Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 5,530

Thrillho

Essentially, Majima is the best!

Untitled

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Ralizah @Thrillho Well, this has certainly been an education. My gentlemanly nature wants me to say "thank you" for all of this information you've provided me with, but I'm concerned that it'd look like an endorsement of such madness.

Ah, who am I kidding? It all looks glorious. I wish I could play them for myself now!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

I finished Guacamelee 2 last night with everything other than the trophy for replaying in hard.

A good fun game with a (purposefully) silly story but Hollow Knight has massively upped the bar for these sorts of games now, even if it isn’t quite trying to be the same thing.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

Finished off the story in Spider-Man last night. What a great ending which are sometimes difficult to land. On a technical level I thought it was really impressive, I don't recall any frame rate dips or anything like that during any of the action.

I did have few issues with some of the side activities, but this did not effect my overall enjoyment of the game too much.

I will continue playing the game and mop the rest of the stuff on the map. I won't be trying to get gold medals on the challenges, as I when I tried I found myself getting frustrated with the game. I may even get the dlc at some point the next time it on sale.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Good to hear the story finally resonated with you. It is much more compelling toward the end.
Regarding the technical performance, I agree that the game ran really well and despite the speed of the action and the multiple effects that there was nary a hiccup ... but I did have a really bad section of frame rate drop that nearly made the game unplayable at one point. There is a side activity (I believe it’s one of the lab stations) where you have to swing from tower to tower to reboot some kind of system, I forget the details, but the catch is that there are electrical fields that ascend and descend randomly while your swinging around and if you’re caught in the field you lose health quickly and lose power too I think. Anyways, there a lot of lightning type electrical effects during the mission and it became so stuttering for me that I was almost watching a slide show and I kept dying. I finally had to search a YouTube video on how exactly to jump and where to go because I was moving around blindly due to the technical performance not keeping up. It was really weird how the whole game was fine except this one mission. I wonder if anyone else encounter that or if it’s just my system or something. I’m using a vanilla PS4 so maybe the Pro handled that section better.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

So I finished this indie game Thomas was Alone. I guess my feelings went a little up and down on the game:

• I already played it on PC, but I hardly ever finish a game on PC, so decided to double dip.
  • The game is hardly as deep, story wise, as the small hype around it back in the day would have you believe. It's neither super philosophical nor a very personal story. A master of none.
  • The game actually looks super cool. Yes, it's basic, but the more you'll play, the more you'll start to appreciate it.
  • The jumping is what you'd expect from a Unity game: weak. And that's a problem for a game all about jumping.
  • The music is way better than expected.
  • I don't like the "witty narrator" type. Heck, I don't like narrators too much at all.
  • I really like when games just have levels you have to beat. Makes you feel like you've achieved something with every gaming session, no matter how short.

I guess I just wanted a simple and cool platformer with a unique personality. This game both succeeded and failed on that aspect.

I saw Push Square users rated this one 6.7/10. I think that's fair.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I remember that side activity and didn't have any performance issues when playing that section. I'm using a bog standard ps4 too. I have upgraded the internal hdd to a combi ssd/sata drive, which does improve load times and stuff so that could be why.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

HallowMoonshadow

Glad to hear you enjoyed Spider-Man @JohnnyShoulder ... I think the game takes a while to build up but it does stick the landing quite well. I know it's basically a rehash of Spidey 2 but Otto's arc was still pretty good even if most know the outcome. I really liked Mr Negative too as a villian

I think I played most of the sciencey stations @Th3solution and I don't recall any problems either on my PS4 slim.

Though it was a while back!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

Yes! Nail on the head there@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy, was gonna mention that but ran out of time at work earlier. Thought the arc between those two was spot on.

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha thanks @JohnnyShoulder!

I had no idea whom Mr Negative was before this as he's a recent comic creation but I'd happily take more of him in a film or the eventual sequel which'll probably include Venom

Only thing that annoyed me in Spidey was MJ really. Said it before when mookysam posted his thoughts on this a while back but she just really got on my nerves with her almost deathseeker like stubborness of "But I'm a journalist!" to run into trouble 😅

Miles also felt a bit... there. I don't think he was distinguished enough from Peter really in terms of personality.

Plus I love Mysterio so whilst the cameo in the college party mission was nice... I'd love more of ol' fishbowl in the sequel... Even just a spidey suit like it!

But otherwise yeah... I really enjoyed it. Doesn't break the open world mould but it does everything rather well otherwise

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Kidfried Thomas Was Alone made me care about a bunch of featureless colored shapes and see them as unique characters with interesting personalities. So I count that as a narrative success.

Subtract the wonderful narration, though, and you're left with an incredibly basic and generic platformer.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah I see your point in regards to MJ, she does seem to have a bit of a death wish. She complains about being a damsel in distress, well stop sneaking into bases full of armed private soldiers.

Did not know anything about Mr Negative either and I only found about Miles Morales from watching Into the Spider-Verse. I would love to see a game in that kind of art style and different Spider heroes. Any game with Spider-Ham would be better. I assume they wanted this to be Peter Parker's story so maybe that is why Miles wasn't really given much to do.

If the post credit scenes are anything to go by he will probably have a bigger part to play in the sequel, along with Green Goblin (and the mask that MJ found in Osborne's penthouse).

DerMeister

After dealing with a week of sickness, I've managed to power through and finish Horizon Zero Dawn, and my replay of Persona 4.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

RogerRoger

@DerMeister Aloy cures all. Seriously, hope you're feeling better!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

I don't know if this counts as beating a game, but I finally got through the Painted World of Ariandel DLC for Dark Souls III. After days of being stuck on that fight with Sister Friede her ass is finally grass. It feels good to be past that boss. She's been haunting my every waking moment. That's why I've not posted much on here for the last few days, to be honest. I've been stuck on that boss. I've been seeing her everywhere I went. Pretty sure she was on the checkout in Tesco the other day. Anyway, she's dead now. DEAD I TELL YOU

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

@kyleforrester87 Basically what happened was:

• carried straight on into the Ringed City DLC
  • went round the first corner
  • got shot by a load of invisible archers
  • decided to give it a break for a bit.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic