Forums

Topic: PS Vita in troubled times 2017

Posts 1 to 20 of 30

Highlander21

The PS Vita demise seems to be further upon the western gamer with little new offerings or life expectancy.

Sony has received a lot of criticism however I believe reviewers have a lot to blame.
As a lot of the games on the Vita are directly compared with fully fledged console comparisons. So if course the Vita can not compete with the graphical technology but it was never designed to. An example is Resident Evil 2 for PS Vita which is compared to the ps4 title from which it can never measure up to. But is enjoyable on the vita, Surely Vita games should be compared to other Vita games to give a fair and balanced view of how they entertain and perform.
Any Thoughts ?

Highlander21

kyleforrester87

Vita in troubled times 2017? Try Vita in troubled times 2014 bro. With regard to RER2 being reviewed with the PS4 version in mind of course it's relevant.. if the Vita can't handle the game as intended it shouldn't be on it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

I'm still loving my Vita and wish it was still being supported but at the same time, it won't die for me until my handset does!

I'm interested in the Switch to see how it does as this will dictate the future of mobile console style gaming.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

belmont

The Vita is my favourite piece of hardware and a "natural" evolution of the PSP and former handhelds. Suriously I love the form factor, the screen, the OS, the jrpgs... Too bad it become a niche only console. After all those years the memory cards are still super expensive.

What amazes me is that everyone seems to think that the Vita is dead and has no games but in fact several from small indies to jap games get released in the store each week. Seems that those who somehow have it still buy games, myself included.

Currently playing Atelier Shellie Plus and World of Final Fantasy. I have already bought the two Cold Steel games and have them ready in my memory card and look forward to Atelier Firis and Danganronpa V3 among others.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Rudy_Manchego

@get2sammyb Yup - as long as the store remains open, I'll be buying stuff for it.

I don't play my Vita as much as my PS4 but the idea of going away without a gaming device is too much to bear. I'd have to talk to my family and everything...

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

johncalmc

It's been in troubled times since about four minutes after it released.

No matter which way you slice it, it's Sony's fault the Vita failed.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

The Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware, and it still gets plenty of releases... just very niche ones. And most of the people who own one now are more into these kinds of niche games than the big blockbusters that regularly hit PS4.

It's sad to see Sony abandoning the handheld market like this, but I suppose it was inevitable considering how Westernized the Playstation brand has become.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

KitsuneNight

Game over man, game over.
The only thing I wish, was that Sony white listed more games for the TV and oh look another flock of flying pigs

KitsuneNight

DeWiz

All good things come to an end. Vita has plenty of games, more than enough to make it worthwhile. I loved my time with it and had more than my money's worth so no complaints.
I'd still be playing now apart from a broken left stick... I changed it out for a new one but still not working.
If I see a replacement vita for a reasonable price then I'm back in for sure... Still got a backlog of stuff I'd like to play.

Fair enough, it didn't churn out console experiences on a handheld like we hoped for, but it did, and still does, offer plenty of quality games that are well worth playing. I feel privileged to have ridden the vita train. If nothing else then for killzone mercenaries, uncharted and p4g!

DeWiz

PSN: GOWDeWiz

themcnoisy

2017 has been all about the Vita for me. Dariusburst, International Snooker, Geometry Wars 3, Final Fantasy 10 and now P4G. I have no complaints.

The best thing about the vita is the whole collection is just about doable as a game collector.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

I haven't touched my Vita in months, and honestly don't expect that to change until Danganronpa V3 releases. Then I'll spend roughly a week doing little more than working, sleeping, eating, and playing on the Vita.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy We're only a month or two into 2017 to be fair. I turned my Vita on on Tuesday and checked the store, there was literally nothing for me :/ I had a good 2014-2015 with my Vita though so guess I can't complain.

kyleforrester87

Mahe

PS Vita's trouble was that it was competing against 3DS and 2DS, and those were better systems, especially 2DS. But now Nintendo doesn't have a direct successor to the 2DS/3DS line accounced, so there might be an opening for Sony. Those of us handheld gamers who have been playing on 2DS or 3DS might be interested in a new Sony offering more than we were during the Vita years. I know I'd be interested if the rumors of a new Sony handheld (detailed in the other thread) came true.

Mahe

Mr_Humpf

I still play my Vita a lot and have quite a backlog to work through. I'm enjoying Dragon Quest Builders and then I've got World of Final Fantasy, Dragon's Crown (back on PSN) and Ys Memories of Celcetta to name a few. Sure I wish the Vita was more successful - that would mean more games - but I've always been a very happy Vita owner. It caters very well for the type of games that I enjoy.

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 Yeah its a strange one, Im quite into anime - so many of the games are of interest to me. I think playing through Dariusburst and Persona which are both endless in many ways, has been an enjoyable experience this last month. Nothing can compare to the bombast of the TitanFall campaign, the Holy Ship moments in FF15 or the mesmeric charms of the Witness on home console, but those 2 Vita games encapsulate why the system needs to exist.

What day did you get upto in Persona 4 Kyle? I cant believe you don't rate it.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy Ahhh I can't even remember, I think I was up to the third dungeon but not into Summer yet? Around 20 hours or so. It was the end of 2015 to be fair so kind of hazey.

I dunno why I didn't like it, I guess it's just the simulation aspect doesn't do it for me. I'm playing Nier at the moment and can't get enough of it (22 hours this weekend :/) and FF is my favourite franchise, so although I love JRPGs I guess I don't love ALL JRPGs haha.

Still I'm almost certainly going to get P5 as the darker vibe is kind of interesting and the dungeons look to be a lot better.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 the relationships become loads better just after Kanji joins the group. Literally laugh out loud moments, so funny. But yeah the dungeons suck. If they were 4/5 floors that would be fine but they go on forever.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.