally forgotten that killed the pacing. I did stick it out though but it did tarnish my memory of the game a bit and knocked it out of my "favourite games ever" list.

See ya!

CthulhuFhtagn

@Th3solution yes, Curse of the Dead Gods was one of May 2022 PS+ games. 1 year ago!
I think the praise and game of the year nominations elevated my expectation a bit too high. to be honest I didn't enjoy Bastion and Transistor. they were pretty, fast and responsive but something was missing. I felt the same about Hades. but you know, opinions and tastes. I hope you enjoy it.

CthulhuFhtagn

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic