Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,271

Th3solution

@Elodin I didn’t care for Dishonored when I played it for a few hours on PS3. I never went back. I heard some other people criticize Deathloop because of its structure and difficulty getting invested into it. They say it eventually gets good, but 15 hours should be plenty of time to bring you in. Apparently there is no arguing the slick gameplay, it’s more the weird and confusing structure which just gets in the way of the fun gameplay. I have no plans to play it, even before your feedback, but your thoughts reinforce that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I’d say it’s worth a go. The structure is interesting, it keeps you constantly discovering new things instead of trying the same section over and over. Immersive sims are one of my favourite genres and Deathloop is a much much better example of the genre than Dishonored and Bioshock.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett I’ll keep an open mind, but it will be down the list for a while. It’s curious how polarizing the game is.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution The weird rhetoric surrounding the game is really irritating. There are genuine things to criticise about the game but I’ve seen an awful lot of ‘real gamers don’t like the game’ and ‘the user score matters more than shill critics’ being said. Dunno whether that’s because it’s the last Bethesda game on PlayStation or because it reviewed better than Ratchet & Clank or whatever. A whole lot of the bad word on this site especially is rather embarrassing with how mean-spirited it is. Reminds me a lot of when TLOU2 came out.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Among fans around here I’ve seen mostly positive feedback, and the official PS review was 8/10. Perhaps all the GOTY talk has created some overreaction from those who merely found the game to be “good” or “okay” given it doesn’t sound quite up to measure for a normal year, yet is being lifted up as the best game of the weak year that was 2021.

Having not played the game, I’m not sure but people say it’s unnecessarily contorted and the menus are a mess to navigate. I understand there are puzzle-like tricks to find people at certain times of day and suss out how to assassinate targets, but If you can ever get past all that then the gameplay feels great, I’ve read. Ironically, I suppose it’s not unlike Retunal in that sense that if you just try to pop in and skim the surface that you’ll find a really tight, fun gameplay experience but will have a hard time fully enjoying it without pushing past the quirky obstacles in pacing, narrative, and world building.

Voltan

@nessisonett Ghostwire Tokyo is another Bethesda game coming out exclusively on PlayStation (and PC) soon, just saying

Voltan

Kidfried

@Th3solution Game didn't click with me, even after 20 hours. Dishonored never completely clicked with me either, even though I did multiple playthroughs and all the DLC. Call me stubborn.

There are just some things about Arkane's games I don't like, and no matter how hard I try will never like.

The first thing is that their games don't have writing that I think is engaging. Yes, world building is great, but the writing just doesn't have any "heart". People are just bad or selfish and they all talk in one liners.

The games are very stylish, but it's hard for me to shake this idea that the devs chose style over substance.

Finding out when to kill who in Deathloop is a bit like a very slow Sudoku - that's interrupted with you having to kill the same guards over again as you did yesterday.

The levels are great, if you only had to play them once or twice. Game became a chore for me and I dropped out. And the writing just wasn't good enough for me to want to see the ending.

It's the only game I bought last year that I regret buying. I really admire Arkane for making this game, and there's a lot to like, but it's just not for me.

Kidfried

Jimmer-jammer

I haven’t played Deathloop yet so this may change but I still think that Prey is Arkane’s magnum opus. It’s well worth giving a go if you haven’t yet.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Th3solution

Kidfried wrote:

Finding out when to kill who in Deathloop is a bit like a very slow Sudoku -

Oooph, I hate Sudoku. 😂

But thanks, I’ll definitely take your experience into account too.

colonelkilgore

Big fan of Arkane (well I loved the Dishonored games anyway). I’m hoping to fit a replay of both relatively soonish to mop up the plats and then really looking forward to playing Prey too. For some reason Deathloop doesn’t appeal to me quite as much (I think it’s the whole loop thing tbh… but that aspect might surprise me) but I do plan on playing it eventually.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Elodin

@Jimmer-jammer I agree Prey was fantastic, so many options to how to get things done and the enemies as everyday objects had me weary of everything lol.

Elodin

Kidfried

@Th3solution I hate complaning about games. And I would love to love Deathloop. And I know there's definitely an audience that will surely enjoy a game like Deathloop. But on the other hand, it really is a game that needs a disclaimer.

Kidfried

johncalmc

My unpopular opinion is that all of the unpopular opinions that Prey is actually good are wrong and it's pretty naff. It's whatever. 6 all day.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Jimmer-jammer

@Elodin yeah that was a really cool mechanic! I loved the amount of freedom the player was given as well.

@johncalmc glad I played at night then, where it’s clearly a 10.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

BAMozzy

Personally, I am NOT the biggest Arcane fan either. From the first trailer, Deathloop has never been on my 'watch' list and the more I've watched, read and heard about the game, the more its reinforced that this is perhaps not my type of game. In fact, I'd go so far to say that when it comes to 'Game Pass', I'm still not likely to try it.

I think part of the attraction for some and issue for others is that this is a game where you have to 'read' everything, pay attention to everything - even the 'idle' chatter between NPC's and notice the differences depending on what time of day you 'visit' each section. Each time, you are expected to 'learn' more and more that enable you to do 'more and more' things on each playthrough. When that clicks and things, inc the 'story' and 'reason' behind things become 'clearer', that's when it seems that people start 'raving' about it but that's not what I tend to want from a game.

Ghostwire: Tokyo doesn't appeal to me either but then everyone has different tastes and preferences. A review is an opinion only and I use them more to find out if the developers executed on their vision, paying more attention to any potential issues that are mentioned across several reviews rather than the score. There are a LOT of games that were rated very highly, winner of Awards etc that I can't stand (SoulsBorne, MGS etc) and many games that averaged '6/10' that I had a LOT more fun and enjoyed playing a LOT more so I don't put to much 'weight' on others opinion.

A combination of game-play trailers, reviews and 'research' help me to decide if I would like to play it or not. I couldn't care less if Mortal Kombat 12 (for example) is a GotY winner with 100% on Metacritic with over 100 reviews, I don't enjoy Fighting games so wouldn't buy it regardless...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Qu1n0n3z

I love games and I don't like to complaint to be honest but this is a good opportunity for me to throw a few in:

Metroid Dread: Awful UI, hate controls, boring enemies, (not big fan of the genre I guess)
Any superheroes and sports games: (except Batman, oh boy)
Nintendo's business model and 80% of their games along with the switch (cr*p hardware and I don't care about portability)

and that's it =) peace out

Edited on by Qu1n0n3z

Qu1n0n3z

Qu1n0n3z

@HotGoomba Love this one and tbh I'm one of those that complains (only with me) about paying $60 for a 2D and that's why I just simply don't do it but to be fair I'm not paying $60 for a yearly sports games either so the balance is good I guess =D.

Qu1n0n3z

Anti-Matter

Girlie games like Barbie / Cooking Mama / Imagine series / My Universe games / Style Savvy are way much fun to play than AAA Western games.

I hate Westernized in games with idea of rated M games all the time. I mean why the heck you have to feed your brain with such gruesome stuffs like that ?
Did you hate to being nice people ?

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

Iver wrote:

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Now, I don't do it and I find it annoying. Extremely annoying. But do snipers run around actual battlefields?

Quoted for truth. Don't do it, have never done it, but totally respect it, and if I were actually any good with a sniper rifle then I'd definitely consider it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HotGoomba

I hate it when people, on Twitter or on this website or beyond, call Xbox players toxic but then turn around and brag about having better games (with is subjective) and also call them Xbots.

Not saying that Xbox fanboys don't do it, but I've seen it being more common with PlayStation fans.

Sorry, has to rub that off my chest after seeing a comment on this very website.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic