Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 1,285

RogerRoger

@RR529 I'm pretty sure anybody picking up and playing Sonic & the Secret Rings would have a hard time getting into it, but fair enough all the same!

You've seen the populist highlights, so maybe the franchise just ain't your thing?

PS: Don't feel guilty, by the way. I'm a huge and lifelong Sonic fanboy, and I still never managed to beat any of the classic games until Sonic Mega Collection Plus came along with that autosave feature! I can't (or rather, won't) play the classics without it. An essential upgrade, for sure!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BowTiesAreCool

007 Bloodstone is the best Bond game ever made, by an absolute mile.

I said what I said.

BowTiesAreCool

BowTiesAreCool

@Arugula I'll have to google Nightfire. Which one was the Mega Drive one with Timothy Dalton on the cover? Side scroller, you could fight Jaws and Oddjob. Had a lot of fun with that when I was little.

BowTiesAreCool

nessisonett

@BowTiesAreCool Nightfire is brilliant. I actually haven’t played Blood Stone as I have a bit of an odd PS3 library.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@BowTiesAreCool If you're having to Google the EA era of Bond games to learn about NightFire, then I strongly recommend you also look up its sequel, James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing. If you liked the cinematic third-person variety presented in Blood Stone 007, then you should definitely check out where it got its inspiration from.

There was also an interactive adaptation of From Russia With Love made shortly thereafter, which used the same template (albeit not as well).

And the MegaDrive game you're thinking of was called James Bond 007: The Duel. It looks like tons of fun. My one regret is that I became a huge Bond fan right after we got rid of the family MegaDrive, because I would've loved trying it out.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Been meaning to say this for a while and I bet nobody's surprised to hear this after my feelings on FFVII being well known but...

... I don't think much of Chrono Trigger either 😶

The battle system's nice and the trial scene IS good. Plus ya know the whole coining and popularising New game+ is neat but...

Eh I didn't really like any of the characters (Except maybe the cavewoman lady and the science girl) and the plot didn't wow me. Plus the artwork... Well ya know I don't think much of Akira Toriyama's "artistry" 😂

Also Lavos looked kinda dumb despite being a world ending alien (And isn't Jenova from FFVII kinda a rehash of it?)

... I kinda wanna try Chrono Cross though despite not thinking much of CT.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Anti-Matter

I bought PS3 and PS4 machines just only to play kids games.

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It was fine in the 16-bit era, but it definitely doesn't hold up as one of the greatest games of all time. And, frankly, isn't as good as Final Fantasy VI. Of course, that won't stop 90's kids online from dragging you over the coals for saying that.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Toriyama's art, either. It's ugly. I like Dragon Quest games IN SPITE of his contributions, frankly.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I’m also not into Toriyama’s art at all. So yeah, Dragon Quest is very much a gameplay and story deal for me as Sugiyama’s a bag of wet flatulence too 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

Don't kid about such things @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy! If I was sitting on a chair I'd have fallen off it.

@Ralizah Tbh I oscillate between preferring Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger. FF6 has a far better story and characters, but Chrono Trigger is less demanding. Toriyama's character designs are so similar across everything he does, but I do love the monsters in Dragon Quest.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Lol sorry @mookysam but you'll have to fall out that chair! I never kid about finding a "Legendary" game pretty meh!

... To be honest I completely forgot there was man turned into a Frog @Voltan. Not that makes him any better or worse of a character

Dunno why but I actually thought you might be quite big on Chrono Trigger @Ralizah.

-looks away- I uhh... "Sailed the seven seas" to try FFVI about ten or so years ago... I made it about an hour in (I saw Kefka I think at the desert castle place that is destroyed) before getting bored of it and deleting it 😳

And yeah we spoke about the artwork earlier in the year I believe when I ended up trying that super extended demo for DQXI.

... I hated the music so damn much 😅

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's weird, because the gameplay isn't typically anything special, either. And, while I've not played a ton of these games, the stories have been pretty traditional JRPG fare so far.

Sugiyama was no Uematsu, but he did compose some absolutely iconic tracks for the series. But, IMO, he got lazier as time went on. DQXI had hardly any original music in it.

At least now we probably won't have to deal with whoever the new person is not wanting their symphonic compositions to be used in future games.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nah, I've never fully understood the love for CT. It's... fine. Probably another game where I came to it too late, as I didn't play it until the NDS re-release.

FFVI might be a little slow in places, but it's absolutely a classic, and it has one hell of a mid-game twist. Shockingly dark compared to previous games as well.

In that case, I also came to it late, although not quite as much. I played through the GBA re-release. Which is still, IMO, the definitive version of the game, although maybe the pixel remaster version will become that soon.

You're really not taking to these classic SE JRPGs, eh?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Anti-Matter

Hello Kitty Mission Rescue is my best choice for OG XBOX collection.
Untitled
This is the reason i will get OG XBOX, for Hello Kitty.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

nomither6

@FullbringIchigo ''I think the 3D Sonic games are more fun that the 2D one, i love the 2D ones but i enjoy the 3D ones more ''

FACTS !!! i feel the same way about that too ! 3D sonic games are way more fun & engaging . granted i'm a 2000's kid so i was introduced to sonic with the 3D games , but still . i have the 2D games , & they just don't hit the same . that goes for mostly ANY 2D game to be honest ; mario as well .

My unpopular opinion though - Multiplayer and CO-OP is better than single player . More re-playability & more of a challenge , with experiences that are never the same . and more longevity to keep coming back and playing the game .

nomither6

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nah, I've never fully understood the love for CT. It's... fine. Probably another game where I came to it too late, as I didn't play it until the NDS re-release.

FFVI might be a little slow in places, but it's absolutely a classic, and it has one hell of a mid-game twist. Shockingly dark compared to previous games as well.

In that case, I also came to it late, although not quite as much. I played through the GBA re-release. Which is still, IMO, the definitive version of the game, although maybe the pixel remaster version will become that soon.

You're really not taking to these classic SE JRPGs, eh?

FF I is... Okay I guess? (And totally rips off D&D for most of it's monster designs and the spell system).

FF II was boring as sin and has a good decent in theory but terrible in execution leveling system.

I did REALLY like the DS version of FF 3 when it initially released though I didn't enjoy it much going through it again a couple of years ago.

FF IV DS was a bit meh though. Nice voice acting but the story is complete drivel and all the fakeout's are annoying.

I really wanna try FF V though for it's lauded job system.

I'd like to retry FFVI properly some time. Hopegully the Pixel remasters make their way over to consoles.

FF VIII... I got go the end of the 1st disc and stopped. Squall is a terrible protagonist.

and I've never tried FF IX.

Soooo... Yeah. Considering my first FF was FFX-2 and I unashamedly love that game (The battle system us really nice and snappy and the job systen is great)... Yeaaaah I might not be the best judge of classic Square RPG's Ral

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

HotGoomba

Ok, here's my hot and controversial take.

People need to stop whining about 2D platformers being $60 when most of those same people are willing to play $60, hell, $70 on a yearly sports game.

What makes Fifa 22 worth more than Metroid Dread?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Elodin

I did not like Deathloop. Rave reviews everywhere, not for me and I loved the Dishonored games. I wanted to like it, but it just was so so for me. I never felt pulled into the story. It might be do to the masks everyone was wearing. It also could have been that I only played 15ish hours worth. It wasn't strong enough to hold me though.

Elodin

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic