Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 1,271

themcnoisy

Horizon Zero Dawn is awesome, I understand it may not have the most awesome story ever compared to a book. For a game though, I think it stands up very well and leaves the door open for sequels (or prequels). The graphics are impressive to say the least.

Yes it has issues, some of the side quests leave a lot to be desired, the odd invisible wall and not being able to climb everything. Otherwise it's great.

I think a lot boils down to open world fatigue. When I started BOTW coming on the back of the likes of HZD, Yakuza and MGS5 I couldn't enjoy it. That also applies to the Witcher 3. I couldn't be bothered and had no motivation to progress after the first few hours. We have had so many openworld games the last couple of gens it occasionally feels like you are playing the same game. Subconsciously the curiosity wanes and the dopamine hits fail to register. This applies to other genres too.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Sure did. I mean, I’d use the bow too, but I found it so much easier to do “silent strike” or just smack them around with the spear. Eventually the larger and stronger enemies necessitate ranged tactics, but I relied on spear and stealth attacks way too much early on.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Jaz007 Aloy isn't great. Standard christlike character archetype, and I didn't really grow attached to her over the course of the game. They could, frankly, have made the sequel about someone else entirely, and I wouldn't have minded.

But I can say the same about Geralt in TW3, and Link in BotW.

@Th3solution I think melee combat is an area where the sequel can and should innovate, as it was a bit simple and lacking in depth compared to the variety of ranged options available to the player.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Trisque

Wow, thank you all for the feedback! I think that I'd like to give HZD a go one more time based on what you all have told me. If I still can't enjoy it, then maybe it just isn't the game for me.

@Roger Roger I don't normally do second playthroughs because I like to complete a game's main story and then consider it "finished." I may replay a game if I really enjoyed (such as Portal 2), but normally I just move on to the next game. Still, if that ending is really exceptional...

Trisque

RogerRoger

@Trisque That's cool, replays aren't for everyone (which is why I was cautious with that advice). If you do ever make it to the big finale, I'd love to know what you think of it, good or bad, but there's no shame in walking away from a game if you're not feeling it. Forget about what the critics and masses might say otherwise. Life's too short; play what you enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@themcnoisy I forgot about the sidequests. Whoever decided loot boxes should be a reward in that game is insane. Horizon has some of the worst quest reward of any game I’ve ever played. I wish I was exaggerating.
Funnily enough, this does make me want to play some more of the game enjoy the combat/hunting, though.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 Lootboxes?

I can't remember the rewards, like at all! I can remember the overall world and trying to take on that massive Hawk in the mountains. As for opening rewards, I have no idea. Did the equipment come in normal, rare and epic variants or something like that?

nessisonett

@themcnoisy You’d get sh*te reward boxes that contained a random amount of materials. It was.. inconsequential at best.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett A roll of copper wire and a bag of bolts for Aloy for defeating that 20ft robot Dino. Yeah, thanks for that, ya bozo.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

@themcnoisy You got crates of different levels that have random materials. They’re so stupid they don’t even feel worth opening. There was no good feeling or consistency to it as the fact that you can’t remember them shows lol.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@nessisonett @Jaz007 @JohnnyShoulder ahhh yes, I recall now.

It's weird actually games from the PS1 and earlier I remember a lot. More recent games wade into this middle ground of generecism. So similar. I struggle to remember game mechanics. Probably why I enjoy the likes of The Witness, Fez and Rocket League so much.

Ralizah

@Jaz007 lmao By the time I was done with the game, I had about a dozen boxes that just stayed in my inventory because I was already maxed out on the stuff inside of them. Nobody ever gave me Blaze canisters, despite half the weapons eating through my supply of the stuff like a fat boy in a candy shop. Although harvest arrows + abusing the blast wire challenge made the stuff easy enough to grind out.

I will say this, though: no game, before or sense, has had quest rewards that feel as poorly balanced or pointless as the ones in The Witcher 3. There is zero sense in completing non-main story related side-quests in that game and, past a certain point, zero reason to engage in monster contracts.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Jaz007

@Ralizah I’ve played over 100H and while gear rewards are kinda stupid, money feels just tight enough that it’s a decent reward and you feel like you need it. The quests are also a million times more interesting than Horizon’s too.

Jaz007

nessisonett

@Jaz007 Yeah, I played every side quest in the Witcher 3 for story reasons. Rewards were mostly useless but they were 99% brilliant in terms of the actual story. Horizon had default Sim #5 badly lip sync telling you to go to a map marker so they can be largely useless against the enemies you fight.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett The lip syncing in Horizon makes Aloy look more robotic than Markus, Kara and Connor from Detroit Become Human, who are literally androids

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

sentiententity

An opinion of mine is that many indie games are pointlessly difficult to the point of being a bad game design choice.

Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, and others I can't remember at this time are within this description.

Being "old school" is not good reasoning as old games were designed to suck down quarters or artificially make very short games appear longer. We've moved on from that.

I'm not saying designers are obligated to make things accessible to general audiences. But games are for fun and leisure, and to be praised as a masterpiece and design choices that result in absurd roadblocks take it down a few notches to "average" quality. Not bad, but not successful in all aspects necessary.

Like an eccentric director who sticks annoying crap in an otherwise good movie.

Rant over. Thank you for your time.

sentiententity

BowTiesAreCool

ALOY HAS THE EXACT SAME FACE AS ZAC EFFRON

Now you can't unsee it, sorry.

BowTiesAreCool

nessisonett

@sentiententity I can’t say Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter fall into that category but Cuphead definitely leans slightly too hard into frustration at times. I think people get different things out of games and personally I quite like a challenge. That being said, I like it when games are fair and when devs tip the scales for difficulty’s sake, I do not like that at all.

Kidfried

@nessisonett @sentiententity Cuphead is super fair. You can learn any boss' pattern, and then you can beat them. Bosses always do the same amount of damage, so it's not like they have cheap one hit kills or anything. With items you can tweak the kind of battle you want. And there is not a single bullet or hit you can't avoid at any given moment. And the battles never last longer than three minutes. Even the hitboxes are quite fair and easy to learn.

I have a hard time, a really hard time naming anything that isn't fair about the game.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Opinion: 70 euro for a new game is a fine price.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic