Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,881 to 2,900 of 4,400

LtSarge

Finished watching The Witcher season 2. Great season! Even though nothing really major happened this season, it's clear that they're building up for more eventful upcoming seasons and I can't wait for the next one! I also feel like I'm learning a lot about The Witcher universe: the characters, the politics and so on, and hopefully this knowledge will make things easier for me when I inevitably start playing the games.

LtSarge

NedStarksGhost

@RogerRoger what an incredible episode. It is by far the most excited I've felt after the end of an episode this season. So, so well done. Love the fact they're incorporating the prequel trilogy. Like you, felt just like a kid again watching it. Overjoyed by what I was watching!

I was engrossed by the BD droid! It is unbelievably adorable, when it does it's little happy dance especially! So happy they've shown it live action. Does it also hint at Cal Kestis joining the live action fold?!

Bryce Dallas Howard really did an excellent job with this, I'd be happy to see her get a series of her own!

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

RogerRoger

@NedStarksGhost Yeah, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Bryce Dallas Howard's episodes before, and this was no exception. She's such a skilled director, and really taps into what makes Star Wars so magical. I really hope she'll continue to contribute to the franchise going forward.

I don't think the BD unit was specifically Cal's BD-1, so doubt we'll be seeing Cal, if only because his appearance several years after Return of the Jedi would undercut any dramatic tension in any inevitable sequels to Jedi: Fallen Order (unless there's a massive timeskip, and we rejoin the adventures of Cal, Cere and Greez some thirty years down the line). It was still adorable to see represented in live action, packed with all the personality and features of its virtual counterpart! Such a great addition!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Iver I have a friend who raves about The Legend of Korra and, from what I gather, it seems like a huge hit with everybody who watches it. What streaming service is it on?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Iver Ah, of course. Thanks for the reminder! Did a quick Google and it looks like we've got it on Amazon Prime, so I'll add it to my watchlist next time I'm on. Cheers!

Making It So Since 1987

PhhhCough

Peacemaker, pretty good show. "I cherish peace with all my heart. I dont care how many men, women or children I have to kill to get it."šŸ˜†, Murica!

PhhhCough

RogerRoger

@Iver Thanks for the endorsement! It sure sounds like something I'd enjoy. Many shows struggle to balance moment-to-moment storytelling with a broader, meaningful character arc, so it deserves kudos for that regardless, I reckon. Never seen Avatar before, but I'll check and see if its available anyway, as I've also heard good things about it (not quite as good as Korra, but enough to make me curious).

Making It So Since 1987

R1spam

@PhhhCough It's not hit the UK yet but I've heard nothing but good things. Hope it comes to a UK streaming service soon, I can't be bothered trying to vpn etc through the tv.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

nessisonett

Finished The Good Lord Bird which was probably one of the best miniseries Iā€™ve seen in a good long while. Joshua Caleb Johnson put in a fantastic performance for quite a young guy, heā€™s got to be about 14 or 15 in it. Ethan Hawke was also great as John Brown but then heā€™s always great really. Thereā€™s a lot of programs out there about the slave trade but I canā€™t believe itā€™s taken until now for me to watch something about John Brownā€™s story considering the massive impact it had on the Civil War. I studied the raid at Harpers Ferry a bit in high school but heā€™s very much a figure shoved under the carpet. Itā€™s interesting how similar his raids and such are to saints like Joan of Arc, these people whoā€™re warriors but for a righteous cause and are clearly godly at the same time. I guess I just expected him to be canonized but then he was Protestant and I really donā€™t know how the Saint system works in those denominations.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett To my knowledge, the belief in most Protestant denominations is salvation by grace alone, through faith alone because of Christ alone, thus no one can be ā€œsaintlierā€ or ā€œcloser to Godā€ so to speak. You wonā€™t really find a saint system analogous to Catholicismā€¦sounds like an interesting show. Iā€™ll have to check it out.

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@Jimmer-jammer Cheers, given my rather biased schooling at a Catholic school, never really learned much about other denominations. It makes sense though, a lot of the stuff John Brown says in the show is very much against idolatry, false prophets etc. The interesting thing is that white historians have only recently seen him as an important figure as they used to write him off as a bit of a nutter, whereas black historians praised him as an influential abolitionist and his raids directly leading to emancipation going back to his contemporaries.

Edited on by nessisonett

Jimmer-jammer

@nessisonett I really donā€™t know enough about him, so Iā€™ll be interested to watch the show. I know Malcolm X had a favourable opinion of himā€¦his willingness to promote violence seems at odds with his religious convictions but his cause was completely righteous. It sounds like a fascinating story!

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

Tasuki

Watched the first three episodes of The Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon Prime. It's an animated series based of Critical Role's Dungeon and Dragons.streams. Alot of familiar voice actors here reprise their characters from the table top game, Travis Willingham (Full Metal Alchemist, Marvel's Spider-man), Laura Bailey (Fruits Basket, Marvel's Spider-man, World of Warcrat) Ashley Johnson (The Last of Us, Infinity Train), Liam O' Brien (World of Warcraft) Sam Riegel (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Phoenix Wright) Taliesin Jaffe (Street Fighter IV, World of Warcraft) and Marisha Ray (Persona 4, Far Cry New Dawn).

First off this show is not for kids, the F bomb is dropped alot, there is nudity and sexual scenes and of course blood and gore.

The first three episodes basically tell the story on how the group is formed and there first big victory as a group of adventures and then sets the stage for the rest of the series.

I thought they did a great job on the animated series the animation was great, voice acting of was awesome of course. Alot of action particularly the second episode. Definitely worth a watch. One nice thing with the series, they did it so you don't even have to know anything about Critical Role's web series you can just watch Vox Machina.

If you enjoy fantasy type shows like Game of Thrones, Witcher, Wheel of Time etc this will probably be worth your time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

LtSarge

Finished watching season 6 of DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Honestly, I'm still not used to the show's less serious tone now but I've at least enjoyed most of the episodes. The last couple of ones were really good and I'm curious to see what season 7 will be like. Even though it's already out, I think I'm going to take a break and watch other shows in the meantime.

LtSarge

Voltan

HBO Max is coming to Poland in March and I'm technically already subscribed. Not bad.
I hope the app is better than HBO Go

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan HBO Max is quite robust. Itā€™s my second favorite streaming app to Disney+, better than Netflix actually. Lots of good content, both internal productions (Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, etc.) as well as rotating externally produced movies. Have all the DC content in one place is fabulous, both the DCEU and the animated shows.

Of course I havenā€™t had time to really watch all that I want on it, but my watchlist is quite long.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Voltan

@Th3solution I meant the app as in the software itself. I have no doubt the HBO content is good, but running the HBO Go stream in a browser on my laptop was a great way to test if the CPU cooling was efficient enough (and heat the apartment while at it)
The iOS one was ok but still far from Netflix level of functionality.

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan Oh, I see. Iā€™m not sure about the HBO Go app, but in my experience the HBO Max app runs well. Probably not quite as snappy or fancy as the Netflix app, but itā€™s a little simpler interface and more streamlined. I donā€™t ever have issues with any more lag or crashes than usual.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

nessisonett

After Drag Race UKā€™s underwhelming third season, Iā€™m glad to see it back on top with Drag Race UK Vs The World. Watching a clown dressed as a sperm cell ghost give birth to sliced meat is exactly what I want to see on a Tuesday night.

robhr

We've been rewatching The Sopranos. Haven't seen it since it first came out when I was quite young. I think it may be my favourite TV drama upon rewatching. Other than that we've been watching Succession and The Leftovers and will eventually get to the new season of Ozark and the new Dexter.

The Leftovers is good and dark, I like dark, but I have a problem... It feels like it's written by puritans because of the level of debauchery the people left behind practice. If they're trying to say we're all a little dark that's cool, but if they're saying everybody who doesn't get raptured or whatever is pure evil then I've got a problem. I mean if you want to be a puritan that's fine but don't call me evil.

robhr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic