Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,285

Gunnerzaurus

Not sure how "unpopular" this is, but while Xbox Games Pass is a GREAT (and I re-iterate, GREAT) deal for the consumer currently, it's ultimately going to be a huge net negative for the quality of games, the quality of development teams and for the consumers over time.

One thing is for certain is subscriptions are the future of gaming, Microsoft has ensured that. Enjoy the "honeymoon" period while it lasts is all I can really say at this point.

Gunnerzaurus

PSN: Gunnerzaurus

Th3solution

Not sure how unpopular this is but —
I like the PS4 UI better than the PS5 UI.
Having had time to become accustomed to the PS5 now (I’ve had it for almost a year now), I can safely say it’s not that it’s just the newness which is off-putting. I still don’t like the layout and the way you have to click around to get to things. The store is better and the trophy lists are now really well formatted, but the rest is pretty ‘meh’.

Also, now a year later … I still don’t like the chime sound for trophies. PS4 was better on that too. Sometimes I can barely hear the sound when I pop a trophy; the tone is too low and it’s too quiet. I earned a trophy playing Dirt 5 today that I didn’t even know I got because the sound was drown out by the raucous music in the game and I was concentrating on the road so didn’t see the icon in the corner when it popped.

Minor grievances, to be sure. I love my PS5 otherwise but who was the design committee that put these things together? It’s like it was changed for change’s sake.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution You're definitely not alone on that one, buddy. The PS5's UI desperately needs some major tweaking, and that's just for starters. I agree that the PS Store is an improvement (although I redeem a lot of codes, so I'm annoyed at how the menu for that and all other options is hidden at first, and requires an additional flick back up once you're in; feels like a backwards step compared to the simplicity of having a permanent sidebar with all sections clearly listed). I also agree that a lot of it feels like "change for change's sake" and have heard plenty from folks who got lost or frustrated with it early on, even if they've eventually come to the conclusion that they prefer it over the PS4. That being said, I don't mind the new trophy noise, and like that it feels fresh. I also love having a special ding for platinum trophies!

But by and large, yeah, it's partly why I haven't boxed up my PS4 Pro, and often return to it to play PS4 games which have no discernible benefits or upgrades on PS5. It's just nice to feel "back home" with it, and to revel in its cleanliness and convenience.

[starts banging desk and chanting "Folders! Folders! Folders!" over and over again]

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Voltan

@velio84 Upgrades and runes did make some difference in the endgame content (grinding in Niflheim, fighting the Valkyries). I imagine they were also more meaningful when just playing on higher difficulty settings - but I agree they didn't really matter that much if you just did the story on normal and I wasn't a huge fan of that part either.

Voltan

Anti-Matter

New Barbie games on PS5 is something I really waiting for.
PS5 need some girlie games just like PS4 already have.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@Anti-Matter I appreciate what you’re saying but can we just stop weirdly genderising games? There’s no such thing as a girlie game. Boys can play with Barbie dolls if they really want to. Girls can play whatever games they want to as well. It’s a bit reductive.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@lolwhatno It’s not rejecting reality at all, it’s challenging outdated nonsense. ‘Girlie games’ is a quite frankly pathetic label. What’s it even supposed to mean? If anybody tried to explain what makes a game for girls then they’d sound like a blustering fool. Gaming’s a bad enough community without imposing silly rules on what games you can play depending on your gender.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'm all for people enjoying anything they like, but some games are clearly designed with a young female demographic in mind. Barbie games are definitely in that wheelhouse, just like the toys they're based on. That's not a bad thing, and boys/men can and should be able to enjoy such products if they're so inclined (as Anti-Matter clearly is). That doesn't change the fact that they're primarily designed to appeal to young girls, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Whilst I completely agree with anybody or anything which wants to annihilate outdated gender stereotypes, it's also worth noting that English isn't the first language of a lot of folks around here, and that they might be reaching for easier, generalised terminology in order to make their point.

The PS5 is definitely lacking diversity in its most prominent software, and could use a few more titles showcasing the kinds of things Barbie and her pals enjoy (such as fashion, friendship and really small dogs). Whether that's up to the specific Barbie brand to represent or not, I don't think really matters, although I do think more people would notice and appreciate the effort if it was attached to a recognisable name. Otherwise you just end up with something that looks like a free-to-play smartphone game, and nobody would buy it, which then kills the chance of other publishers following suit and boom, we're back to a library full of shooters, superhero adventures and annual sports games. So yeah, maybe it should be Barbie!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HotGoomba

VR gaming is better than flat screen gaming.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

colonelkilgore

@JudgeDredd yeah I’d pretty much go along with that. I would say that I enjoy the Horizon games a little more than Spider-man games and I ain’t played any Ratchet games… but I’d probably have to put Insomniac into the top tier on output alone.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@JudgeDredd lol, which brings me to one of my unpopular gaming opinions, so appreciate the lay-up:

Horizon Forbidden West > Horizon Zero Dawn

**** DLC!

KilloWertz

@colonelkilgore But, but, Forbidden West is actually better, so...

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Wait a minute… you’ve not played any Ratchet games? As in, one of the premier OG Sony exclusives?
I think you might enjoy the series. The PS4 reboot is a great starting place. I didn’t play all the older PS2 and PS3 games and really enjoyed the PS4 game and Rift Apart as well. They aren’t quite GOTY material but are very fun games and good palate cleansers between the gritty dark realistic thrillers and mature titles. Don’t let the art style dissuade you — there’s some great gameplay at the core.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

colonelkilgore wrote:

Horizon Forbidden West > Horizon Zero Dawn

This is the unpopular opinion topic, buddy, not the true facts topic.

Although I will say that it's incredibly close between the two, and that each one gets different things right enough to be in contention, so I do understand those who prefer the original.

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah I do plan on playing them… well the PS4 reboot and Rift Apart anyway. I just don’t fancy playing them really but am sure that when I start one I’ll enjoy it.

@RogerRoger yeah, it just seems ‘accepted’ knowledge online that Forbibben West was not only inferior to the original but poor also. Strange how things become ‘facts’ online.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore The R&C story is quite silly and forgettable, imo (the series has its fans who would say that’s underselling) but the games play really smoothly and have such satisfying combat and weaponry.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic