Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 5,530

R1spam

@KilloWertz I played as FemShep and actually struggle with all of the promo material with maleshep. I was a goody two-shoes, except with three which forced me to make some really morally grey choices! I'm looking forward to trying the legendary edition to try be more renegade and if I'm honest, more promiscuous (soz Liara but I need to see other people).

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

colonelkilgore

Just finished Doom 2016, such a great game. Done pretty much everything during my playtyrough, so just need to playthrough mission 1 on ultra-nightmate difficulty and that'll be the plat.

**** DLC!

sorteddan

Good work @colonelkilgore. Glad you enjoyed it. Told you it was ace.
That last trophy tested me most - considered putting joypad through a wall maybe, hope it's less problematic for you

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

colonelkilgore

@Sorteddan cheers buddy, yeah it was a game that completely flew under my radar until speaking to yourself and a few others on here. Top game!

Yeah I reckon this last trophy (A Toe into Madness) is gonna be a proper test of the skills I’ve developed this last week. I have no illusions that I’ll fly through it… but hopefully I’ll get to the end of the mission, by hook or by crook.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Kidfried @ralphdibny @nessisonett ...and that's no more mentally-unhinged female siblings of my parents for me, as I completed Psychonauts this afternoon.

As much as I found it charming and frequently funny, it did start to grate a little towards the end, and I felt like some of the later levels outstayed their welcome. Once I'd figured out where it was headed, I just kinda wanted it to hurry up and get there, y'know? Although some of the delay was my fault, as I found a couple of its parts quite challenging (particularly during the last level) and when I get frustrated with a game, I get stupid, which just exacerbates the problem.

But I grew really fond of Raz and some of the other kids, as well as Linda and Mr. Pokeylope, and so I'll be curious to see where the forthcoming sequel takes them... just not right away, I don't think. Not unless any of you fine folks suddenly start singing its praises.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Well done! I’m currently on the Mexican themed level and I’m also feeling that I’m getting a bit fed up since I’m near the end! The camp stuff is brilliant but the later levels are just one after the other and it drains you a bit.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett As much as I adored the aesthetic of that level, you're absolutely around the same point where I started to want it over with. The two levels preceding it (the theatre and the board game) did it no favours. Those were perhaps my least favourite of the entire game.

I don't mean to disparage your skill (or patience) but seriously, I wish you luck with the last level.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I’ve heard horror stories about the Meat Circus for years, not particularly looking forward to it! The platforming and combat can be a bit wonky at times so hopefully I get through alright 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Hey, if I can do it, you should be fine!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger @nessisonett nice one on beating it and reaching the second to last level respectively!!

I think I was different in that I found the camp sections to be a bit of a long introduction and I thought the game really shined in the later levels from Milkman onwards. I much preferred that you had to put some thought in to them

I didn't have too much trouble with meat circus but I did get all the collectibles so I was levelled up as much as I could be

Did you get a look in at the PX club Rog? I wrote up some fairly detailed bits on both Psychonauts and Rhombus of Ruin. Im happy to copy and paste them here if you are interested and/or have an aversion to the colour green 😅

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Thanks! Thinking about it, I reckon the Milkman Conspiracy was my favourite level. I loved the deadpan humour of the undercover agents ("I am a member of the road crew. This is my road crew sign. I am working on the road.") and its warped geometry was bizarre enough to be interesting, yet simple enough to follow without getting all turned around.

Now that I've beaten it, I did read through the Pure Xbox topic over breakfast this morning, and found some of the thoughts quite interesting (and not just because the Milkman Conspiracy is your favourite level, as well; seems to be the midpoint where our individual opinions, travelling in different directions, crossed over on common ground). I think my problem is that, when the credits rolled, I didn't have anything to say beyond my "yep, I cleared it" post up there, which is why you won't be seeing it star in one of my trademark mini-essay reviews. I hate this turn of phrase, but it was what it was. A fun distraction and a nice little slice of gaming history, with all the good and not-so-good such trips back in time often entail. It's not like I've changed my desktop wallpaper to a picture of Raz or downloaded the soundtrack or anything!

Was sorry to see you lost some progress back there. I'm not sure I'd have replayed so much, especially if I was going for 100% completion of all levels, like you were. You obviously care a lot about the game, which is awesome! Also appreciated your write-up of the VR semi-sequel, as well.

Oh, and by the way, according to the PS4 port's trophies, you can actually reach Level 101. I think the trophy is called "Math is Hard" or something, so it's either acknowledging a glitch, or there's a secret extra level you can attain from somewhere. Just thought that might help clear up the discrepancy you mentioned in your closing thoughts. I didn't get it, as I was Level 59 when I finished.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger the agents were quite funny! It's weird and it's the same with the old LucasArts games but it takes a while to adjust to the humour. I find that with a lot of things though, it can take me a while to get into the right headspace to laugh at something.

Another interesting thing is that when you use Clairvoyance on characters and look at yourself, they all see you differently. I think I just wanted to get to the end of the game though so I didn't try everybody but what the dogs in the bull ring level saw me as was quite funny.

I wouldn't say I necessarily mega cared about the game. I just think it's a lot better than a lot of the games I've played for that game club. But I do have a personal affinity for 3D platformers and platformers in general. I struggle to remember right now what games we've played for the PX Game club but yeah, Psychonauts was probably tied second along with Hellblade. Ori and the Blind Forest was my favourite and that was an absolute breath of fresh air, it was a Donkey Kong level platformer in my opinion.

I don't doubt that there is a level 101 but the only thing I had left in it that I could clear up was the harder variations on the punching mini game. I suspect you get the 100th level for doing 5 difficulties of that and maybe another level for doing even harder ones? God knows lol

What's your criteria for writing a review btw? I think I've seen you write reviews of both good and bad games before. Is it just because you lost interest toward the end that it doesn't fit the criteria?

I'm not sure how much id pay for the game. Possibly close-ish full price if it was brand new but almost 20 years later, I think I'd pay maybe £4-£8 to buy this game if it wasn't on game pass. I'm looking forward to Psychonauts 2 but again it's another game pass game, I probably would wait for a discount if it wasn't on the service

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny That old LucasArts sense of humour (good description) is my kinda thing, but too much of it can really grate after a while. It's why I expected to blast through Psychonauts but I ended up playing it in much, much smaller bursts (I think Kid said something similar about having to take several runs at it, in order to get through). And yes, I did use Clairvoyance! Not all the time, but there was a trophy associated with "seeing yourself through the eyes of many others" so I spammed it enough.

In some ways, Psychonauts reminded me of Concrete Genie, although I can't say why. Maybe it's simply the idea of playing as a kid with an oddly-shaped head?

According to a trophy guide I just looked up, you're right, you attain Level 101 by clearing Oleander's punching mini-game after collecting every single collectible in the game. You must've missed a couple of figments somewhere because, according to said guide, you can get to Level 100 without it.

Not sure I really have a set criteria for reviewing a game. I've just got to want to, which usually means I think I've got something worthwhile to say (whether I actually do or not is up to you, dear reader). Like I said, I got to the end of Psychonauts and just thought "yeah, wasn't bad" as I deleted it from my console's hard drive, and it's tough to spin such sentiment out into 2,000 words sometimes. I don't feel like I could've (or would've) said anything interesting. Which isn't the game's fault in the slightest and, if you twisted my arm for a number, I'd most likely score it a solid seven.

Same as you, I'm gonna read the sequel's reviews and user impressions with interest, but it's likely that I won't play it for myself until it inevitably appears in a sale somewhere down the road.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I definitely didn't miss any collectibles, either the game glitched or there is some disparity between versions of the game. You can check the mental world collectibles from the collective consciousness and they are represented by lights around each door. For the real world collectibles, I visited every location and checked the notebook multiple times. Nothing missing unfortunately 😟. I could post some screenshots to prove it but I'm sure you believe me anyway 😅 lol.

Not sure if there would be disparity between the versions we played though as I assume the PS4 version is a "PS2 Classic" and the one I played was the original Xbox version through BC on Xbox one so I'd expect them to be the same. The only ones I would expect to be different in any way would be the PSN/XBLA versions on PS3/360 and the PC version 🤔. Weird!

See ya!

colonelkilgore

Just finished the main story of Watch Dogs and for me was a better mainline narrative than that of its sequel. Got all the online stuff done on the weekend too, so just all the side stuff now, of which there is a hell of a lot. It’s actually fun to play though so the final straight for the plat shouldn’t be too bad.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore It’s not often that I hear preference for the first Watch Dogs. So if I ever wanted to try the series (big ‘if’ there) would you recommend to start with the first game or the second? I don’t think you’ve played Legion yet, so I guess there’s that one. My general impression was that the second game was the only one worthwhile. Now you’ve shaken my preconceptions.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution so I would probably still suggest you start with the sequel as I would say it's more 'fun', it's funnier, more visually appealing locale and there are just more options available to you as the player.

I wouldn't say the first game is better than 2, just has a better, more memorable main narrative. I'd also say the gun-play is far better in the original... and probably the online contingent too.

What I would say is, if you're ever feeling like playing a GTA-style openworld game they're both decent options imo. And I'd honestly still put a lot of the negativity directed at the original down to to the furore at the games release, sparked by the lies and over-promises.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore @Th3solution I found the first Watchdogs a boring experience overall. Boring main character, the city was boring and the stuff you do in the game was boring. I think I gave up after about 10 - 15 hours as I was so bored of it lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Hmm, very weird indeed. I do, of course, believe you about your 100% completion stats, so maybe it's something they tweaked for the re-release when they added trophies?

@colonelkilgore Glad you ended up enjoying Watch_Dogs a lot more this time through! Best of luck with those last few trophies. Maybe the story is one that's actually gotten better with age? Or perhaps you just really wanted to like it, after seeing it get dumped on for years?

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder I gave up a long time before that last time (maybe an hour or two in).

@RogerRoger I honestly think my reaction to pretty much anything (these days at least) is heavily affected by my expectations going in. I was really iffy about starting Watch Dogs again and only forced myself to do it as I'd agreed to help a friend do an online trophy... if it wasn't for that I'd have started something else I reckon. So my expectations were suoer-low (where as they were quite high in 2014) and I just kept feeling pleasantly surprised.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic