Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 841 to 860 of 982

Th3solution

With the inclusion of Sims 4 on PS Plus this month, it got me thinking about other games that we, the hardcore, often turn our noses up at, and it prompted me to question myself: what games do I enjoy that might be considered “filthy casual” games, or just bad games in general? It’s a sub-topic of “Unpopular Gaming Opinions” so I figured I’d pose the question here.

Are there any games you’re embarrassed that you enjoy? Guilty pleasures, critically panned, mobile cash grabs, etc.?

For me it’s the Telltale games. They are so cut-and-paste and offer little to no gameplay, but I still enjoy them, I’m embarrassed to say. I’ve played about 6-7 of them, I think, and still enjoy them. I enjoy a good walking sim in general, even though most people say they are boring and stale. I don’t know why, but I find them relaxing and engaging.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution the Senran Kagura series, yeah it's full of fan service and i wouldn't want to play it infront of other people but under all that is a pretty fun beat em up

oh and the Hyper Dimension Neptunia series, pretty fun JRPG's even if the premise is a little strange

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution Star Trek: Encounters (PS2). The theme pasted on top of what is largely a budget twin stick shooter completely won me over. Its not a good game, it abuses the theme, but I love it.

And probably Michael Jackson: The Experience HD (Vita). Been a while since I played it, but its a good rhythm game with incredible music! But also Michael Jackson 😂

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

themcnoisy

@Th3solution
Enigmatis the ghosts of maple creek.

It's a hidden object point and click. I enjoyed my time with it so much I bought the sequel (which is rubbish). Maybe I was in the right frame of mind, picked it up on the store for £3 or so change in my wallet.

It's very chilled, the location map is relatively small, the puzzles are decent and the story is enjoyable. The hidden object bits in between are the weakest part of the game. I would recommend it! Just make sure it's the only one you play the length of the game is perfect.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

nessisonett

@Th3solution Project X Zone on 3DS is a car crash of an SRPG but all the characters together in one game is still pretty cool. I’m a sucker for rhythm games so probably the Miku games as well, considering I genuinely don’t really get the whole Miku thing. I just like the gameplay.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

Are there any games you’re embarrassed that you enjoy? Guilty pleasures, critically panned, mobile cash grabs, etc.?

Um... almost everything I play?

Especially the "critically panned" bit. Such is the curse of a licenced game junkie / Sonic the Hedgehog fanboy but hey, at least I'm having fun, right?

To keep things simple, however, I'll agree with @KALofKRYPTON and say Star Trek: Encounters.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@Th3solution I'm not embarrassed to play anything. Entertainment is entertainment, and doesn't require any mental gymnastics to justify.

Putting that aside, while I typically avoid "casual" games like the plague, I LOVE Peggle. Love love love it. Fully completed the game on my 360. Played it to death on my laptop. And, if I'm being BRUTALLY honest, I can't deny that getting to play Peggle 2 was one of my motivations for buying a PS4. It's obviously one of my Platinums now. If a Peggle 3 ever releases, I'll be buying it.

With that said, the mobile game ruined the game design to 'encourage' the purchasing of microtransactions, so screw that noise!

It's also probably worth mentioning that I really liked Gal Gun: Double Peace. I believe the PS4 version got a... 3/10 on pushsquare? It's a deeply stupid game, but also a very fun and well-designed rail shooter.

The sequel wasn't nearly as much fun, unfortunately.

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

DOOM 3: BFG Edition (PC)

Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)

PSN: Ralizah

redd214

@Ralizah Peggle 2 is sublime! Absolutely loved getting the Platinum in that game. Definitely don't play many games in that genre but got it on sale for like 3 bucks and figured what the heck. Fell in love with it as well.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Ralizah

@redd214 The gameplay loop is crack. I can spend hours trying to perfect a level. Also really enjoy the various powers each character can give you, and there's a not shallow level of strategy that goes into mastering the different abilities and recognizing which ones are proper for mastering a given level.

Also purchased and completed the DLC, of course. I wish they'd release more.

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

redd214

@Ralizah yeah I was surprised by the amount of strategy involved. I remember a few stages took me hours to beat lol. Hope we get more too, I'd even double dip on a Switch version of 2 as it would be a perfect game to play handheld. But alas EA

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Kidfried

I really tried Peggle, and Peggle 2. But it just seems I don't understand it. I'm probably missing something, but everytime I play, it feels just so shallow.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried I mean, it is and it isn't.

It is in the sense that the game, at bottom, is about shooting balls at pegs and watching them bounce around until they reach the bottom.

It isn't in the sense that mastering the game requires an understanding of timing, how to adequately angle shots to establish or maintain high multipliers, how to properly utilize your power-ups, how to strategically target certain parts of the field to accomplish certain goals, etc.

It's not a super deep game or anything, though. At bottom, it is basically Pachinko: The Video Game. That either appeals to you or it doesn't, I think.

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

LieutenantFatman

I'm surprised we haven't had Peggle 3, that would be fun. Maybe the 2nd one didn't sell enough?

LieutenantFatman

Ralizah

EA is too busy bleeding people dry with the unfair mobile game to actually publish another real sequel.

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I've had a think and I'm not sure if I class any games I play as guilty pleasures. I'll have a look over the games I've played, but I don't totally get what there is to be ashamed of.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

That reminds me. I've owned this game for years and never played it. For shame~

(possibly NSFW)

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

nessisonett

@Ralizah That’s what you call tactical thumb placement.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Ralizah

I wish I'd owned this in college when I was taking that psychology class where the professor had us go out and do something weird in public so that we could record the reactions.

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I think around here (the circle of trust that is the Push Square forums) there is no judgement and we all realize that this is a hobby done for fun and to each their own. I think we rib each other in good natured fun, but most of us are cool with whatever anyone else wants to play or watch. But there are certain games with a stigma, and that the average outsider would scoff at. For example, someone out there on this forum plays Fortnite 40 hours a week and has spent $500 on Fortnite DLC bundles and skins but is ashamed to admit it. I know you’re out there somewhere! Who are you?! Epic games is making billions somehow! 🤨

It’s kinda like how no one will admit that they eat at McDonalds because it’s considered so classless, yet somehow they sell a bazillion burgers every year. 😂

But yeah, some people buy into the stigma of a game more than others. I’ve never felt judged on here for liking Telltale, but I know lots of people probably think I’m crazy for wasting my time and money on them. 😅

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Th3solution I had a Grand Big Mac for dinner like the philistine I am. Admittedly, I do now have a rager of a sore stomach. I’d like to think this is the equivalent of spending £80 on FIFA and getting a bunch of Crewe Alexandria players, Roberto and a ‘legend’ Filip Šebo.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic