Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 1,285

Anti-Matter

Barbie games or Fashion games on PS5 will be the best thing for me.
Bring more girlie games for kids on PS5.

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, okay. In that case then yeah, it'd be odd not to include a date!

My enthusiasm for American culture has sufficiently re-wired my brain to accommodate and anticipate the month-day-year format, but I'll admit that I prefer it when trailers, posters or articles write it out longform. There's far less potential for confusion when "11.12" becomes "November 12".

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution How does that tie in with video games?

And do mean the system that originated in France in the 1790's and only three counties in the word do not currently use (according to Wikipedia)? But in my experience, everyone and everywhere uses the metric system that I'm aware of in the UK. There maybe the odd shop that uses it here, but that was an age ago.

@RogerRoger Yeah all that does my head in slightly. I found myself using some of their sayings and stuff, but had reel it back in as I was getting on my own nerves.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder Americanisms are incredibly annoying - "a couple hours" instead of "a couple of hours" being my current bugbear. Also British English speakers who use "y'all" or "s'all" or "coulda/woulda/shoulda" or "kinda/sorta" ought to be deported.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Well, then I apologise for any and all which invariably riddle my posts around here.

That being said, in defence of the American date format, it is way more logical than ours. It presents the more pertinent information first, as there's only one of each month every year, whereas there are up to twelve different 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, etc. so it's more important to get the ballpark up front, then narrow things down from there. In conversation, if somebody said to me "it's out on the twelfth" I'd probably have to follow-up with the question, "The twelfth of what?" Leading with the month is much more efficient.

This is, of course, being pedantic in the extreme but hey, whilst we're on the subject and all that. In any case, the English language is constantly evolving and becoming increasingly homogenised anyway, so it won't be long before all these lil' quirks are eliminated and we're all speakin' proper, innit.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@LN78 I just missed responding to this within a couple hours...

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Don't know about all that, it just a preference and what I'm used to.

No need to apologise, it doesn't really bother when other people do it, but more so when I see it creeping into my everyday language.

@LN78 Bugs me when I do a spell check and it brings up the American spelling instead of the UK version. Some words like 'disk' and 'disc' I get confused which is is which.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KilloWertz

@LN78 Kinda sorta, y'all

Oh, wait, I can use them since I'm an American.

nomither6

@LN78 that’s all american south lingo , im sure the east coast of america is more your type , word up son

nomither6

Ralizah

"Y'all" was being used in English poetry well before the States were even a thing. We just popularized it (by 'we,' I mean white southern and black Americans).

As to dates, if you write out a date, it'd follow the "[month] [day], [year]" format. If someone asks you to specify a date, would you say "1st April," or "April 1st?" Looking at it this way, our format is more intuitive and in line with how people would actually speak.

As for American spelling variants, you can thank us for cleaning up the unnecessary surplus of letters in your words.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KilloWertz

@LN78 It's not all my fault. I don't actually say y'all since I'm not from the south. So, I guess once again... only kinda sorta.

RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger On the other hand, we do owe an apology to the world for inflicting the word "irregardless" on the English lexicon. At least until someone dives around in databases a few years from now and discovers that it's another stupid Americanism that somehow originated among 17th century poets.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LN78

@Ralizah Yet Independence Day is almost always referred to as "The Fourth of July". 🤣.

LN78

Buizel

Have to agree on the American dates - the simple solution would be longform as @RogerRoger suggests. I remember thinking Metroid Dread was coming out on 10th August at first, but it turned out to be 8th October (still very close after the reveal).

@Ralizah No joke, but in the UK we actually say "1st of January" rather than January 1st, so it works out for us.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Mikey856

@Th3solution Lost Legacy better than Uncharted 4???? Now THATS an unpopular opinion, surely

Mikey856

KilloWertz

@Mikey856 It's not that unpopular. I think so, and I know of at least a couple of other people that agree.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic