Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,861 to 3,880 of 4,463

Octane

@PegasusActual93 Sterilised water would be fine (minus plastic pollution), but water bottles aren't sterilised. Canned food is. It won't spoil because nothing is able to grow in it. Dried stuff like grains and jerky would also be fine after that many years, assuming it didn't get hydrated.

Octane

Octane

@Kidfried YES! That's it! Her character felt like something out of TWD, that's why it felt like a bad fit.

Octane

Th3solution

@zupertramp “fungus doesn’t work that way anyway” - haha! yeah, it’s been another point of difficulty for me in the show. In the video game it seems like they explained just enough to make cordyceps jumping host species kind of believable…, but when the show has tried to double-down a little more on the science of it, it’s come across a wee bit unbelievable. Not to the detriment of the show at large, but a couple times I’ve had internal eye-roll moments. It’s mostly a ‘me’ problem though.

For me it tends to be a common issue in movies and shows — There’s a fine line with trying to explain too much about the technology, the science, or the magic. But I am unfortunately the kind of viewer who does wonder about the little details. I guess it’s part of my obsessive personality. I have to actively turn off some of the critical thinking because, yeah — who the heck is mowing the grass?! 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@Th3solution hey, I see what you did there. Bringing that back around. I believe that's known as a "call back."

But yeah, just about anything zombie related is a bit iffy in my opinion. I guess the most plausible cause would be something more like Toxoplasma where it's known to cause increased aggression even in humans. Even then though, slightly more aggressive is a far cry from brain craving undead.

So like you, I shut my critical thinking off and go with it.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

XandertheWise

been watching season 2 of Riverdale this week. still have a few episodes left to watch.

Man, Cheryl, Betty and Jughead are kind of annoying in Season 2 especially creepy Cheryl

XandertheWise

CJD87

@XandertheWise - The guiltiest of guilty pleasures! I caught this during the pandemic, and I have never watched anything so entertainingly dreadful in my entire life.

So utterly more-ish, but absolutely batsh*t bonkers! The shows really begins to go off the rails around seasons 2-3.... but actually becomes more addictive as a result!

Some of the writing is just so cracked out.... it is like someone took the very worst parts of One Tree Hill, Glee, Scream and The Twilight Zone - then stuck it in a blender and hoped for the best. The result being truly terrible, but utterly addictive.

I still hate myself for having enjoyed this show so much - Lord forgive me, I know not what I do.... lol

CJD87

XandertheWise

@CJD87 yeah Riverdale is just weird especially with the last half of season 2 with Betty and Cheryl

But i like the show anyway . Ill watch season 3 and then stop watching it hopefully. I need to catch up on another guilty pleasure dumb show that i really enjoyed which was Gilmore Girls when it was on the WB/CW years ago

XandertheWise

XandertheWise

also, you can pretty much do a drinking game when Jughead's dad keep saying "Boy" or when Cheryl does her usual thing on the show

XandertheWise

oliverp

While Iam not a huge fan of Tv-shows I have for the last couple of days somewhat enjoyed watching a few a few episods of Scooby-Doo on HBOMax. I think it decently funny and makes me a bit nostligic. While Anime was popular a few years ago not to many I know are that interested in cartoons these days (the same can also been said about games)..

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

XandertheWise

Riverdale season 2 was pretty good but dumb at the same time.

Jughead's dad kept saying "Boy" all the time. Plus Cheryl being even more weird and clingy and Archie being a dimwit also

XandertheWise

zupertramp

So TLoU episode 6 was, uh... something. Think I'm pretty much hanging on out of morbid curiosity now. All the things I've just been overlooking are really piling up. Disappointing but hey, maybe it's for some people and there's always the game so, win win.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Th3solution

@zupertramp I thought this week’s episode was middling. It was effective enough and I liked the interactions of Joel and Ellie, which is where the show is stirring my nostalgia for the game the most. The interactions of the of the other characters, namely Tommy, just didn’t feel right. Something is off about Tommy and Joel’s relationship. Still, I’m enjoying it nonetheless.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution This episode is among my favorite for the show actually. I hardly ever cry, but I did almost during the first scene between Tommy and Joel. It felt very real to me.

There's a lot of conflict within Joel about his brother: he felt abandoned by him, but is also very jealous of him now, the mortality stuff with Joel just being in worse shape. And for me the show captured all of that in the conversations between the brothers. Better than the game in my opinion; I replayed the Tommy's Dam chapter immediately after the episode. I'll hope to play the University chapter tonight.

I think this was the episode were Pedro's and Bella's acting really shone. Yes I was already very much enamoured with them, but this episode tasked them, more than before due to the breakneck speed and "three months later" from the start, with the changing relationship between them, but also this episode gave them a lot of time in the spotlight for showing their feelings. And they didn't disappoint.

Also, the choice to skip a lot of stuf was a great one. Playing through the game there is actually quite a lot of scenes that are pretty gamey and wouldn't translate that well to a series. Cutting out these action scenes is really the only way. And it's miles better than these forces action scenes Walking Dead added to each episode.

By the way, beautifully filmed! Captured the Western feel.

Also really so many great touches: the diary scene was recreated perfectly, the Rugby/American Football conversation (I have no idea what they are talking about there), etc.

And I really really appreciated how they let Ellie learn about the death of Joel's daughter. It gave more depth to Tommie and Maria, answered the question why Maria would talk about Sarah in the first place and gave us a great solo Ellie scene too, which hardly are in the game. It's brilliant how the TV series is the story of Joel AND Ellie whereas the game can feel a bit like it's about Joel, and Ellie is a sidekick or something.

Kidfried

Kidfried

I'm not someone who enjoys a lot of TV, but with White Lotus and TLOU 2023 is already a highlight year for television.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried I’m pleased that you’ve really harmonized so well with the show and it seems like the act of playing Part I in close proximity has enhanced the experience for both the game and the show. After reading much or your and others’ praise I think it’s a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’ I play the Part I Remake eventually.

With all the years that have passed since my one and only playthrough of the game, I’m sketchy on the details of the smaller plot points. The memories start to come back when I see some of these details in the show, but it’s strange which parts I remember and which I don’t. The diary for example I had forgotten that was in the game. But the heated conversation with Joel and Ellie sounded like an almost word-for-word re-creation from what I remember.

And some of the memories are dim and enhanced with a glossy overcoat, like our brains tend to do. We remember more how things made us feel, rather than the granular detail of what was said and done. At least I do. So that’s where I just seemed to recall Tommy and Joel’s relationship different, but I think I’m misremembering what it actually was.

I believe you’ve not played Part II (if that aforementioned faulty memory of mine serves) so what’s your plans there? Are you going to wait for the next TV season in hopes it has an accurate reflection of the game and have a similar side-by-side comparison experience, or will you jump straight over to the next game? I’m very curious how you’ll receive Part II.

zupertramp

@Th3solution I've fairly recently played Part 1 as well, as I'm definitely one of the "suckers" who bought it at launch, and I highly recommend it especially if it's been awhile. For me it hadn't been that long, having replayed it both right before the release of Part 2 (which I love just as much even if it's a more complicated love) and right after. I've played it A LOT lol.

And I don't think you're misremembering Joel and Tommy's relationship. In the game they're essentially estranged family members (definitely can relate there) who reunite because the circumstances necessitate it. And it shows in their first one on one interaction that almost turns into a fish fights between brothers (also, relatable). Also it's been years since they've seen each other in the game, in the show only 3-4 months I believe, having just been back in Boston together I presume. Some of that has actually been a little muddled and hard to follow in the show so someone can please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, none of those changes are bad per se. I just still think some things worked better in the game. And I think they've drastically changed Joel's personality, or at least have decided to show him dealing with grief in a different way. Conversely, some aspects have definitely been reworked to the series' benefit but unfortunately, for my money, the bad is currently outweighing the good.

And as far as TWD comparisons go, I will admit TLoU has not hit the lows that show did thus far but at the same time it definitely hasn't come anywhere near the highs imo. And TWD definitely came out swinging for what it's worth.

Edited on by zupertramp

Kidfried

@Th3solution Your memory is quite good.

I haven't played TLOU2. The whole discourse surrounding it was so toxic at launch, so I decided to hold off on it to prevent it from souring my experience. If I'm constantly thinking about what side I'm on with regards to its reception, it'll hurt my immersion.
A little bit similar to why I was super excited for Days Gone, but waited until the storm died down to play it.

I'll play the game sometimes later this year. I'm trying not to go ahead of the television series playing TLOU1 (which requires restraint!), and after both the series finale and the end of this game, I'll probably wait a few months before TLOU2, so I'm not burned out with its characters.

And like @zupertramp mentioned, you are actually correct in your remembrance of their relationship being different. It's not completely clear how, though. There's just a lot in the series that's not really explained (like the time between when they met last; although I think it's suggested that it's the same), but also a lot in the game that's very vague surrounding their relationship. I don't really mind it in either the series or the game, anyone can use their imagination.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@zupertramp I quite enjoyed the first few seasons of TWD. I can’t remember where finally dropped off… somewhere around season 3 or 4. It was still pretty engaging, but I was falling further and further behind and as they kept dropping new seasons with no end in sight I lost interest from a narrative standpoint, as I prefer stories that have a clear direction with a conclusion in mind. I’m not sure if TWD finished with any solid finality. I guess this past season was supposed to be the last…? I’m not sure. But in fairness, TV shows will commonly fall victim to the “milk it for all its worth” approach rather than a true established creative and artistic vision for the series to end on a high note. So TWD isn’t alone in it’s meandering pace.

Th3solution

@Kidfried That’s wise to have tried as much as possible to separate your Part II playthrough from the general uproar. Having played it for the first time about 1 year ago I felt I had mostly avoided any influence from the heated discourse on the game. But it’s hard not to have some subconscious bias, given the overt visibility of Naughty Dog and the franchise. And unfortunately as the TV show and Part I remake have ramped up the public consciousness of Part II, there is much of the that opinionated schism about it resurfacing.

As a fan of Part II, I completely respect the honest and logical alternate views and opinions about it, but I don’t care for the socio-political issues that have been levied at its expense. Thankfully most of that has died down and the detractors now are more reasonable in their disapproval of Part II and do so sensibly.

Either way, I know you and I often concur on most games, so I anticipate you getting along really well with Part II, especially reading how much you are currently enjoying Part I. However, I could be totally wrong. So whenever you do play it, go in completely blind and with no preconceived expectations! 😄

RR529

Eureka 7 (Blu-Ray)

I first watched this years ago on Adult Swim & it absolutely captivates me everytime I watch it (I binged all 50 episodes in 2 weeks, lol). Really has to be one of my favorite romance stories in anime, and what's not to love about giant robots? Has some of the best pieces of OP music ever as well (especially OPs 2 & 4).

Trailer:

OP2:

OP4:

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic